[solved] Apple Magic Keyboard in Linux

So a few days ago I posted a Q on “I want a 60% keyboard thats bluetooth, wat do”. Since then I’ve gotten an Apple Magic Keyboard (version one) and it happens to be brand new, still wrapped. Got it for 40 bucks so I think it was a good deal. Now, I want to use it with my Y40-70 (it has a failing keyboard) and unplug the keyboard that is built in, but I’m having problems.

The laptop itself is running Ubuntu 17.10, but I am willing to change systems if something else will work better (Arch, Fedora, ETC). I found this:

But its quite old… Not sure if its still good info? Seemed to work for that guy though.

Edit / Update: Looks like I need the newest version of bluez, which also means I need arch. Will install arch and let you guys know.

FOUND IT

Alright so Blueman now has a bruteforce script that was put in it at around the release of 15.10, maybe a little earlier than that, that forces a pair code to be broadcast from the device, then forces a connection. Its much faster than the last hour I have spent trying to hack the device and force it to connect by hand.

Fucking hell dude.

I am actually using the wired version of that keyboard and whenever ebay sends me a message about one I try to snag it.

1 Like

Yeah man. This one is a gen 1 so its from the GOLDEN age of lapse scissor switches juuuuuuuuust before the shitty modern island keyboards really started getting pumped out. Next we’ll see blister switches like what apple has now and what are used in nintendo DS’s and gameboys. These things tho?? Fucking GOLD.

I’m pretty sure I used the apple wireless keyboard with Arch some year ago, honestly I do have distribution amnesia so might have been some other distro. Did have to remap keys but after that it worked well.

Not sure if it helps…

Still using my Model M terminal 122 keyboard, and the only thing I’m really missing… Is an Esc key…
Haven’t really used an apple keyboard since the Apple IIgs.

I mean I could take a few minutes to map one but then I would miss one of my 22 extra keys bound to thing I don’t even need.

Multiple edits do to long night of rum and pool…

There, remmapped… But who knows what I’ll ever do without my Ctrl+Alt+Backtab button… :smile:

The Model M is really the opposite of these small Apple keyboards in pretty much every way possible. :laughing:

1 Like

Yeah, only really ever used cheap scissor switches so got no idea what those keyboards even feel like. The lack of a dedicated nav cluster would do me in though. I use the Home, Delete and Page Down button a lot.

You still have your page keys in the arrows, and FN+ delete is end / enter is home. For most people scissor switches are all the same. I MUCH MUCH prefer scissors over spring and mechanical though.