[SOLVED] How do I fix Wi-Fi in Linux? ("ASUS Prime X670-P WIFI" Motherboard)

Some system Info first;

I didn’t reinstall this… It just works basically, and it’s registering everything out of the box… "/ Don’t know if that’s a good thing, but well, if it works it works.

Motherboard;

Is it too early for me to get the wi-fi to work? Do I need to go Windows in order to get it to work? Maybe through a VM?

[SOLUTION]

Install rtw89bt-dkms-git (Wi-FI WITH Bluetooth Driver). REBOOT!

DO NOT INSTALL rtw89-dkms-git. IT MAKES YOU HAVE 1 FRAME PER HOUR, CAN’T EVEN SHUT DOWN THE COMPUTER NORMALLY.

Thanks to those that helped! ^^

Have you already updated the system?

If you not having internet because of the wifi situation is preventing you from updating you can use your phone as a wifi adapter long enough to update

You just need to USB tether your phone’s wifi connection

2 Likes

Your ethernet is realtek and the wifi isnt branded as Intel which usually means it is also realtek. You need to figure out the exact model of wifi module it has and download it just in case it wont work (but it usually works out of the box).

One thing you could also do is to try any distro’s live usb with the mobo. If it works in the live environment, it will almost surely work as well on install.

1 Like

I have a network cable attached to it. I would however like to use the wireless, because it’s a lot faster then my current router is capable of ‘communicating’.

Are there any drivers for the Wi-Fi 6 solution?

I really like Arco Linux, and since it’s based on Arch; I’m probably not far off from a solution to the problem at all.

It’s been a while since I even had to think about wireless networks or connections…

The windows drivers states Realtek… I’m going to get a new router this week, so I really hope that I can get the internet working otherwise It’s going to be a sad moment.

sorry, probably can’t help you, my linux knowledge is rather basic and limited to debian

my understanding is that built in drivers are apart of the kernel, so maybe try running a newer kernel to get a more comprehensive driver package

2 Likes

To confirm that your laptop’s WiFi network adapter is detected and loaded with its driver, you can follow these steps:

Open a terminal or command prompt window on your laptop.

Type the following command and press Enter:

sudo lshw -C network

This command will display a list of all the network interfaces on your laptop, including your WiFi adapter.

Look for the entry that corresponds to your WiFi adapter. It should have a product name that includes the words “Wireless” or “WiFi.” The line under it should display “driver=” followed by the name of the driver being used.
If you see the driver name displayed, it means that the adapter is detected and loaded with its driver. If you don’t see a driver name displayed, it means that the adapter is either not detected or not loaded with its driver.

You can also use the following command to check if the network interface for your WiFi adapter is up and running:

ip link show <interface_name>

Replace <interface_name> with the name of your WiFi adapter interface. This should be the name displayed in the output of the previous command. If the adapter is up and running, you should see a line that says “state UP.” If the adapter is not up and running, you should see a line that says “state DOWN.”

3 Likes

BE WARNED. i failed to get one of those cards/chips to work on a laptop. it seems the problem stems from the tomfoolery they did to make it a wifi+bluetooth device, one on pcie the other on the usb buss. the recommended github with the right drivers to compile and add doesn’t compile anymore

The package rtw89bt-dkms from the AUR should provide support for that chipset assuming that the driver itself has been updated to support the 6.1 kernel.

2 Likes

Live CD is a good idea for testing without affecting your installed OS. Not familiar with Arco/Arch, but any Linux disto Live CD should work and give you insights into what the hardware actually is and necessary drivers. If Wifi does not work on Live CD, then it’s an uphill battle, but at least you’ll know definitively.

Latest versions of Linux Mint and Zorin Live CD both worked for my mobo Wifi.

Wireless has its place, but it you are looking for best performance in a network then nothing beats a 1GB hard wired connection.

Wifi has much higher lag over a cable so it would be best to run over Ethernet. If you’re getting a new router, invest in some CAT7 cables. They can be found for a decent price and are excellent at filtering out interference. They made a huge difference in my home network.

One issue I see all the time (at work) is people running Wifi and Ethernet at the same time. All sorts of problems come from that. Choose one and turn the other off (or unplug the cable).

Good luck.

1 Like

To answer a few of your questions:
The driver should be either part of your Linux kernel package or a separate package to be built and linked to a kernel via DKMS.
Either way, you might need the correct firmware for your device, which often can’t be shipped with the free drivers directly due to licensing stuff.
I don’t know arch, but they do have a realtek-firmware package, along with a lot of DKMS packages.

You should also have a look at the kernel log for any error messages etc.
You can do that simply via dmesg | grep -E "realtek|rtk".

Are you sure about that? Usually even just gigabit ethernet is way faster than wireless in any real scenario(WiFi advertised top speeds are very unrealistic), and more reliable too,
“Wired” really is the “gold standard” for computer networks.

1 Like

A search for that Realtek module brings up a Github page. Looks like it is in the AUR. It mentions to blacklist the kernel drivers for kernel 5.16 and up when using this driver. It says it is for “Realtek 8852AE, 8852BE, and 8853CE” further down the page.

doesn’t compile/work on linuxmint 21(fully updated). or atleast it didn’t work the several times i tried a few weeks ago.

Not quite, it mentions that the driver is already included in kernels 5.16 onwards, and so on kernels >=5.16 you first need to disable the built-in driver to use the version from GitHub(loading parts of drivers of different versions is a bad idea).

So the drivers are probably “just working” without any special driver on 5.16, as long as you have the correct firmware installed. This is probably the easiest and least error-prone method.

If you want to get a more “bleeding-edge” driver, you can disable the kernel-builtin driver, and switch to the more recent(?) lwfinger/rtw89 “development” driver.
Either by cloning the repo, and building manually, or by installing the rtw89-dkms-git package.
You should do the later, as that probably automatically updates with newer kernels.
I don’t know of the package automatically black-lists the “old”(built-in) module as part of the DKMS process, or if it installs the firmware from the GitHub(I don’t actually use Arch myself).

(It’s not a laptop. It’s a stationary computer.)

Thing is that I didn’t reinstall the computer, so I actually don’t know if it’s going to work if I make a new install.

ATM, It’s a AC Router. Which means It can reach speeds up to 1300Mbit/s. I have a 1200Mbit/s Down & 100Mbit/s Up internet. I can’t reach full speed over cable. I will however get a new router this week, and it’s going to have the AX standard, which is up to 10Gbit/s, and hopefully it’s going to have 2.5Gbit ports. It’s a coaxial modem, so I can’t switch it with whatever I want it to be. That sucks…

The Router is also about 4 m from the computer, and the Wi-Fi is open space. Which means, that It should be faster to go wireless, and I’m probably going to be the only one in this apartment building that updated his/her internet to the highest possible, which means I’m probably going to be the only one using Wi-Fi 6 in this area. It’s going to be faster then an attached wire… If I can get it to work. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

This is usually a non-issue in Linux.
There is no registry or alike, and if you didn’t build a custom kernel with only the drivers you needed you most likely have a generic kernel with most(all?) possible drivers compiled as modules that are automatically loaded when the hardware is detected.

The output of lshw -C network seems to suggest that you currently have no driver loaded for your Wifi card. Are you sure you’ve got rtw89-dkms-git(wifi driver) installed, and not just rtw89bt-dkms-git(bluetooth driver)? Does bluetooth work?

The kernel log output seems to not have anything related to your Wifi drivers.
Try this to also search for rtw and firmware: dmesg | grep -E "realtek|rtk|rtw|firmware"
Or simply look for errors manually(dmesg).

Regarding the Wifi thing:
Even right next to the router you’re probably better of with a wired connection.
Wifi spectrum is a shared medium and limited resource.
If some of your neighbours have Wifi networks on the same/close bands as well, your connection speed and latency is going to suffer. Wifi 6 is still using the 2.4/5GHz frequencies. If you have activity on those bands your AP/device might need to wait for “the air to become ready”. If you have temporary RF interference you might drop packets resulting in latency spikes. Due to energy saving features you might also sometimes get a little latency increase when transitioning from a low-power state to a high-power state or vice versa.
Latency will be lower and more consistent for wired connections.
Bandwidth of Wifi can theoretically be more than Gigabit ethernet, but it’s INCREADIBLY rare that you actually get that. Maybe if you build a faraday cage around your router and mobo…
Wifi access points/(even very expensive enterprise ones) often don’t even have the uplink capacity to fully utilize the advertised Wifi speeds.
I’m certain that you will get both better latency and more bandwidth even with GBe than with 802.11AC.
With GBe you’ll still get better latency than a Wifi 6 connection, and most likely more bandwidth.
With Wifi 6E(The E is important: means you can use the so far mostly unused 6GHz spectrum) your bandwidth over Wifi might be greater, but latency and consistency is probably similar or worse.
Rule of thumb is to avoid Wifi like the pest if you can use a wired connection.

1 Like

Yes. ^^ I don’t need to use the Asus BT500 anymore. ^^

dmesg; Couldn’t find anything that pointed me into the direction of a Wi-Fi device anywhere.