[SOLVED] Help with animated sprite sheet transparency

Hi,

I am working on an Asteroids type game as part of the #devember challenge and because I am not very good when it comes to drawing anything fancier than circles and squares I have been using CC and royalty free assets I can find on the web.

I found some sprite sheets for some animated explosions I really like but one of them has some problems (difficult to explain but I will add some pictures below) where alpha parts don’t blend nicely with the background so some of the frames have hard square edges

The first frame is the worst so I was thinking about just removing it from the sprite sheet but it looks like some of later frames have similar issues.

I opened the sprite sheet in GNU GIMP and added a black background layer so I could see the alpha blending and spot the problem frames:

I was thinking about using the ellipse selection tool then inverting the selection before filling the outsides of the ellipse with transparency but figured this would just change the problem from squares with hard edges to circles with hard edges. Is it even possible to fill just the corners this way?

Can anyone please suggest a better way for me to fix the problem? Can I use the eraser tool to remove some of the semi-transparent “stuff” (to make the bad ones similar to the 4th frame onward in the above example)

Each frame is only shown for a very short time so it doesn’t have to be perfect, just some way to break up the hard edges.

Any advice would be really appreciated.

thanks,

Shecks

Fixed, I just went through each of the frames and spammed the eraser tool on any straight lines I could see. Looks ok when the animation is running at full speed, there’s probably a nicer way to blend the edges but it will do for now.