[SOLVED] Considering TrueNAS snapshot backup to friends TrueNAS as alternative to BackBlaze

Hi All,

I hope I’m posting in the right place, do move if not. Sorry to ask all this, online info is a bit sketchy and I have looked!

My experience and situation:

I’ll have a primary server and snapshot server on-site (mixed use of work and play), both are built and only need a few extra drives. I’ve been using FreeNAS/TrueNAS for over a year now, it’s superb. I’ve played with snapshot backups locally, but have no experience of VPN’s.

The question:

I’d like to do what many have done, a friend (living 1 mile away) is happy for me to supply them with a TrueNAS machine that I build, so I can have an off-site backup alternative to BackBlaze. I can do the initial backup locally, which is really handy. I’ve got no problem with Backblaze and have used the normal PC backup for years with no complaints. I would like to use the B2 plan but it would cost me around $600-700 a year, and that cost would gradually increase with my data storage…eek!

I have no experience of VPN, but have some with PFSense and thought of that initially, but then I’d have to set them up with new Wifi AP’s along with the netgate PFSense box…it all starts getting expensive and time consuming. :frowning: I do plan on using PFSense at home eventually, along with Unifi AP’s.

I just wonder how practical this is. I could be incredibly lazy from a tech perspective and just go round there once a month, pick up the backup server and take it back to mine for backing up via LAN. I can be even more lazy and just store my snapshot server at their place, and do the same monthly local backup…saving me the cost of the 3rd build and all the hassle that I’m assuming comes with VPN stuff.

The final pool hasn’t been created yet, so if needs be, could be encrypted…though I figure that’s just adding to the things that could go wrong. Of course if it’s a requirement of a VPN that I might need, so be it!

Look forward to any comments, thanks in advance! :clap:

No need for a vpn. You can send/recieve over ssh just fine. ( I Recoomend you set it up for key-based login). All that is required on the friends network is a port forwarding rule and that they have public IP. (dyndns is helpful, and netgear routers come with a free service, but having the server on and active should prevent the public IP from changing too often)

2 Likes

Superb, thank you @WorBlux , really kind of you to help me with a basic thing. I’ve had a look on my router, which is the same as theirs (I’m bringing home my business router soon, with more functions), and it looks easy enough. The main thing is you’ve given me a starting point, really appreciated it, you’ve likely saved me a lot of time and money :+1: :clap:

3 Likes

You could also setup the remote NAS to automatically ssh from your friends house to your home. That way you only have to configure and manage the port forwarding at your home (may be preferred by your friend).

If you configure email notifications (e.g. through a gmail account), you will be notified when the backup succeeds or fails (and you need to drive over for more troubleshooting).

2 Likes

No problem.

Another thing you might run into is the server changing local IP within the internal LAN. If the router supports it, DHCP reservations are often useful, if not you may need to set it to a static IP within the same subnet, but outside of the automatically assigned range. Typically X.X.X.2-99 are left for this purposes, where X.X.X.1 is the router’s local IP.

Happy Hacking.

3 Likes

Thank you for that alternative @blooper98 , really kind of you. I’ll look into that.

I’ve got TrueNAS to notify me with everything at the moment, hopefully it would do this when a snapshot backup has worked.

Thank again @WorBlux , on this (and only this!) occasion, I’m ahead of you and do reserve fixed IP’s on the LAN for specific devices.

I did think about changing IP range to 10.x.x.x, but only if this is some how safer than the usual 192.168.x.x?

1 Like