[SOLV-ERD] This is a doozy: i7-11700K bad iGPU behavior

I’ve just built a test machine with an MSI Z590 Unify and Intel i7-11700K. The parts were pretty cheap and I loves me a Unify board, so why not? It’s intended as a test machine and intended to only use the iGPU. Plus: homogenous cores for the Linux win! (Alder Lake is working fine with Linux as far as I can tell so this is actually a bit moot.)

So I put it all together - MSI motherboard, Intel CPU, 32GB G.Skill RipJaws 2133/3200 XMP DDR4 RAM (2 x 16), WD SN850X M.2 drives, Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280mm AIO (because Intel), Corsair RM750e PSU, and a Fractal Design case: no glass, no ARGB, no muss, no fuss - loaded Windows (11 - couldn’t get 10 going for reasons that will soon become clear) and a couple of flavors of Linux as is my wont, but mostly Debian 12: it’s pretty much set up to be a testbench for that.

I experienced quite a few problems getting OSs going: I’d get most or all of the way through an installation, only for the screen to blank out or the monitor to lose the HDMI signal from the onboard HDMI port and iGPU. Hmm… I swapped monitors - from UHD to QHD - and even the HDMI cable. The blanking behavior was eye-dentical (you have to imagine the lawyer from My Cousin Vinny saying that).

I pulled the RTX 3060 out of my i9-12900 build and stuck it in the Z590 motherboard, put the HDMI cable in it and everything ran fine - goes through hours of Cinebench, Prime95, FurMark, CPU-Z, etc. stress - with the Dell 4K monitor behaving perfectly.

But if I plug the HDMI cable back in the onboard HDMI port then the behavior with the screen blanking out and the monitor losing the HDMI signal returns.

So it’s a bad board or a bad CPU, obviously, right?

I got on the virtual blower to MSI tech support and went through several rounds, with videos, showing what was going on. The eventual prognosis: CPUs don’t usually fail that way, yeah it’s probably the board, try returning it to the retailer, and later: make a warranty request for the board (that last after i’d ordered another).

I ordered a replacement MSI Z590 Unify motherboard from one’s favorite online retail monopoly (one has not much choice, as with most things in the land of the free) and it arrived yesterday morning.

I put the CPU and cooler on the new motherboard, inserted one stick of RAM and hung a Samsung SSD off a SATA port: the most minimal bootable build I could make with the least changes to the board. The system wouldn’t even POST without a stick of RAM because of the iGPU - it failed at the VGA stage. I then proceeded to boot the machine and thence to install an operating system.

(I have to say: building a PC in a case which is fairly tight on space can be a pain in the derrière, but desconstructing said PC is a whole new realm of annoyance and aggravation. And swearing.)

And… It’s better, but the problem still persists! There’s no periodicity or duration of the screen blanking: it seems entirely random. The machine behaved itself for so long when I first installed Windows 10 - I first tried Debian 12 but it wouldn’t even boot - that I thought the introduction of a new motherboard had indeed fixed the problem. But nay. Nay! Thrice nay. (BTW, Debian 12 wouldn’t boot because of a infinite litany of Intel hardware incompatibility errors: I have to figure out what’s going on there; Fedora and Ubuntu Live installs would boot. Debian 12 was actually installed on the SSD. I then deleted it and installed Windows.)

I booted the machine from cold last night and immediately the screen was blanking out. I looked at the motherboard in its benchtest configuration and noticed that the Debug LEDs which double as a system temperature read-out once booted were showing 18. Celsius (the sensible - and economical (2 seven-segment LEDs instead of 3!) - temperature scale). Ok, it’s pretty chilly in the crib, but the Arctic Liquid Freezer 280mm AIO does a fantastic job: even under stress I’m not getting above 81C in HwInfo64. 81C for an Intel 11th Gen K SKU CPU! A minor miracle.

A random neutrino passed through my brain and a thought was released: it seems that the display misbehavior manifests itself more when the system is not being stressed or under load! In between amazingly annoying screen blank-outs, like trying to catch a glimpse of someone on the other side of a passing freight train, but with less regular intervals in the occasional windows of clarity, I managed to start Prime95. As soon as it was underway the system stabilized. I could use the machine simultaneously to surf the web and just let it run for hours without the screen blanking or losing HDMI signal anymore. Hallelujah? Possibly.

Then I had another brainwave (farts can be waves too, right?) Could it be that the RM750e PSU, a power supply chosen specifically because this was to be a relatively low power system, given that it has an Intel 11th Gen K SKU (at least it’s not the i9), but one that was intended to run without a graphics card, could it be that it wasn’t up to the task? Of providing the right amount of current or voltage to the CPU at low power to keep the iGPU running properly? So I cannibalized my poor i9-12900 build even more by excavating the Corsair RMX850 power supply out of it (it’s going to be a royal bugger getting that PSU back in the case, especially with the excellent job (even though I say it myself) of the cable management I’d achieved: that shiz was tight!).

Long story short: although seemingly improved, the problem still persisted.

(This is the point that I could use a virtual Buildzoid with a digital oscilloscope.)

So, over to your good selves; over to the wisdom of the Level1Tech crowd: what do you think is going on?

It seems like the problem is the CPU, right? We’ve definitively eliminated the MSI Unify motherboard from suspicion. Both Windows - 10 and 11 - and various flavors of Linux think that the machine has 2 GPUs when the 3060 is installed, and one when it’s only the CPU that’s present (obvs). The MSI tech support even said CPUs don’t typically fail in this way.

Have you seen or heard of this kind of behavior before? I searched the interwebs, naturally, but nada. It seems that this problem is sui generis. I’ve replaced everything, except for a stick of RAM, but I doubt that’s causing the problem. I could pull apart my 5950X machine and take a stick out of that but will putting an EXPO stick in an Intel board negatively affect it?! (I’m pretty sure it won’t.) I’m certain it’s not RAM, although the scientific method says I should remove that variable too.

It looks like I’m going to have to try and return the CPU and get another. But apart from this very individualistic behavior, the CPU is absolutely fine. I’m just worried that if it isn’t then the problems may metastasize. Specifically when it’s out of the return or warranty windows! What could possibly be going on, and is there anything else I could do to try and further investigate or eliminate possible reasons for the behavior? Particularly, is there anything in the BIOS settings that I could change? I mean, obviously, I shouldn’t have to: I’ve run through ALL the iGPU-related settings without materially changing the situation. The only things left are CPU OC settings - I’ve run tests with the memory in stock JEDEC and overclocked XMP states - and I doubt there’s anything there that could help. But who knows? (Not me, that’s for sure.) Maybe changing a CPU voltage or timing might suddenly make the iGPU work as well as the rest of the CPU and I wouldn’t have to go through the hassle of trying to justify to the seller why I think they need to take back the CPU.

Thanks for any help! (And for reading my spiel.)

Ah well, it seems like it’s just a bad CPU. Sad really because it runs great apart from that one issue - it’s been running maximal stress with all cores at 100% utilization for hours, with an ASUS RTX 3060 plugged in. A replacement i7-11700K should be arriving tomorrow. I’ll be discovering whether it really is the CPU, or whether I got two bad MSI Z590 Unify motherboards in succession!

I’m not sure why the i7-11700K got such a bad rap (“Waste of sand!” - Steve, GN). It’s a fine processor, just that AMD over-delivered on cores and made it look a bit of an also-ran in benchmarks.

I have to shoe-horn this Corsair RMX850 back in the i9-12900 build now.

(I suppose if I’m really unlucky I’ll be discovering I got two bad Intel CPUs in a row! Oy.)

Goldarn it! I have a replacement MSI Z590 Unify motherboard and a replacement Intel i7 11700K and the behavior is exactly the same!

The only conclusion I can draw: the i7 11700K doesn’t have the oomph to drive a Dell 4K 32" display. Or maybe it’s the board? I should try with an ASUS or Gigabyte, but I’m not spending any more tracking down this issue.

I could swear that I tried it with a Dell 27" QHD monitor (that I’m using right now) and it was exhibiting the same behavior. That was with the original motherboard and processor though, so maybe there’s something in it still.

Looks like either I don’t plug a 4K display into the iGPU on this system, or I have to stick a dGPU in it. 6600 XTs and 6650s are going fairly cheap these days.

I’m going to mark this as SOLVED, although my satisfaction level is hovering around an estimated 20%. <chummer>

“Did you say ‘solv-erd’?”
“Yes, I said ‘solved’.”

(Sellers, not as Lionel Mandrake, but as Inspector Clouseau)

You have a shitty cable, the Intel chip probably doesn’t have enough drive to tolerate the interference
Shitty cables run rampant in the industry, so it’s pretty hard not to get one, I believe cable matters store on Amazon hasn’t been prone to counterfeit or shitty cables

This is a huge problem for kvms

1 Like

I think you have a point. It’s something I’ve considered. I’ve tried a few cables; the most recent is a new Monster “Premium” UHD HDMI cable. However, every cable I’ve tried works with a 3050 or 3060 plugged into the system (I basically tested 2 of every component, including PSU). So there could be an issue of cable impedance and insufficient current in the HDMI out from the motherboard/CPU. My main monitor is 4K 32" but it’s only 60Hz. The same cable is working with a 27" QHD monitor. Unfortunately there’s only one HDMI port on the motherboard so I can’t test DP out. DP out works fine with a dGPU.

I did get Monster cables from Amazon so they could be suspect… But my original Monster HDMI cables came from a real-world store many years ago, so it’s possible but unlikely that they’re all bogus.

I’m just going to stick a dGPU in it - it was working great with one.

I may get a “certified ultra high speed” HDMI cable from Newegg, but I bet it’ll turn out to be the Dell monitor after all.

It would seem that it’s a combo of the MSI Z590 Unify motherboard and the i7-11700K. I really suspect the CPU.

My MSI Z690 Carbon/i9-12900 drives the monitor fine from the iGPU. True, the motherboard and CPU are a generation further on, but the Unify is a very good motherboard.

My MSI PRO X670-P/7950X drives the monitor fine too, inasmuch as the iGPU in the 7950X can drive anything “fine” (it’s not very good compared to 12th Gen Intel offerings although in my case it does seem to have the measure of an i7-11700K iGPU, but only as far as suspected power output goes).

Anyway, I’m sticking an RTX 3050 in the Unify/i7-11700K. It works great in that configuration. Or I could just use it with a 27" display which has been working fine also.

For some unknown reason, low-end Radeon GPUs shot up in price the past couple of days. I was going to stick in a 6600XT or a 6650 but they’re more expensive than 3050s now. Last Thursday or Friday they were cheaper. Must be AI: Amazon Inducement.

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.