[SOLVED] ASRock Rack ROMED8-2T fan speed control?

How do I control the fan speed on the ASRock Rack ROMED8-2T? Everything’s running at max all the time. The fan headers have the correct pins for fan speed and PWM.

https://www.asrockrack.com/general/productdetail.asp?Model=ROMED8-2T#Specifications

I don’t see an option in the BIOS.

It’s in the IPMI web interface.

The factory defaults are an internal open loop table for all headers based on CPU temperature. All at max suggests it’s not at default settings, there’s something wrong with the CPU temperature reading, or non-PWM fans are connected.

I haven’t had much luck getting closed loop to behave so far on mine, but both manual and open loop settings seem to work as described.

1 Like

What’s open-loop vs closed-loop in terms of settings? I saw a few places for it, changed them but haven’t seen any difference.

Do I need to reboot the host?

I also tried setting them manually to a duty of 20, but nothing changed.

Open loop is the classic curve, where you set a speed for each temperature point. Closed loop focuses on maintaining a single target temperature, like an HVAC thermostat. No reboots needed, although the loop configurations make take up to a minute to take effect.

The simplest control for testing purposes is manual: under Fan Mode, check Manual for a Fan Control Mode, save that block, then just change Fan Duty number and save that block. It should take effect within 10 seconds.

Given what you’ve mentioned so far, there are a few things that could be wrong, but let’s start with the fans themselves: are we certain they’re PWM? What model(s) and how are they connected?

I saw in another post you acquired a 45Drives Storinator XL60, but the only fan-related specs I’ve been able to find posted are for the XL60 Turbo which says it ships with Dynatron DC fans. Which apparently might be customized with 4-pin connectors, because that isn’t confusing at all…

The Storinator I have has 3-pin fans, not 4-pin PWM ones.

Ok, as far as I’m aware this board doesn’t have any voltage control ability for DC fans, so no speed control with this combination.

That basically leaves either replacing the fans, or getting an independent hardware controller to manage these. I know controllers exist but they’re a little hard to find, and don’t have any particular recommendations there. For potential replacement fans I’d want to see what others recommend, as I’m not familiar with the chassis and that many drive bays may require more static pressure than the typical PC fan category.

Not sure myself, but I brought out one of my old fan speed controllers, and that knob isn’t changing anything.

I’m not sure how these fans work, but it appears as though the front fans use 2 power cables directly tied to the PSU, and then a 3rd-wire cable juts out for what looks like speed control. Just not sure where to plug that in.

Is there a DC to PWM converter?

You want to control it from the OS right?
Are you on Linux or Windows? There are some options… more and less creative.

I’m running Linux through TrueNAS SCALE.

In my case I split two types of machines. Ones that need a simple high/low mode and ones that really must have a PWM curve…

In the latter case I used the corsair fan controller. To configure it you can use opencorsairlink if you can get it working. Alternatively just configure the unit through a windows VM or dual boot to control based on the included thermocouples and it will remember the settings even when the software isn’t communicating with the OS.

If you just need a high and low mode rather than temp based curve, I just have two rails that turn on fans to high and switch them over SSH commands to the PDU. I run them with some automation tasks, and start a solve with the fans on high. You could just as easily write a script to do it based on sensor values and make it a service.

Hope that helps.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.