[SOLVED] BSOD Attempted switch from dps win 10

Having a issue with a old laptop here, Its a ASUS N53SV. It has WIndows 10 upgraded from win 7. The blue screen typically happens when you`re doing something like watching a youtube video or multi tasking. It typically blue screens pretty quickly after boot up but Ive gotten it to play a match of DOTA with no issues.. Somtimes it wont even get into windows before it blue screens Dump files are here

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3ahExXaawXreHZ4VEtJVkVkRDQ/view?usp=sharing

@Novasty @Dynamic_Gravity @Commissar @PhaseLockedLoop @Peanut253

I appreciate any help!

While you wait for dump file details start with the basics.

Run memtest
Open CMD as admin and run sfc/scannow

check your hdd smart report status

Also is this happening when plugged in or on battery? (or both)
are you on 'max performance' power setting?

I haven't ran a mem test but pulled each ram stick out individually and it continued to have the issue, i tried to do the sfc/scannow but it keeps saying something else is running, though i have no idea what it is. The HDD is a nearly new ssd. As far as power options the batt is useless so its always plugged in and on max performance

Looking at those 2 dumps doesnt reveal anything special in particular. On one it seems to point to your wireless card driver but that doesnt seem to be the case for the other. I would definitely recommend making sure you have all the latest drivers from the manufacturer because from experience windows 10 does not always get the latest and greatest.

ive tried keeping everything up to date, sadly asus only has updates to win 8 they never made new drivers for 10 i was able to get sfc/scannow to work but it found no issues

Uninstall Acronis and see where that leads you.

Specifically anything related to Acronis Snapshot Manager.

Ok did that, currently opening a ton of windows and stuff, well see if it crashes

Well so far I cant seem to get it to blue screen :smiley: Im hoping that was it!

I seem to remember an issue with the actual windows updater its self going from 8 to 8.1. Have to update the updater.

yea but when you go to drivers it only gives you the option to click win 7 in the OS list. But I think uninstalling Acronis worked as I cant seem to get it to crash now and I got a game open and i have youtube just randomly auto playing on 3 tabs for the past like 30 min lol

It was advertising in the corner :slight_smile: misleading.

1 Like

BSODs reference bugcheck b8: Attempted Switch from DPC
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/ff560140(v=vs.85).aspx

Which the driver snapman.sys was also called as a possible cause.

snapman.sys is a driver responsible for Acronis Snapshot manager.
The driver date is also listed as 2006 which raises some flags.

All of that information was in the dumps provided.

4 Likes

heh go figure! Thanks alot @Novasty I`ve been dealing with this thing like this for months XD

Excellent

keep an eye on it though OP, but looks likes @Novasty got it.

Currently at work so I sorry I wasn't able to help!

1 Like

LOL another case where a software maker simply doesnt give enough attention to windows drivers. Gosh I hate it when they do that

Asus themselves drags their feet on drivers.

1 Like