[Solved] How to automatically back up Home Assistant OS onto a NAS

I have a Home Assistant OS running locally on a Raspberry Pi, though as I’m reaching the end of the end of home automations that I currently want I realized that I should figure out how to automatically create a back up as I don’t expect to be constantly looking at the home assistant. I have a QNAP TS-230 and so would rather have the backups be stored locally, while most of the videos I could find were about having the backup go onto Google Drive, which I’d prefer to avoid. Any advice on how to set this up or automate it would be greatly appreciated. I know one video mentioned Samba being a way to do it, but then stating that would require a few extra steps, and so they’d rather not talk about it.

Currently the QNAP stores some files from when I was in university and from USBs, corrupted files and nothing else so it should be able to take whatever computational load may be required.

I ended up figuring out how to do it from this youtube video. The file sharing was slightly different because it’s a QNAP rather then a Synology NAS but I was still able to follow along.

1 Like