[solved] Gnome Tweak tool driving me nuts!

if you just typed it it in without being in the directory that's exactly what's going to show up.

shit. I forgot what directory it was that controls the menus. but I know it's in that extensions folder.

heeeey I am the smartest! :D /s

Worse comes to worse check all those folders in extensions directory and see if the metadata.json file in each of those folders shows the proper gnome version you're on. that's my best advice i can give you.

omfg ... I found like 16 of those files all saying 3.10 except that one I changed.
and I don't have permission to change the rest.

Is administrator not the highest priority you can have?

It's intensional. to protect you from breaking something that's the whole point of sudoING into stuff, so you can perform administrative tasks without really being an administrator. however if you wish to do that you can do things as Root. just type in Sudo -i into the BASH.

Honestly despite Ubuntu being stable as a rock I wouldn't use 14.04 and maybe try installing 16.04. it's more updated and just as stable.

Yea that sounds like the thing to do.

Question. If I where to install it now. would the installer be able to detect that ubuntu is installed and use the same settings? Same partitions same drives?

Because when I installed ubuntu I may have fucked something SERYUSLY up!

My SSD that was my boot drive and windows drive is no longer my boot drive. My harddrive is.

I am just really scared of complacently BORKING my system.

well using a recovery drive and doing the bootrec comands might probably still work.

If you are installing Linux, my recommendation to you is unplugging the Windows HDD from the system just so you know that Windows is safe.

As for the same settings? idk what you mean like the same settings you have setup in GNOME control center? those you might have to reconfigure manually to suit your needs. but for the most part that shouldn't take long.

No I mean the installation settings. Like will it keep the same partitions and install everything on the same drives.

I don't really care about the gnome settings. Like I said I have not been able to install anything or really do anything because of this problem.

and about the windows drive. It is an SSD and I did not think to unplug it whilst I was installing ubuntu. The drive is fine... like windows works fine... but I can't boot from it anymore. Witch I might have to fix in recovery mode!
/: MAN! I am bad at this stuff!

Thanks for the Suggestions and help guys! :D

I am pretty much the worst when it comes to Linux so :D So I need all the help I can get.

appreciated!

I AM A WIZARD!!!

I rand sudo apt-get upgrade after finageling a bit with some updating issues and it ran a for a bit, then the screen turned off.
Restarted and was greeted with a gpdk error of some sorts. Then a resolvconf file was corrupted. So I cp that to orig and suddenly apt-get update worked and I could Log in.

aaand it somehow upgraded me to 15.10 instead of 14.10 like I was trying to do... witch is fine by me :D

also loging into a gnome sessions worked and tweak tool is working :D

Thank you for being kind and trying to help.

you da best!

2 Likes

Necro