[solved] Host audio stops at VM start (Jack Pipewire)

Solution:
uninstalling all pulsaudio remains and install some missing pipe wire packages according to the arch wiki: PipeWire - ArchWiki

Hi lovely community <3

i recently got my Win10 VFIO VM running :smiley:
Also JackAudio seems to work know and connects to all outputs and inputs i need as soon as the VM starts.
Sadly the host audio(input/output) is completely silent :frowning:

Can someone help me to get the hostaudio working when the VM is running? (:

with kind regards

Congrats!

Have you seen https://looking-glass.io? It lets you view and control your VM from the host, copying the video through shared memory for almost zero latency. The latest beta just added sound support.

Otherwise could you clarify - are your speakers connected to the host, or to the guest? And are you getting guest audio successfully through it?

1 Like

thank you (:
yes i have seen looking glass but for my setup it sadly not seems to be a good solution :confused:
(so i try to pursue multiple ways to solve my setup) .

Anything is connected to the host (except for the monitors they are connected to the guest vm).
i set up jack/pipewire accordingly to the lookingglassio wiki. And anything works like i want it.

only thing is that as soon as i start the vm the host audio is lost :frowning:

I’m not very familiar with jack. All I can suggest looking at your patch bay, and ensuring both host and guest are patched while the VM is running. You can also look at your system log (journactl -S today), and see if there are any pipewire/jack events that may be point you in the right direction.

thank you
my patchbay looks like this:

i cant see anything standing out in journactl -S today but i am a rookie regarding linux ^ ^

Hmm, I’d assume there should be a system volume output in there somewhere, unless that’s being handled by pipewire. You might need to wait for someone more familiar with those subsystems.

thanks anyway <3
maybe @gnif can help :smiley:
(sorry if linking is considered rude here)

How so?

Not unless you’re using Looking Glass

is jack depended on lookingglass? that is good to know i will try to use jack with lookingglass running and see if it solves my problems :smiley:

Regarding my Setup: technically it is a simple multi monitor setup. but most of the displays are in different rooms with different inputs and different audio systems.

On windows i would just alt-tab / win-arrow the apps i need to the room i was in. On linux i found a way to do the same.
But on LG i face the issue that LGs resolution is bound to its monitor / dummy and i have 16:9 4k@60 displays as well as 21:9 1440p 144hz and 16:9 240hz displays. the change in resolution is a problem at the moment.

i want to tinker with this: https://www.reddit.com/r/VFIO/comments/wj6zhz/gpu_passthrough_looking_glass_no_external/ to find a workaround. But best solution would be if looking glass could change the windows resolution on demand. since handling multi monitor inside looking glass as well wont get past my waf :confused:

i dont want to split this topic tho ^ ^

my primary problem at the moment is to fix audio. after that i can focus on solutions how to get the rest working as good as possible :smiley:

ok i fixed this problem and noticed that as a noob i would appreciate some adds to the lookingglass wiki :slight_smile:

my problem was that the lookingglasswiki recommends using jackaudio as solution.
jackaudio uses pipewire instead of pulsaudio.

pulsaudio was still installed and not automaticly removed.

according to the arch wiki i had to install a few additional pipewire packages and remove some pulsaudio packages.

now everything works as expected <3 (so another user is the problem scenario)

@gnif maybe add a link to the arch wiki with the note that when installing jack one need to switch topipe wire with all the necessary steps

Jackaudio does not use PipeWire… PipeWire is a Jack compatible server to Jack and PulseAudio clients.

You’re confusing Jack and PipeWire, they are different things. This information would be wrong.

Also please see:
https://looking-glass.io/docs/B6-rc1/install/#keyboard-mouse-display-audio