[SOLVED] ASRock X570 Taichi/Gigabyte GC-Titan Ridge AIC: Thunderbolt 3 devices OK - But USB 3/DisplayPort device Hotplug causes BSoD :(

That sucks with the PCIE slot. The Thunderbolt card has to reside there.
Cell phone works just fine now. No issues. I can data transfer no problem and hot plug.

Windows 10 V 1809
AMD RX 580 Graphics Card
Bios Version P1.70

I just came across this thread and Iā€™m glad I did. I have just built a system with an X570 Taichi, 3900x, 5700 XT and use the Asrock Thunderbolt 3 AIC to connect to an LG Ultrafine 5k display over thunderbolt that I had when I used a mac. Iā€™m a recent convert, go easy on me.

Iā€™ve managed to get Windows 10 (1903) installed but Iā€™ve got two issues that I would love some help debugging.

First, when I enable thunderbolt support in the bios, the system bootloops 2 or 3 times during POST, then boots up just fine. Weird!

Second, at full 5k resolution (using 2 DP cables into the AIC, then thunderbolt to the display) the monitor randomly disconnects, flickers, and reconnects.

Am I missing some settings?

Edit: spelling.

2 Likes

Two possible scenarios pop into my mind:

1. Do you have the ā€œfixedā€ version of that display with better EMF shielding?

The first version was negatively impaired with 2.4 GHz wireless stuff (Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, badly shielded USB 3.0 devices/cables).

1. Apple uses a non-standard TB implementation.

To drive the 5K display without any issues Apple muxed the two separate DP 1.2 signals of TB into one Frankensteinā€™s Monster pseudo 1.2+, since a single DP 1.2 connection that absolutely adheres to its standard might have trouble driving that amount of pixels@60 Hz@10 bit color.

So maybe since the non-Apple TB hardware of your PC strictly obeys the rules these glitches appear since it only sends a single DP 1.2 signal to the display.

Maybe this could be helped by using a Titan Ridge AIC, I donā€™t know.

Another obvious thing to try is a different TB cable maybe that one has a signal integrity issue for some reason.

Thanks for the helpful suggestions. Iā€™ve done some digging and youā€™re right, I donā€™t have the ā€˜fixedā€™ version. However Iā€™ve never had an issue with it until connecting it to this new PC. I installed Ubuntu on a secondary SSD and so far have experienced zero disconnects or flickering, so it must be a driver issue on Windows. Iā€™ll keep digging and report back with my findings.

I have the LG 5k UltraFine display as well, and I get occasional dropouts/flickers in the signal as well. Iā€™m driving it from a laptop (Lenovo X1 Extreme) running Ubuntu.
Tends to be pretty random, and usually goes away when itā€™s been running for a few minutes.

Forgot to ask:

• Do you have the single port ASRock AIC (Revision 1) or the newer dual port version (Revision 2)?

• If itā€™s Revision 2 can you check whether or not that card might maaaybe have actually a Titan Ridge chipset and ASRockā€™s specifications website just has a copy and paste error stating that it has the Alpine Ridge TB3 chipset?

• Do you have a non-TB USB Type-C device that actually uses USB 3.0 or 3.1 and can you check if hotplugging them with a running Windows leads to BSoDs?

@shiftyphil

Do you have the original or the revised revision of the 5K Ultrafine display?

I have revision 1 of the Asrock card. Iā€™ll have a look when I get home to see if itā€™s Titan ridge as well as test hot plug and report my findings. I just ordered the Gigabyte titan ridge card to test as well. That should be arriving this weekend. I can A/B test both cards with my motherboard and see which one provides the most stable result. Iā€™ll update with a post soon.

1 Like

Thank you, Iā€™d really appreciate that!

Would be hilarious if my X570 Taichi simply had a defect and the GC-Titan Ridge worked just fineā€¦

The first gen Asrock card is indeed Alpine ridge. I tested 4 different USB 3 Type-C devices on the thunderbolt ports directly, as well as the ports on the back of the LG 5k display and didnt experience any BSODs. The display still flickers from time to time, but thatā€™s a problem for another day :sweat_smile:.

1 Like

Thanks, looking forward to the GC-Titan Ridge comparison!

Hi all,

I finally found someone that tried to build a PC with X570 Taichi and Ryzen 3000 with a thunderbolt card.
I was looking for the compatibility of the GC-Titan-Ridge with the mentioned mobo and here I am.

Since Iā€™d like to mount 3 NVMe M.2 and I didnā€™t found anything about how PCIe lanes are shared on the Taichi, does anyone know if all the three disks will work? If not, is there a workaround to install three disks and the thunderbolt interface?

Thanks!

Check the manual for the Taichi. I have the Steel legend and the NVMe slots are disabled with Thunderbolt enabled. I would guess itā€™s going to be the same for that board as well. But it will tell you in the manual.

Okay, found it. I double checked this morning in the wrong place.
It says the 3rd M.2 slot disables the PCIe5 in presence of disk.

I asked to ASRock if itā€™s possible to move the thunderbolt card to pcie3 with some bios settings, but I think thatā€™s not possible.

Could be an idea to install a nvme adapter in PCIe3 as workaround?

1 Like

As mentioned in this thread Iā€™ve tried all full size PCIe slots during trouble-shooting attempts. The GC-Titan Ridge TB3 part worked in every slot the same way with the USB 3/DP issues discussed in this thread.

The X570 Taichi seems to be able* to run PCIe 1 in x16 and PCIe 3 in x4 with PCIe lanes supplied by the CPU. Only if you use a PCIe x8 or x16 card in PCIe 3 the lane setup will then switch to x8/x8.

(*this or HWiNFO is not showing the PCIe interfaces correctly)

1 Like

I received and installed the GC-Titan Ridge AIC today. It seems to have resolved the display flickering issue that I was experiencing with the LG 5k display and Alpine Ridge Cards. The GC-Titan Ridge appears to be of much better build quality than the Asrock version, with RF shielding, power connectors, and more sturdy DP connectors.

@aBav.Normie-Pleb I still have no BSOD issues when hotplugging USB 3 devices. Iā€™m not sure whatā€™s causing them for you, and not for me. Do you want me to debug or check anything else?

1 Like

THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

Gd*, this then looks very much like a simple motherboard defect and I went down a rabbit hole for nothing.

But Iā€™m relieved that I might continue my buildwith a new X570 Taichi then.

Got my replacement X570 Taichi, still havenā€™t had the time to check on it, will report back with any news.

SOLVED - ISSUES WERE CAUSED BY DEFECTIVE MOTHERBOARD

With a replacement motherboard (same hardware revision, same BIOS version) you can just pop the Gigabyte GC-Titan Ridge Thunderbolt AIC into the lowest PCIe slot, connect Thunderbolt, USB 2.0 header and PCIe power delivery cables and it JUST WORKS with the drivers you can download on Gigabyteā€™s website for the GC-Titan Ridge.

Goddamn, the wasted time.

2 Likes

Great to hear!

1 Like

Can anyone try an egpu with this. I have a tiachi and would love to be able to use egpu if possible. I know the web site of asrock says it does not support it.