[SOLVED] Motherboard CMOS resetting everytime on cold boot?

I hadn’t had this problem until I switched coolers, but now whenever I cold boot my computer the cmos seems to clear itself. Restarting the computer doesn’t do this.

New battery time? I’ve got a motherboard with the same problem. Usually having a VGA cable plugged in from a monitor that has power is enough to keep the CMOS powered up. But that hasn’t been the case for me. What’s your motherboard make and model? Maybe we’ve got the same board.

1 Like

MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon

I am guessing it is the cmos battery. I have only had this board for like 4 months. I guess the battery was low to begin with.

Drat. Mine’s an ASUS of some sort.

But yeah, the CMOS battery is definitely the low hanging troubleshooting fruit here.

1 Like

What makes you think the CMOS is “resetting”?

It goes to the screen where it says press f1 to enter bios instead of delete. Like the memory or cpu has been changed. Also my stable overclock goes to stock clock. I had been running this overclock for the entire time I have had this system built.

Does it try to post first? So does it try to post 3 times or so before resetting?

No. It doesn’t have failed posts. It just straight from bootup one attempt and it says I need to enter the bios because the cpu or ram has been changed. I double checked the cpu and ram to make sure they are seated properly. They are seated correctly.

Reason I asked is I had similar issue on cold boot, but mine would attempt cycle. Needed more ram voltage. Also Asus not MSI.

If you changed coolers and this randomly started happening, then perhaps it is force applied to chip deferential. Although that would be more probable on TR4.

Mine did the same and for me at leaste adding just a lil juice to the Ram helped

This did happen to me on older bios revisions. When I first tried overclocking the ram it would cycle and then reset.

It still says cpu or ram have been replaced. I added the a new battery.

Is it possible the CPU cooler is torqued on tighter than needed?

MSI has an option in UEFI for amount of cycles it will try before resetting. Has this been set or changed? I think default should be 3.

I put a different battery in to replace the replacement one and it isn’t resetting now. Also the clock was noticeably behind on my system before I replaced the battery. Like 30minutes behind. Now everything is working.

1 Like

Awesome. Please change your title of this thread to say fixed in brackets. In front of title.

[FIXED]

My bad, guess they use [solved] here… sorry… haha