[SOLVED] Can't boot Ubuntu after a kernel update

I’ve upgraded to Ubuntu 18.04 about a week ago and everything went smoothly until I decided to update my kernel as shown on the “gaming on linux” video on the linus teck tips channel. I am using an amd graphics card, and I followed all the steps showed on the video, I though everything was fine till I reboot the system. In the most recent kernel the boot is freezing in the loading screen of Ubuntu and then I get a black screen with a list of things and errors which stays active for about a minute till it freezes too. Tried to run the last kernel that worked fine and the same exact thing is having over and over. I tried recovery mode on both kernels and all the repair options but still the same thing. Is there a way to recover the system without the need of a reinstalling of Ubuntu?

Are you able to boot into a command line interface?
Ctrl + Alt + F( 1 through 7 )

If it worked with the old kernel and then stopped working with the new kernel, and doesn’t even work with the old kernel now, then it probably isn’t the kernel. There was likely something else updated or installed during the session when you installed the newer kernel. Do you still have the install media and can you get to a live desktop with it?

yes and I get an error saying that “snappy daemon” failed to launch, and keeps trying to launch it

1 Like

I used the same USB that I used for the install and choose the try ubuntu option, which got me to a working desktop

If thats the case, its a error with Snapd, if you leave the system, it will sucessfully boot after approx 15 minutes.
Obviously thtas not good long term, but it will let you into your system so you can repair it from there.
Once youre in can you please let me know what kernel version you are running
Use “uname -a” in a terminal and it will say something along the lines of 4.15.0-33 generic

1 Like

I got the system up and running doing as you said. Although I didn’t manage to get the grub running because I lost the time window to press shift I just left the system run and it booted on kernel 4.19.0-041900 generic after a while. Now, what should I do to get ubuntu boot normally, without needing to wait about 15 min every time I need to use my computer? Note I haven’t shut the computer down since.

roll your kernel back to the last official signed one. its probably 4.15.
if you want a nice gui tool for that install UKUU (Ubuntu kernel update utility)

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:teejee2008/ppa
sudo apt update (as of 18.04 adding a repo will auto update but do it anyway)
sudo apt install ukuu

Then use the tool to install the signed kernel. Make sure you set it to boot on the signed one and then reboot. Should fix your issue.

If Mesa updated, it can interfere with the proprietary Nvidia driver on some occasions. I just had a Mesa update screw up a Nvidia driver. Best policy here is to uninstall and reinstall the Nvidia driver.

OP states he is using an AMD gpu

I would do a search on the exact error you are getting with the daemon and fix that first.

I removed the 4.19 kernel and stick to the latest official one. Seems fine for now. Tryed to remove it with ukuu but when I pressed the remove button the hole system froze. After a fresh restart I didn’t even bother to run ukuu again, just used commands to remove it. I love the fact that you can run commands to do everything. Thanks for your time everyone.