[SOLVED] ASRock X570 Taichi/Gigabyte GC-Titan Ridge AIC: Thunderbolt 3 devices OK - But USB 3/DisplayPort device Hotplug causes BSoD :(

So just flashed to NVM23, deleted the existing driver package per Wendell’s post, and then installed the old driver software package and unfortunately the issue persists. With this configuration I have to have the non-thunderbolt USB 3.x plugged into before boot to detect so no hot swapping of the drive is available this time as when I eject the drive and plug it back in nothing is recognized and within the Thunderbolt Software both ports disappear the minute I remove the device.

However, something interesting still happens when the non-thunderoblt USB 3.x device is plugged in. Even though the device isn’t detected, the constant USB insertion/removal noise disappears entirely.

Anything else I should try?

Read your response too quickly the first time and skipped over the pin shorting part. Did not do that when applying Wendell’s fix. Does the pin-short method require me to flash back to NVM50 and the provided Gigabyte drivers or should I keep the NVM23 with the older driver set with this method?

Thanks!

So far I wasn’t able to find the “platform handles errors first” option (but I majorly dislike the AMD UEFI sub-menues).

You have to disable that feature so that the errors get reported to the OS that hopefully logs them, as far as I know there is no other form of ECC “support” on AM4.

If you just wanted to ask if ECC “works” then yes, the OS reports Multi-bit ECC.

2 Likes

Keep NVM23 and use the pin short method.

Sounds like your device is indeed requesting more amperage than the port can deliver without the PCI-E power connected, so you need both 6 pins connected.

Just a small user experience update:

BIOS settings that work best for me:

• CSM disabled
  • Secure Boot enabled
  • Above 4G decoding enabled
  • IOMMU enabled
  • SR-IOV enabled
  • SVM enabled
  • ASPM L1.1_L1.2
  • Security: User Authorization
  • DMA protection enabled
  • ACS enabled
  • AER capability enabled

In Windows’ security settings: Core Isolation enabled (activates Hyper-V for the host OS)

Tested devices:

ASUS has introduced their first Thunderbolt 4 AIC that needs a motherboard with that stupid 13-pin header :expressionless:

Hope that Gigabyte or ASRock are following soon and that a Thunderbolt 4 AIC doesn’t need these extra pins to operate properly.

While TB4 isn’t that upgrade-worthy compared to Titan Ridge TB3, it’s nice to get a product where you know that the silicon/firmware revision should be as new as possible due to the various Thunderbolt bugs/security issues…

But it’s also nice to get 20 Gbit/s USB-C support.

Unfortunately it looks like that is the new spec. I got a Prime Z390-A just because it’s one of the last boards with the 5 pin header. Guess what? Official support is very broken should you opt for firmware for legacy drivers rather than DCH. And that’s required to run macOS.

Upgrade to TB4 is a big deal in that you can direct connect multiple systems via a TB4 hub and essentially have a TB3-4 peer to peer lan with hardware.

Another interesting note is that a TB4 hub will also work with TB3 (means you don’t need a TB4 port to get the benefit of a TB4 Hub) - you can connect a TB4 hub to a TB3 port and get all the benefits of TB4 hub

It was unexpected for me that a TB4 hub would work with Win 10 and it does; there are some subtle exceptions on the W10 side where it doesn’t work (like I couldn’t get it to work on W10 machine via a titan ridge controller built into the board - I suspect that the firmware could be an issue since the TB4 hub behavior is different for a titan ridge AIC (works) vs a titan ridge in the motherboard

Just to keep this thread current:

The ASRock X570 Taichi Razer Edition also works fine with the GC-Titan Ridge 2.0.

Finally got my GC-Titan Ridge 2.0 and things are working, but not without issues. I do realize that I am using a Thunderbolt 4 Dock, but the TB4 spec should be completely backward-compatible with Titan Ridge Controllers. I do have a Titan Ridge based Dock on order to test with just in case it is related to the TB4 dock I am using. At this point any suggestions are welcome.

Issue Details

• On reboot of the computer, only Video over DisplayPort comes up, while anything that would required data is not working until I unplug the Thunderbolt host cable, wait a few seconds, then plug the Thunderbolt host cable back in.
  • Cold Boot acts the same as reboot
  • Waking from (S3) sleep seems to work fine, with all peripherals becoming usable within 10 seconds (I think I had a few instances where the system crashed after waking from sleep)
  • I am seeing messages in event viewer indicating “further installation is required” for the thunderbolt controller, but it also indicates that the device is working properly.

GC-Titan Ridge 2.0

• Firmware: v50
  • 5 Pin Connected
  • 2 x PCI-E Power Connected
  • 2 x Mini-Displayport Connected
  • Thunderbolt Dock Connected to Port 2

Motherboard Details

• Asrock x570 Taichi
  • BIOS v4.10
  • CPU - 5800X
  • RAM 32GB @ 3600

BIOS Settings

• TB Support - Enabled
  • TB Security Mode - No Security
  • CMS - Disabled
  • Above 4G Decoding - Enabled
  • Re-Size Bar Support - Enabled
  • SR-IOV Support - Enabled
  • Fast Boot - Disabled
  • XMP Profile - Enabled
  • PCIE DEvices Power On - Enabled
  • IOMMU - Enabled
  • DMA Protection - Enabled

Kensington SD5700T Thunderbolt 4 Dock

• USB Keyboard
  • USB Mouse
  • Ethernet Cable
  • 2 x USB-C to Displayport 1.4 Cables
2 Likes

Questions:

1. Have you installed the latest Thunderbolt drivers 1.41.1094.0 directly from Intel?

2. What Windows version are you using? 10 20H2?

3. Have you tried “User Authentication” in the UEFI TB Security options?

(Then connect all your devices once when Windows is up and running and accept the TB devices in Intel’s TB software)

Other than that welcome to this mad house!

Answers

1. Yes, I am using the latest Intel DCH drivers straight from their website
  2. I am using Window 10 20H2, fully updated
  3. I will attempt this later today and report back with the results

well…it looks like setting it to “User Authentication” resolved the issues for me. All peripherals are now working as expected after reboots and cold/warm boots. I’m glad it was so simple!

2 Likes

Glad to hear!

Thought I would include my experience on this topic since I used this thread as a reference. My PC has an X570 Taichi with a 5900x. I installed the Gigabyte GC-Titan Ridge 2.0 Thunderbolt 3 AIC, and it has worked perfectly for me with my PreSonus Quantum 26x32 audio interface. I used the card, the Startech thunderbolt 3 to thunderbolt 2 convertor, and Apple’s official 2m Thunderbolt 2 cable. I (0) enabled the thunderbolt 3 option and switched to “no security” (1) physically installed and connected the AIC and my audio interface (2) booted the computer and installed the thunderbolt DRIVER from gigabyte’s website (I would include the link but the forum won’t allow it) (3) Then I ran the AIC firmware update tool from the same link under “utilities”, but my FW was already up to date (4) Installed the interface’s “Universal Control” software (5) restarted.

The interface works as advertised, with imperceptible round-trip latency in Pro Tools 12.5, 96kHz, and 64 buffers. My only issue is that sometimes the interface will not communicate with the computer on startup, but I just need to un/replug the TB cable. Very solid once I have a connection. I hope this helps somebody.

2 Likes

Thank you so much for this!! I have the Asrock x570 steel Legend as well and have been looking for people that have the board that can tell me if the titan ridge works!! Good to see it is!! I can get it now!!

ok I have this the X570 steel Legend and that is totally false it doesnt’ disable the NVME M2 SLOTS! only only disables the SATA type M.2 portion if you have sata based m.2 drives they will no longer work but if you have PCIe m.2 nvme drives they will still work with thunderbolt enabled.

are you useing a Sata based nvme drive? or a pcie nvme drive? because if your using a sata based nvme drive the solution would be to buy a pcie nvme drive and it will start to work again.

• NVMe is a protocol, all NVMe SSDs are PCIe SSDs
  • M.2 is a form factor that can do PCIe NVMe or SATA AHCI SSDs

Clear language here is important to avoid buying a wrong part that in the best case is much slower than desired or in the worst case doesn’t work at all.

There are actually three types of devices:

• M.2 PCIe NVMe: the slot pins carry PCIe, and the drive talks NVMe.
  • M.2 PCIe AHCI: the slot pins carry PCIe, and the drive acts like an AHCI (SATA) host controller with one disk.
  • M.2 SATA: the slot pins carry SATA, just like an old SATA cable. The motherboard must route those pins to an AHCI (SATA) host controller.