(Solved) Computer using too much RAM

Log into the machine in safe mode w/o networking. run spybot search and destroy or the like, CCleaner and clean registry/memory etc. This used to work for me when I was on Windows

3 Likes

What do you use this for ?

I have used CCleaner in safe mode and it worked. Brought the usage down to 30%. Thank you!

4 Likes

Please put (solved) in front thread title. It helps others with issue find a fix.

2 Likes

Disable superfetch and reboot the system.
That might solve windows taking so much memory.

That was Method 2 in the video I posted.

1 Like

The xbox stuff and telemetry ect… remote desktop. The setup is odd unless he has specific reasons.

I always forget about safemode as I barely ever go there.

For funsies, close Chrome and see how much memory you get back. Also, hop into Resource Monitor, hit the Memory tab and sort by Private.

Y’know linux uses like 450mb of ram at idle after boot. Sometimes even less than that.

1 Like

try deactivating superfetch in the services tab.
Superfetch is a horrible memory hog at times, and pretty much ahs no effect on performance.

1 Like

Superfetch speeds up windows search. It does impact you if you use a hard drive and not an SSD.

it is actually a ram caching service, much like the one samsung created for the evo ssd drive series.
Speeding up windows search is handled by the “windows search” service which handles indexing and so on.
IF any impact is made it is made in the start up of programs, since all it does is try to predict what program you’re going to be using next, and cache it for “faster” start times.

1 Like

Done. Thank you all for the help!

1 Like

It is better at the beginning, but that is just being too picky… lol