[SOLVED] Need help with one of my CEPH nodes

Overveiw of my Configuration

I am on the latest version of Proxmox 7 nodes total, 3 dedicated to just host CEPH, no VM or LXC, I have 3 CEPH pools divided int devices class; HDD, SSD, NVME. The one I need help with is the HDD pool in a 2/3 configuration and where I do my bulk storage via unprivileged passthrough over cephfs.
The boot SSD can be ignored completely and the NVME device can be ignored for now if they show up in any of the outputs I post.

Overview of my issue I am trying to resolve

Been stuck running in circles trying to get one of my CEPH nodes back online. Been at it for a few days between prompting an LLM, online communities, and hardware troubleshooting.

The TL;DR of my issue is as follows
1 of my nodes from a ceph 2/3 configuration isn’t picking the drives in LVM and ceph fails to set them to UP after a hardware change. They do, however show up in lsblk

The full details of my issue is as follows
A node failed to power back on after a routine update. Narrowed it down to either the motherboard or PSU. I went for the motherboard first since for the PSU; I don’t know if it was the redundant modules dying at the same time (highly unlikely for anyone who doesn’t have my bad luck), the the power distribution board they slot into, or possibly faulty cables to the motherboard/CPU. Turned out motherboard was the wrong choice, since I wasn’t sure which part of the PSU was the issue, I just bought a new (used) chassis, and shifted my mentality from its wasting money to I need to add a fourth node in the future anyways to make it a 3/4 instead of a 2/3, I’ll just hang onto it for that. I decided to keep the new motherboard in, one other thing that changed, instead of running 4 SFF-8643 from each HBA to each backplane, this chassis came with the original wiring, which only ran 2 from the HBA to the backplane (I think they split IIRC), mainly because those chassis are a pain in the ass to rewire. I kept both HBA’s though and split the backplanes 2 - 2 between the 2 HBA’s

The meat and potatos

what I’ve found on my own so far

blkid shows the devices
Output of blkid

/dev/sdy: UUID="Sf56nw-UHtc-fagE-jC0t-3JVl-I3EV-qve17p" TYPE="LVM2_member"
/dev/mapper/ceph--74f4d41b--17bd--40fc--85db--cc911a9c62e3-osd--block--d67facbc--a33a--47ad--9149--95b29552bf50: TYPE="ceph_bluestore"
/dev/sdf: UUID="gTYMNV-gYkg-YtkG-Txt7-DjUT-2eOF-f1mAZ7" TYPE="LVM2_member"
/dev/mapper/ceph--d402377f--ad20--4b78--a64f--3dab06e56717-osd--block--96dbfa75--1f2d--459b--9bfe--e23332b3ce2a: TYPE="ceph_bluestore"
/dev/sdab: UUID="NdSaeg-xof6-of1x-wffq-33ky-CW8v-ed5Kjp" TYPE="LVM2_member"
/dev/nvme0n1: UUID="ff9ut5-wZHj-Ubkw-e5I8-1Gd9-RPD5-GxIk71" TYPE="LVM2_member"
/dev/sdo: UUID="D76b9G-D7L7-hcnM-sujM-e5EM-ZU0o-1zBBxC" TYPE="LVM2_member"
/dev/sdw: UUID="QGzbN2-CEwl-fXmn-blBM-v193-slac-ZoIuZ4" TYPE="LVM2_member"
/dev/sdd: UUID="gcImln-kprW-u6yy-bvxY-Hsif-A2VH-GoNLE1" TYPE="LVM2_member"
/dev/mapper/ceph--3fc05ed9--59d8--49e3--bc8d--298c9a0e9b23-osd--block--b1432435--d44c--4c2b--b796--54faa4d257e7: TYPE="ceph_bluestore"
/dev/sdm: UUID="NdSaeg-xof6-of1x-wffq-33ky-CW8v-ed5Kjp" TYPE="LVM2_member"
/dev/sdu: UUID="gTYMNV-gYkg-YtkG-Txt7-DjUT-2eOF-f1mAZ7" TYPE="LVM2_member"
/dev/sdb2: LABEL_FATBOOT="EFI" LABEL="EFI" UUID="C0F0-1E54" BLOCK_SIZE="512" TYPE="vfat" PARTUUID="8b2d1806-70e8-4029-917d-507db741940d"
/dev/sdb3: LABEL="rpool" UUID="14862405257286652260" UUID_SUB="11027083028655113868" BLOCK_SIZE="4096" TYPE="zfs_member" PARTUUID="7f8f63a3-7e54-4249-9907-65aba8f6e53f"
/dev/mapper/ceph--7deda356--de11--4742--a773--71980f6bd84a-osd--block--0d4a4621--f087--4c1c--97f6--753b88427e5c: TYPE="ceph_bluestore"
/dev/sdk: UUID="8MCpO9-YwlG-8FNB-Wbgu-ueSn-198L-YfB2Ol" TYPE="LVM2_member"
/dev/mapper/ceph--2662cb97--3c87--49fc--9ceb--8eac077054b2-osd--block--caaf0c96--e90e--46b8--9a49--cf84260b94e4: TYPE="ceph_bluestore"
/dev/sds: UUID="gcImln-kprW-u6yy-bvxY-Hsif-A2VH-GoNLE1" TYPE="LVM2_member"
/dev/mapper/ceph--5909443b--69ac--4d66--899c--f6d7345db3e5-osd--block--2f7003ec--e2cb--4ce6--8420--ca67c196bf8f: TYPE="ceph_bluestore"
/dev/sdi: UUID="e6pj7g-PCVU-W3Xp-fXcN-jEbW-wI1S-0v5Acv" TYPE="LVM2_member"
/dev/mapper/ceph--2db90f9e--74de--46a0--aaa9--7ade4746c96f-osd--block--6995b8b2--8d94--47f0--becf--820dac70e766: TYPE="ceph_bluestore"
/dev/sdq: UUID="Sg35N6-3AZM-Tnf4-vAVn-ldwf-Zfqy-P8wEA9" TYPE="LVM2_member"
/dev/sdae: UUID="Wzs4ka-Ji0n-q4rc-zQzy-5bsc-MMKk-apshTO" TYPE="LVM2_member"
/dev/sdz: UUID="8MCpO9-YwlG-8FNB-Wbgu-ueSn-198L-YfB2Ol" TYPE="LVM2_member"
/dev/mapper/ceph--7af30a0d--fba9--48fd--ae7d--6c7ee2d96461-osd--block--8a5813b8--c948--4e14--9861--af917047ab34: TYPE="ceph_bluestore"
/dev/sdg: UUID="aqKoCv-rX6z-o2lq-haV7-qOQh-edXa-R1gpHR" TYPE="LVM2_member"
/dev/mapper/ceph--b9e1fb6c--1e20--4db7--8527--a1ee295d7489-osd--block--aacdc12a--2f0f--4a75--8542--9a613c0f8d26: TYPE="ceph_bluestore"
/dev/sdac: UUID="hJxcYj-four-rpis-Qir8-dvCW-GTd9-eAzsSp" TYPE="LVM2_member"
/dev/sdx: UUID="e6pj7g-PCVU-W3Xp-fXcN-jEbW-wI1S-0v5Acv" TYPE="LVM2_member"
/dev/mapper/ceph--778c730e--e642--4c96--82ce--2fdb2e4f4082-osd--block--34d76c55--f2f6--4225--b03a--11b1a44a8e4a: TYPE="ceph_bluestore"
/dev/sde: UUID="MEDGNJ-u32d-ndMy-ilB1-m9Ax-DWkY-Ye9Gy5" TYPE="LVM2_member"
/dev/sdaa: UUID="Ayah4K-ceTm-HSiM-amN6-sdVJ-WZXp-sMfy2u" TYPE="LVM2_member"
/dev/mapper/ceph--a20745fa--d748--4c33--acc0--01361d6cbda4-osd--block--03728b9e--d559--4fcc--a7b9--1bc7abb03380: TYPE="ceph_bluestore"
/dev/sdn: UUID="hJxcYj-four-rpis-Qir8-dvCW-GTd9-eAzsSp" TYPE="LVM2_member"
/dev/sdv: UUID="aqKoCv-rX6z-o2lq-haV7-qOQh-edXa-R1gpHR" TYPE="LVM2_member"
/dev/sdc: UUID="vg0wUM-EXBK-Uh6K-T3xK-K7P3-q2ld-3SyTb7" TYPE="LVM2_member"
/dev/mapper/ceph--11d04bdd--1f69--4be7--8fc9--e0c28fb72d11-osd--block--a9b3c0d5--c437--4743--aa6f--64205d8b8633: TYPE="ceph_bluestore"
/dev/sdl: UUID="Ayah4K-ceTm-HSiM-amN6-sdVJ-WZXp-sMfy2u" TYPE="LVM2_member"
/dev/sdt: UUID="MEDGNJ-u32d-ndMy-ilB1-m9Ax-DWkY-Ye9Gy5" TYPE="LVM2_member"
/dev/sda2: UUID="1203-0CDA" BLOCK_SIZE="512" TYPE="vfat" PARTUUID="942d4d84-7171-4137-aa90-ca3ff1856a9b"
/dev/sda3: LABEL="rpool" UUID="14862405257286652260" UUID_SUB="3339468819426860827" BLOCK_SIZE="4096" TYPE="zfs_member" PARTUUID="5e5efbb8-fc10-4cbb-9d6e-a014502267c7"
/dev/mapper/ceph--6a73260a--8b83--427c--a953--98de36a78060-osd--block--bdaeb37b--0491--46c5--b05c--a8770a4964c0: TYPE="ceph_bluestore"
/dev/sdj: UUID="Sf56nw-UHtc-fagE-jC0t-3JVl-I3EV-qve17p" TYPE="LVM2_member"
/dev/mapper/ceph--a972216d--80d7--48f1--8d85--a2a9df5b9261-osd--block--4576958b--03f6--49cd--ab0c--405b1f942c7b: TYPE="ceph_bluestore"
/dev/sdr: UUID="vg0wUM-EXBK-Uh6K-T3xK-K7P3-q2ld-3SyTb7" TYPE="LVM2_member"
/dev/sdaf: UUID="Sg35N6-3AZM-Tnf4-vAVn-ldwf-Zfqy-P8wEA9" TYPE="LVM2_member"
/dev/mapper/ceph--095653a2--d894--4713--a98b--77439400987d-osd--block--43df5e31--450f--4914--bb80--078628e85f1f: TYPE="ceph_bluestore"
/dev/sdh: UUID="QGzbN2-CEwl-fXmn-blBM-v193-slac-ZoIuZ4" TYPE="LVM2_member"
/dev/mapper/ceph--d8049b27--52a7--4478--85fe--117cf8cba9d2-osd--block--31c0f65e--ad51--46df--931f--483c6c0324aa: TYPE="ceph_bluestore"
/dev/sdp: UUID="Wzs4ka-Ji0n-q4rc-zQzy-5bsc-MMKk-apshTO" TYPE="LVM2_member"
/dev/sdad: UUID="D76b9G-D7L7-hcnM-sujM-e5EM-ZU0o-1zBBxC" TYPE="LVM2_member"
/dev/sdb1: PTUUID="172b2f43-edef-4c65-a3b8-9aa1f396e289" PTTYPE="gpt" PARTUUID="5b9595d2-6b99-4011-959f-fc42a15e32ff"
/dev/sda1: PARTUUID="3b00b8b0-ecfa-4ff4-8a8c-ec18ef1cef0b"

here is the output of lsblk -o NAME,SIZE,TYPE,FSTYPE,PARTLABEL,UUID

NAME                                                                                SIZE TYPE FSTYPE         PARTLABEL UUID
sda                                                                               119.2G disk                          
|-sda1                                                                             1007K part                          
|-sda2                                                                                1G part vfat                     1203-0CDA
`-sda3                                                                            118.2G part zfs_member               14862405257286652260
sdb                                                                               119.2G disk                          
|-sdb1                                                                             1007K part                          
|-sdb2                                                                                1G part vfat                     C0F0-1E54
`-sdb3                                                                            118.2G part zfs_member               14862405257286652260
sdc                                                                                10.9T disk LVM2_member              vg0wUM-EXBK-Uh6K-T3xK-K7P3-q2ld-3SyTb7
`-ceph--b9e1fb6c--1e20--4db7--8527--a1ee295d7489-osd--block--aacdc12a--2f0f--4a75--8542--9a613c0f8d26
                                                                                   10.9T lvm  ceph_bluestore           
sdd                                                                                10.9T disk LVM2_member              gcImln-kprW-u6yy-bvxY-Hsif-A2VH-GoNLE1
`-ceph--095653a2--d894--4713--a98b--77439400987d-osd--block--43df5e31--450f--4914--bb80--078628e85f1f
                                                                                   10.9T lvm  ceph_bluestore           
sde                                                                                10.9T disk LVM2_member              MEDGNJ-u32d-ndMy-ilB1-m9Ax-DWkY-Ye9Gy5
sdf                                                                                10.9T disk LVM2_member              gTYMNV-gYkg-YtkG-Txt7-DjUT-2eOF-f1mAZ7
sdg                                                                                10.9T disk LVM2_member              aqKoCv-rX6z-o2lq-haV7-qOQh-edXa-R1gpHR
`-ceph--7af30a0d--fba9--48fd--ae7d--6c7ee2d96461-osd--block--8a5813b8--c948--4e14--9861--af917047ab34
                                                                                   10.9T lvm  ceph_bluestore           
sdh                                                                                10.9T disk LVM2_member              QGzbN2-CEwl-fXmn-blBM-v193-slac-ZoIuZ4
`-ceph--11d04bdd--1f69--4be7--8fc9--e0c28fb72d11-osd--block--a9b3c0d5--c437--4743--aa6f--64205d8b8633
                                                                                   10.9T lvm  ceph_bluestore           
sdi                                                                                10.9T disk LVM2_member              e6pj7g-PCVU-W3Xp-fXcN-jEbW-wI1S-0v5Acv
`-ceph--d8049b27--52a7--4478--85fe--117cf8cba9d2-osd--block--31c0f65e--ad51--46df--931f--483c6c0324aa
                                                                                   10.9T lvm  ceph_bluestore           
sdj                                                                                10.9T disk LVM2_member              Sf56nw-UHtc-fagE-jC0t-3JVl-I3EV-qve17p
`-ceph--3fc05ed9--59d8--49e3--bc8d--298c9a0e9b23-osd--block--b1432435--d44c--4c2b--b796--54faa4d257e7
                                                                                   10.9T lvm  ceph_bluestore           
sdk                                                                                10.9T disk LVM2_member              8MCpO9-YwlG-8FNB-Wbgu-ueSn-198L-YfB2Ol
`-ceph--7deda356--de11--4742--a773--71980f6bd84a-osd--block--0d4a4621--f087--4c1c--97f6--753b88427e5c
                                                                                   10.9T lvm  ceph_bluestore           
sdl                                                                                10.9T disk LVM2_member              Ayah4K-ceTm-HSiM-amN6-sdVJ-WZXp-sMfy2u
`-ceph--2db90f9e--74de--46a0--aaa9--7ade4746c96f-osd--block--6995b8b2--8d94--47f0--becf--820dac70e766
                                                                                   10.9T lvm  ceph_bluestore           
sdm                                                                                10.9T disk LVM2_member              NdSaeg-xof6-of1x-wffq-33ky-CW8v-ed5Kjp
`-ceph--a972216d--80d7--48f1--8d85--a2a9df5b9261-osd--block--4576958b--03f6--49cd--ab0c--405b1f942c7b
                                                                                   10.9T lvm  ceph_bluestore           
sdn                                                                                10.9T disk LVM2_member              hJxcYj-four-rpis-Qir8-dvCW-GTd9-eAzsSp
sdo                                                                                10.9T disk LVM2_member              D76b9G-D7L7-hcnM-sujM-e5EM-ZU0o-1zBBxC
`-ceph--d402377f--ad20--4b78--a64f--3dab06e56717-osd--block--96dbfa75--1f2d--459b--9bfe--e23332b3ce2a
                                                                                   10.9T lvm  ceph_bluestore           
sdp                                                                                10.9T disk LVM2_member              Wzs4ka-Ji0n-q4rc-zQzy-5bsc-MMKk-apshTO
`-ceph--a20745fa--d748--4c33--acc0--01361d6cbda4-osd--block--03728b9e--d559--4fcc--a7b9--1bc7abb03380
                                                                                   10.9T lvm  ceph_bluestore           
sdq                                                                                10.9T disk LVM2_member              Sg35N6-3AZM-Tnf4-vAVn-ldwf-Zfqy-P8wEA9
`-ceph--6a73260a--8b83--427c--a953--98de36a78060-osd--block--bdaeb37b--0491--46c5--b05c--a8770a4964c0
                                                                                   10.9T lvm  ceph_bluestore           
sdr                                                                                10.9T disk LVM2_member              vg0wUM-EXBK-Uh6K-T3xK-K7P3-q2ld-3SyTb7
sds                                                                                10.9T disk LVM2_member              gcImln-kprW-u6yy-bvxY-Hsif-A2VH-GoNLE1
sdt                                                                                10.9T disk LVM2_member              MEDGNJ-u32d-ndMy-ilB1-m9Ax-DWkY-Ye9Gy5
`-ceph--74f4d41b--17bd--40fc--85db--cc911a9c62e3-osd--block--d67facbc--a33a--47ad--9149--95b29552bf50
                                                                                   10.9T lvm  ceph_bluestore           
sdu                                                                                10.9T disk LVM2_member              gTYMNV-gYkg-YtkG-Txt7-DjUT-2eOF-f1mAZ7
`-ceph--5909443b--69ac--4d66--899c--f6d7345db3e5-osd--block--2f7003ec--e2cb--4ce6--8420--ca67c196bf8f
                                                                                   10.9T lvm  ceph_bluestore           
sdv                                                                                10.9T disk LVM2_member              aqKoCv-rX6z-o2lq-haV7-qOQh-edXa-R1gpHR
sdw                                                                                10.9T disk LVM2_member              QGzbN2-CEwl-fXmn-blBM-v193-slac-ZoIuZ4
sdx                                                                                10.9T disk LVM2_member              e6pj7g-PCVU-W3Xp-fXcN-jEbW-wI1S-0v5Acv
sdy                                                                                10.9T disk LVM2_member              Sf56nw-UHtc-fagE-jC0t-3JVl-I3EV-qve17p
sdz                                                                                10.9T disk LVM2_member              8MCpO9-YwlG-8FNB-Wbgu-ueSn-198L-YfB2Ol
sdaa                                                                               10.9T disk LVM2_member              Ayah4K-ceTm-HSiM-amN6-sdVJ-WZXp-sMfy2u
sdab                                                                               10.9T disk LVM2_member              NdSaeg-xof6-of1x-wffq-33ky-CW8v-ed5Kjp
sdac                                                                               10.9T disk LVM2_member              hJxcYj-four-rpis-Qir8-dvCW-GTd9-eAzsSp
`-ceph--2662cb97--3c87--49fc--9ceb--8eac077054b2-osd--block--caaf0c96--e90e--46b8--9a49--cf84260b94e4
                                                                                   10.9T lvm  ceph_bluestore           
sdad                                                                               10.9T disk LVM2_member              D76b9G-D7L7-hcnM-sujM-e5EM-ZU0o-1zBBxC
sdae                                                                               10.9T disk LVM2_member              Wzs4ka-Ji0n-q4rc-zQzy-5bsc-MMKk-apshTO
sdaf                                                                               10.9T disk LVM2_member              Sg35N6-3AZM-Tnf4-vAVn-ldwf-Zfqy-P8wEA9
nvme0n1                                                                           894.3G disk LVM2_member              ff9ut5-wZHj-Ubkw-e5I8-1Gd9-RPD5-GxIk71
`-ceph--778c730e--e642--4c96--82ce--2fdb2e4f4082-osd--block--34d76c55--f2f6--4225--b03a--11b1a44a8e4a
                                                                                  894.3G lvm  ceph_bluestore

dmsetup table "<device-id>" output

device-mapper: table ioctl on ceph-b9e1fb6c-1e20-4db7-8527-a1ee295d7489  failed: No such device or address
Command failed.

ceph-volume lvm list || true only shows the 1 NVME SSD

====== osd.46 ======

  [block]       /dev/ceph-778c730e-e642-4c96-82ce-2fdb2e4f4082/osd-block-34d76c55-f2f6-4225-b03a-11b1a44a8e4a

      block device              /dev/ceph-778c730e-e642-4c96-82ce-2fdb2e4f4082/osd-block-34d76c55-f2f6-4225-b03a-11b1a44a8e4a
      block uuid                KcdEnZ-Wwhs-aS7X-Csob-pBNh-bQP6-6juMo1
      cephx lockbox secret      
      cluster fsid              50824a88-c4d8-40e9-aa4f-5e10c2b7c5d2
      cluster name              ceph
      crush device class        nvme
      encrypted                 0
      osd fsid                  34d76c55-f2f6-4225-b03a-11b1a44a8e4a
      osd id                    46
      osdspec affinity          
      type                      block
      vdo                       0
      with tpm                  0
      devices                   /dev/nvme0n1

I think what I need to is restore LVM from backup using

pvcreate --force --uuid "<UUID>" --restorefile /etc/lvm/backup/<ceph-id> /dev/sdc

However I get this error as an output:

  WARNING: Couldn't find device with uuid vg0wUM-EXBK-Uh6K-T3xK-K7P3-q2ld-3SyTb7.
  Can't initialize physical volume "/dev/sdc" of volume group "ceph-b9e1fb6c-1e20-4db7-8527-a1ee295d7489" without -ff
  /dev/sdc: physical volume not initialized.

Basically the SAS3 drives associated with CEPH are refusing to initialize for some reason, and I’m not sure why or how to get them to initialize. Any help would be massively appreciated. There is definitely some other things I’ve tried that I’ve left out, but everything I’ve tried so far is a jumbled mess so I apologize for that in advance, it’s just been very stressful trying to resolve this issue since I don’t have access to anything on there, my stress outlets like my media server are just down until I get it back up and running.

There is a lot of discussion on how Proxmox handles Ceph, verses using Ceph native tools. On my Ceph cluster, I use the native Cephadm tools for management, so I don’t know if this command will help you, but it might give you a rabbit hole to look down.

When I move a storage node to new hardware, I use the below command (after I add the host to the Ceph cluster and confirm the base OS sees all drives with lsblk) to force Ceph to checkout the new host, and add back the OSD to the cluster.

ceph cephadm osd activate (host)

Before cephadm command came around, I used the below commands to do the same thing.

  • pvscan --cache
  • vgscan
  • vgchange -ay
  • ceph-volume lvm activate --all

Hello! And thank you for the reply! I just got home. I actually did try those already (like I said at the bottom of the poet everything, including what I’ve already tried is a jumbled mess at this point) let me get you the output from them and I’ll post them here.

  • output of pvscan --cache:
  pvscan[890847] PV /dev/nvme0n1 online.
  • Output of vgscan:
  Found volume group "ceph-778c730e-e642-4c96-82ce-2fdb2e4f4082" using metadata type lvm2
  • Output of vgchange -ay:
  1 logical volume(s) in volume group "ceph-778c730e-e642-4c96-82ce-2fdb2e4f4082" now active
  • Output of ceph-volume lvm activate --all
Running command: /usr/bin/ceph-authtool --gen-print-key
Running command: /usr/bin/ceph-authtool --gen-print-key
--> Activating OSD ID 46 FSID 34d76c55-f2f6-4225-b03a-11b1a44a8e4a
Running command: /usr/bin/chown -R ceph:ceph /var/lib/ceph/osd/ceph-46
Running command: /usr/bin/ceph-bluestore-tool --cluster=ceph prime-osd-dir --dev /dev/ceph-778c730e-e642-4c96-82ce-2fdb2e4f4082/osd-block-34d76c55-f2f6-4225-b03a-11b1a44a8e4a --path /var/lib/ceph/osd/ceph-46 --no-mon-config
Running command: /usr/bin/ln -snf /dev/ceph-778c730e-e642-4c96-82ce-2fdb2e4f4082/osd-block-34d76c55-f2f6-4225-b03a-11b1a44a8e4a /var/lib/ceph/osd/ceph-46/block
Running command: /usr/bin/chown -h ceph:ceph /var/lib/ceph/osd/ceph-46/block
Running command: /usr/bin/chown -R ceph:ceph /dev/dm-0
Running command: /usr/bin/chown -R ceph:ceph /var/lib/ceph/osd/ceph-46
Running command: /usr/bin/systemctl enable ceph-volume@lvm-46-34d76c55-f2f6-4225-b03a-11b1a44a8e4a
Running command: /usr/bin/systemctl enable --runtime ceph-osd@46
Running command: /usr/bin/systemctl start ceph-osd@46
--> ceph-volume lvm activate successful for osd ID: 46

For whatever reason as mentioned above, it looks like the disks aren’t being initialized/picked up by LVM or CEPH.

Just an update since I’m, asking in other places as well, looks like it might be a mapping issue.

May 26 12:30:15 pve5 lvm[10945]: PV /dev/sdd 8:48 is duplicate for PVID gTYMNVgYkgYtkGTxt7DjUT2eOFf1mAZ7 on 8:32 /dev/sdc.


May 26 12:30:15 pve5 lvm[10945]: PV /dev/sdd failed to create online file.

Just wanted to give the post a bump, as I am still trying to work through this issue.

I figured it out, unfortunately it was the thing I wanted to avoid doing, rewiring it to not use the stock wiring it comes with (already full of drives and not a lot of clearance to plug them in).
subconsciously I didn’t want it to be the case. When you wire it with the default configuration I think it uses the expanded, and when you wire each 4 to its own HBA instead it doesn’t.