[SOLVED] ASRock X570 Taichi/Gigabyte GC-Titan Ridge AIC: Thunderbolt 3 devices OK - But USB 3/DisplayPort device Hotplug causes BSoD :(

Overlooked Thunderbolt notes on the X570 Taichi’s Overview (not Specifications) page:

I mean, DAFAQ?

Thunderbolt 3 AIC Header

Thunderbolt 3 is no longer limited to certain chipset, ASRock is the first motherboard manufacturer to skillfully implement the Thunderbolt 3 technology onto AMD X570 motherboards. All you need is a Thunderbolt 3 AIC R2.0 card!

*1: Only three TB3 devices can be detected.
*2 : Some USB 3.2 Type-C devices will cause system reboot after wake up from S3/S4.
*3 : Cannot light up the TB3 monitor after wake up from S3/S4, re-plug the cable is needed.
*4 : Does not support Thunderbolt 3 PCIe graphics card box.

Can we get a Kickstarter campaign to fix that mess?

1 Like

Thanks So much for posting this. Looking to build the exact same setup and was wondering if the Gigabyte AIC would work with the Asrock board.

I will be running a Pro Audio interface off the Thunderbolt port. (Presonus Quantum)

1 Like

Hi there and welcome to the forum!

That’s kind of funny since @wendell’s video about shoving Thunderbolt onto a Threadripper motherboard was the reason why I looked more and more at Level1 Techs content and eventually joined the forum.

As mentioned TB3 worked for me with its virtual Ethernet Bridge functionality but I don’t have other TB3 devices to test at the moment.

If you choose to proceed with your build it would be very helpful if you could post your experiences then.

ASRock seems to be the only option for possible Thunderbolt utilization on AMD left right now since Gigabyte pulled its tail between its legs and no longer solders the Thunderbolt Header onto its X570 motherboards :frowning:

Good news. I do have an asrock tb3 board on the way and will test hotplug

3 Likes

Thanks for the update!

SUCCESS!!
Got everything set up this evening. Just a test setup for now. Asrock X570 STeel Legend with an R7 3800X.
Gigabyte’s Titan Ridge add-in card. Installed the default drivers. Picked up my Presonus Quantum and the daisy-chained UAD 2 Satellite. All working in Presonus Studio One DAW.

I will get the proper setup going tomorrow and report any glitches, but could not be happier right now!!

4 Likes

Congratulations!

Nice to see that my positive TB3 tests were not a fluke.

Are you able to test hotplug on DisplayPort out and non-TB USB 3.x Type-C devices in the TB Type-C ports on the GC-Titan Ridge AIC?

(Note: Due to the risk of a sudden BSoD don’t have any unsaved important files open)

And can you give some more system details?

• Windows 10 Version (1809, 1903?)

• Used GPU? With DisplayPort 1.4?

Thanks!

1 Like

Does anyone know if there is a new Titan Ridge TB3 firmware version that maybe addresses such issues? There’s nothing on Gigabyte’s website but since the only version of this AIC is Rev 1.0 that has been out for almost a year I doubt that there haven’t been any new firmware releases for thst chipset knowing Intel…

So far.
Display ports don’t look to work at all. I only have a 1 display port monitor, so no much to go with, But nothing from those ports.

USB 3. The only device I have is my phone. No issues with lock ups or BSOD’s. But the phone does not connect as a data device. (fast)Charges just fine from those ports, but no data connection.

That sounds very weird.

Just to be sure:

• The USB 2.0 Header cable is connected

• The one DisplayPort cable from your GPU is plugged into one of the two mDP inputs of the AIC

• The mDP inputs have numbers, the TB port you use for your devices has the same number as the mDP input port that is connected to your GPU

• Thunderbolt is enabled in the motherboards UEFI

?

Display Port in? What is that for? And why 2? I would have thought that there would be more out, I never even thought that it would have a DP in.

Thunderbolt can carry a 2 DisplayPort signals to a dock or monitor.

I am still confused.

So you go DP out from the GPU in your PC to DP in on the TB card also in your PC to then go DP out to a dock? But why not just go right from the GPU in the PC, you are all ready there with the GPU?

Edit: thinking about it more only makes it more only makes it more confusing. If you are doing it to have a 1 wire solution then you still have looping nest of cables going out of and back into your PC, maybe a bit tiboer but this seems like a really strange thing to add to a TB AIC just for the sake of a very odd use case.

Well, you can ask Intel about that…

Thunderbolt is supposed to always carry DisplayPort signals meaning if you get TB via an AIC you’ll get ugly short cable loops at the back of your system.

I get that DP is probably unnecesary for most needs but that’s the way that standard is built.

Can you just not? I mean can it just do.regular thunderbolt, USB and so on without having to have a DP signal present? Seems like a really stupid requirement.

I don’t know yet.

I think, @Kdavies found that out by not connecting DP to the AIC which may mean yes.

That would be pretty interesting to test out, unfortunately I don’t have many TB devices (yet).

1 Like

I do have an intel PC that has thunderbolt but it is alpine ridge. It can do the DP and all that but being built in I never thought about it being required as it will be wired up anyway internally. I always just assumed it was mostly output so seeing the card with dedicated ins was very odd, I would have assumed at the very least they would have been bidirectional.

1 Like

UPDATE!

USB header was not fully plugged into MB. USB Type c connection now works with data transfer. I can hotplug with no issues. Connects and disconnects like a standard USB.

And I have no idea why, But the display port pass through now also works on both ports. It took an extra minute to boot up to the windows display , monitor flashing on and off while it did so. ( I may have been impatient first time around). I can hot plug with no lockups or reboots.

So it looks like all the functionality of the card works just fine.

One thing I am reporting to ASrock is that the secondary (maybe primary as well, but I don’t have a supported device). The M2 slots are disabled when Thunderbolt is enabled. Enabled Thunderbolt, M2 drive in secondary slot is gone, Disable it, It shows up again. There are no advanced thunderbolt options, just on and off. So nothing obvious to play with.

1 Like

Damn, you lucky b****** :wink:

It’s normal that the second (or third, depending on motherboard) M.2 slot does not work if the lowest large PCIe slot is occupied since they share the PCIe lanes - so no reason to contact ASRock (respectively give the manual a read).

Can you please give further system details?

• Used Windows 10 version (1809, 1903)

• Used grahics card

• Motherboard BIOS version

Also it might be that your connected cell phone only uses USB 2.0 that is not known to have issues so far.

That sucks with the PCIE slot. The Thunderbolt card has to reside there.
Cell phone works just fine now. No issues. I can data transfer no problem and hot plug.

Windows 10 V 1809
AMD RX 580 Graphics Card
Bios Version P1.70