[SOLVED] ASRock X570 Taichi/Gigabyte GC-Titan Ridge AIC: Thunderbolt 3 devices OK - But USB 3/DisplayPort device Hotplug causes BSoD :(

Thanks for the reply, im on my 28th day to return all of this, if tb3 doesnt work fine ill return the just the tb3 card and keep the rest, but the temps just scare me, any idea how to have this idle around 28c to 35c without having fans sounding like a tornado or can you direct me to a good thread for best taichi settings because im ripping my hairs off regret leaving intel and all because i hate the stutter i used to get with intel. Thanks in advance! I wanna make music already!

And ive tried 1909 windows 10 and now 1803 and nothing just a bunch of random glitchesā€¦

I also have DCH drivers I think (installed from gigabyte GC-TITANRIDGE page), and no issues. Tested with a thunderbolt NVME drive and with thunderbolt network connection to my laptop.
I use the TRX40 designare and it looks like I have build 1903

1 Like

Hiā€¦have you tested the thunderbolt with your ryzenā€¦I need this feedback because I have ryzen 7 2700 and an audio interface called apollo x6ā€¦

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/music-computers/1160865-amd-ryzen-amp-uad-2-thread-5.html#post14381416..Man have read all these?many people report that can work with thunderbolt and ryzen!!please tell me if you find a solution!!I am ready to buy apollo x6ā€¦I donā€™t know. This is my Facebook, please tell me!!(Zorbas Giwrgos - Fb)

yes but not an audio interface. the designare tx40 is A+ tb support. I was talking about the asrock phantom gaming which, depending on bios version, is fine or maybe needs a bit of fiddling.

Would appreciate any help. I have the Gigabyte TRX40 Designare and every time Iā€™ve put the included Titan Ridge card in the bottom slot (or any slot) the computer either stop on d4 error (Resource allocation) or shuts down during boot up. Starting to wonder if I have a bad card.

Hi Wendell. Are you saying that the GC-Titan Ridge will not handle an audio interface? Iā€™ve been trying to set mine up for days on my TRX40 Designare and I either get a d4 Resource allocation error or the computer fails during boot up sequence and shuts down. Have removed everything but an M.2 1TB Sabrent NVMe drive and my graphics card. Radeon RX580. Any help is appreicated.

Try to enable above 4g decoding with 48 width

1 Like

What @maximlevitsky said lol

1 Like

Thank you both. Turned out that it may be a resource sharing issue. I donā€™t have the expertise to know for sure. Nothing in the manual that I can see. But saw in another forum that someone had solved a similar issue on this board by realizing that the PCIe slot might be shared with the M.2 slots. I have a NVMe in M.2 socket M2M. Based on my limited knowledge of how to read the block diagram it appears that M2M and M2Q go directly to the CPU, while M2P and M2C go to the chipset. Since all of the PCIe slots also go to the CPU I thought, okay Iā€™ll move the NVMe drive to M2P. Initially it wouldnā€™t boot. So I moved it to M2C. While doing that I realize that my power cable for the monitor was possibly not all the way in on the PSU. (I had unplugged and replugged when moving things. Had to move the Graphics card out and back in to get to the NVMe) So Iā€™m still not 100% sure it didnā€™t work in that socket since the MB code ā€œwasā€ at A0 signifying it ā€œshouldā€ have been working. Probably was and I didnā€™t see it because the graphics card wasnā€™t plugged inā€¦ maybe.

So I moved the NVMe to M2C and viola! It worked. So the system had the NVMe in socket M2C, the graphics card in slot 16x_1 and the GC-Titan Ridge in slot 8x_2. But wait, now I needed to set the AORUS Gen4 AIC Adaptor. Placed that in slot 16X_2. Booted up and got the d4 resource allocation error which is what had started the whole thing. So now Iā€™m thinking great, you just canā€™t use both cards that shipped with the board at the same time with an NVMe in one of the MB slots?

Iā€™m new at this but I donā€™t give up easily. So I decided the only way to be sure was to move the GC-Titan Ridge to the 8X_1 slot since if there was another resource sharing issue (there shouldnā€™t be with this systemā€¦ 88 lanes!) the only PCIe slot that was left that the card would work in was that one. So I moved it. It worked. :slightly_smiling_face:

So for me, and thereā€™s no way to know if this is the only way, What worked was the Graphics card in 16x_1, the Titan Ridge in slot 8X_1, I now have also installed a firewire card (I know) in the 1X slot, the Gen4 AIC Adaptor in slot 16X_2, which has an 8TB RAID 0 set up, clocking at about 7400 read/16500 write BTW, (4 Sabrent 2TB 4.0 NVMe) and the NVMe boot drive, a Sabrent 1TB 4.0 NVMe in socket M2C.

I did plug PEG in to the MB sometime after I moved the NVMe to the M2C socket. At ā€œthatā€ moment it didnā€™t change anything but might have been a factor in my final solution. No way to know if I donā€™t unplug it. But if it ainā€™t broken donā€™t fix it.

I never did enable 4g decoding as I saw that ā€œafterā€ I had solved the issue. Although I have yet to plug anything in to the card to test it so weā€™ll see. It does show in both the device manager and the BIOS so thereā€™s every indication that it will work.

So being a newbie I felt I did okay. Hopefully this will help someone.

The right saying is that if it ainā€™t broken, fix it till it is :smiley:
I realy hope it will work fo me. I have currently a workstation gpu in top 8x slot and titan ridge in the bottom 8x slot and one nvme drive in the m2 slot next to 1x slot.
I am planning to add 2 16x gpus, and maybe usb card to 1x slotā€¦

1 Like

And about the bandwidth sharing, I donā€™ t think anything is shared on this board.

We have CPU with 64 lanes out of which we have

16x slot
16x slot
8x slot
8x slot
8x to the chipset
4x nvme
4x nvme

The chipset gets 8 lanes and outputs 16 lanes:

4x nvme
4x nvme

1x lan1
1x lan2
1x wifi
1x PCIe slot

And we have 4 lanes wasted, which are usually occupied by
extra USB controller, extra SATA controller, or more lanes given
to 10G lan on more expensive boards.

The only board I know that has lane sharing is Zenith Extreme 2, which
shares bottom 8x slot with back 5th NVMe slot (and even that makes
the bottom 8x slot drop to 4x, and I wish that was the case on
my board as well, since TITAN RIDGE is 4x card so I waste 4 lanes on it
BTW it is a big shame that it is 4x card, since it has TWO thunderbolt ports,
and each has 40 GB/s bandwidth, so it is bottlenecked greatly by having
only 4 lanes.

1 Like

Hereā€™s more info:

On the gigabyte forum a user claimed his set up worked with Titan Ridge just fine even though the had NVMe drive in M2M, M2Q and M2C. He also had the Quard AIC in slot x16_2. However, has Titan Ridge, as I do now that itā€™s working, in x8_1 not x8_2 where it seems to be recommended. So, perhaps were dealing with a MB issue that is universal?

Another post there said:

Titan Ridge make D4 errors. Same with TRX40 Xtreme. Gigabyte is working on it.

So this could be a manufacturer issue. Weā€™ll see. Just glad mine is workingā€¦ well iā€™ll know for sure when I finally plug something in to it. But the system see it. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Kind of ironic that the trend is that the GC-Titan Ridge is working ā€œfineā€ on third-party motherboards like the X570 Taichi but makes trouble with their own brand.

There is a new firmware revision out for GC-Titan Ridge which takes it from V43 to V50.

Updated Thunderbolt DCH drivers (Version 66) (Windows 10 1909 or later recommended) are also available.

Hi Guys. Bill, N.Z. hereā€¦ Again. Need a bit of help/advice please. I have the Taichi x570/ GC-TITAN RIDGE (rev. 1.0)ā€¦ I recently bought a Samsung Thb3 Monitor https://www.samsung.com/nz/monitors/curved-cj791/ The monitor has a 2 port USB 2 in back of it, which has become a real problem for me. When I connect, via Thb3 out, from my GC Titan Ridge AIC, into my monitor, the hub doesnā€™t show up in windows, under available drives, when I have flash/USB drives connected to it. ? I took it back to the store, and the tech scratched his head, and promptly unplugged the DP out from my graphics card, which WAS going to my Titan Ridge, and plugged a DP cable into it, with the other end going into the DP input of my monitor, AND connected, FROM, my monitorā€™s THB port, to the USB-C port in back of my Taichi. !? THENā€¦ the hub showed up, with itā€™s respective USB/Flashdrives connected. ? He completely bypassed my Titan Ridge ?! Sorry guys, Iā€™m extremely new to this stuff, and get quite confused at the best of times. I told him, that he had just defeated the whole purpose of me buying my card, then waiting 3 weeks to get it. ! He just shrugged his shouldersā€¦ I donā€™t know if itā€™s of any help, but Iā€™ve been getting Windows warnings in Device Manager about ā€œPCI Express Upstream Switch Portā€ (Code 31) ? Somethingā€™s really not right with this THB thing. My bios wonā€™t allow me to Enable THB Support. ? Everytime I go into the bios and change ā€œThunderbolt Supportā€, to ā€œEnableā€, when I rebootā€¦ it wonā€™t bootā€¦ ? I have to turn the power off and clear the cmosā€¦ everytime. ? Iā€™ve tried reflashing the bios several timesā€¦ 2.70, 2.73ā€¦ etcā€¦ Iā€™m on Bios 3.00 at the momentā€¦ but just really confused as to where to begin. ? When I spoke with the tech today, he said that I couldnā€™t get display from my computer to my monitor through THB ? I saidā€¦ ā€œI canā€ā€¦ ā€œShow meā€ he said. So i did. ! I showed him the message in Device Manager about PCI Express Upstream Switch Portā€¦ He just told me to go home and check my driversā€¦ Sorry if my info here is rather confusing. Iā€™m really unfamiliar with the techno lingo. If I can supply anymore info, please let me know. Iā€™m a bit lost here at the moment, and this ā€œHuman Malwareā€ virus nonsense hasnā€™t helped. Thanks to Steve at Gamers Nexus for that termā€¦ Not sure if it was meant to be funny. ? but I found it quite amusingā€¦ Thanks guys for any help or suggestion. Greetings from ā€œThe Land Of The Wrong White Crowdā€, oops, sorryā€¦ ā€œLong White Cloudā€ā€¦ Just topped population 5 million hereā€¦

Bill, have you updated the GC-Titan Ridge card to the latest firmware V50? Also have you loaded the latest drivers. Checkout the 2 posts above yours and update the cardā€™s firmware and windows drivers then try connecting to your new monitor again.

Let us know how you get on!

Sorry so late getting back. I did, yes, I updated the Titan drivers, but to no avail. I ā€œright-clickedā€ and installed those 3 .inf files as suggested, successfully, then rebooted, but it didnā€™t download the Intel Thunderbolt Control Center Software as was mentioned in the post. I feel like such a nerdā€¦ ! Sorry, whatā€™s happened in-between all this isā€¦ When I originally got the Titan Ridge, it was taking forever to get here (New Zealand), so I bought the proprietary Asrock AICā€¦ I put it to one side, because the Titan Ridge seemed far superior, but of course after having an awful lot of problems, I just gave up, and thought Iā€™ll give the Asrock a ā€œgoā€ā€¦ I took out the Titan, stuck in the Asrock, booted up, Windows still couldnā€™t ā€œseeā€ the USB 2.0 hub on my monitor, but this time, when I rebooted into the Bios, I thought, just for the hell of it I would give ā€œEnable Thunderbolt Support No Securityā€, a goā€¦ Wellā€¦ I rebootedā€¦ andā€¦ it booted up ??? Bizarre manā€¦ Almost like Asrockā€™s put some code in there. ? Naā€¦ Anyway 1anx, Iā€™m sitting here after plugging things in and out, and I just cannot get Thunderbolt going+being able to access the hub on my monitor. ? In the process of all the combinations of plugging things in and out Iā€™ve discovered that it seems the only way I am able to access the USB hub on my THB Monitor, is, if it is connected to my GPU, via either the Display Port, or HDMI, and thatā€™s with taking a feed from the USB 3.1 Gen2 port on the back of my Motherboard, into one of the Thunderbolt inputs on my Monitor. ! What a circus m8 ! ;^) I just think it canā€™t do it ? Iā€™m ignorantā€¦ I just donā€™t know. ? Too many variables. Thankā€™s so much for replying m8. Iā€™m getting nowhere fast here. Also, whatā€™s happened now is. Iā€™ve got the Asrock card installed, but it wonā€™t let me install the Thunderbolt Software Setup. ? It just says ā€œEnded Prematurely Because Of An Errorā€ ? Doesnā€™t say anything about what kind of error.? Itā€™s such a weird arrangement. Taking a feed from your GPU to the THB card, then out to a monitor. ? and the Asrock AIC is worse. ! because it requires 2 Display Port feeds ? Sorry, bad descriptionā€¦ It requires 2 inputs from your Graphics Card. 1 is Display Port out of the GPU to Display Port in on the Asrock THB cardā€¦ the other is another Display Port out of the GPU to Mini Display (is that the same as THB ?) in, on the THB Card. Iā€™m so sorryā€¦ this is too long-windedā€¦ Maybe I should take up golf, or tiddllywinks. ?! Thanks so much again 1anX. Iā€™ll revisit the post you mentioned again, and try reinstalling those driversā€¦ but donā€™t hold your breath. ! Cheers m8ā€¦
P.Sā€¦ Thunderbolt worksā€¦ Sorry I should have said that right from the start ! Not sure if Iā€™m making myself clear m8. It worksā€¦ but I just cantā€™ access the USB 2.0 hub on my monitor. Iā€™ll probably just give up and use the DP or HDMI. I donā€™t think the quality of the picture will be as good, but I think Iā€™ve just about done this problem to death m8ā€¦ Humble apologies to anyone reading this rubbishā€¦ Ta.

Aha, did you connect that usb 2 cable from titan ridge to mobo?