[SOLVED] How do I fix Wi-Fi in Linux? ("ASUS Prime X670-P WIFI" Motherboard)

I’ve never seen real world wireless AC speeds overtake gigabit ethernet. Post some screenshots if it does!

1 Like

I might have been stupid before. Could you post the output of dmesg | grep -iE "realtek|rtk|rtw|firmware" again? (Note the added -i option to grep to search case-insensitive).

While you’re at it, can you post the output of lsmod?

And maybe try modprobe rtw_8852be to load the kernel module(this should happen automatically, but apparently doesn’t!), then try dmesg again(last few lines).
(rtw_8852be is a guess, try looking for the .ko modules in /usr/lib/modules/<kernel version>/ if that doesn’t work).

Maybe the modprobe is all that’s needed. If that’s the case, just add the module name to /etc/modules and reboot.

1 Like

Yeah, I tested the Wi-Fi with my phone, however, it might be that the hardware is at it’s limit though. 294.32 Mbit/s, they might actually be cheaping out on this model and use a 300 Mbit/s Wi-Fi chip. I’m going to look that up.

… Nope.
WLAN | Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, dual-band, Wi-Fi Direct

The specs on paper makes it seem like it’s going to handle itself well, but it’s a really slow phone in real life.

*Copy, Paste.

Wait… What? How do I do that?

Wireless connection is now up and running. Thanks for the help, @max1220 & the others! :grin:

Wired connection.

I still think that with a new and newer router, the wireless is going to be a lot faster then it is now.

1 Like

Try this:

echo "rtw_8852be" | sudo tee -a /etc/modules

It’s just a text file, you could open it in a text editor of your liking if it can be run as root.

I’m not surprised at all. Actually those are good numbers for a phone. Again, advertised Wifi speeds are theoretical - You won’t ever seen those speeds in real life.

A little bit faster? Yes, probably, assuming it’s an at least somewhat competent router.
Will Wifi be faster than wired? I’d still guess no unless you go for a brand-new and expensive Wifi 6E router and a new Wifi card for your computer(I don’t think your mainboard supports 6GHz Wifi 6E!).
And note the ping times too…
The gold standard for PC network remains wired.

Keep in mind that the wireless speeds are shared as well. And that due to the Wifi signaling, having a stream of say a few 100 Kb/s on a phone in a Wifi can reduce the effective available bandwidth by 100’s of Mb/s due to taking up time slots with slower-modulated data. And that more clients in your Wifi means more opportunities for random latency increases. Even just a little bit of “side-traffic” will make your latency and bandwidth over Wifi way worse(Try running multiple speed test in parallel with multiple wireless devices!).

Glad I could help!

1 Like

I get what you mean. I have two phones and now also a computer connected to the router via wifi, and two hardwired computers. I usually have my raspberry pi 4 on the wifi too, but right now it doesn’t have a NVMe, so I can’t use it. Nice to learn some new stuff though. Routers should have better hardware, so that it can have multiple users and still give out good and fast connections to all.

1 Like

So I installed the driver for the Wi-Fi, but it ends up well… making my pc into 1 frame per hour. So I had to uninstall the driver, AFTER I first reinstalled the computer, because I didn’t know what it was that caused the problem before. The only thing that is really sad about this is that I cannot get my Bot VM running, it instead stops at “booting from harddrive…”

I will have to live with the wi-fi on the computer not working for a little while, and when it’s a stable fit… Then I can use the driver.

EDIT! I uninstalled the one without BT in it, and rebooted, then the wi-fi and bluetooth started working. It is solved.

I warned you :stuck_out_tongue:

No clue why that would lead to crazy low performance or libvirtd issues though.
I’d ask you to show some system log, but seeing that you already re-installed and don’t have the problem anymore…

It was not a fun problem. The computer acted as if it had no memory basically, and like the cpu only had one core for 50 000 processes. It was super slow.

I have a couple more funny problems though.

1. OBS; I used a IP Webcam, shared the source to OBS, and after a little while, the screens went black and I got logged out, happened two times before I said to myself. I’m not going to use that source.

2. I can’t get my virtual cables to autostart, and some hours earlier tonight, I had a sound error, where the sound was Errol Deruxe…

3. One of my m.2 disks stopped working, the computer couldn’t find it, so I had to shut down the computer and switch the place with two of the m.2 sticks, before the BIOS would even register it’s existence. Really screwy.