Solid mobo + RAM for R 1700?

Even if the low RAM speeds turn out to a hindrance (well, I've been using 1600MHz CL9 until now with an i3), Wendell has this nice video about improving performance and he also used a Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 2400MHz kit.

But for now I just want it to work and be stable as a whole.
Next on the list: new case and aftermarket CPU cooler.

Yeah memory clock speeds does improve the cpu performance on Ryzen.
Because of the way that the infinity fabric is designed.
But how much of an improvement it will be in the real world, really depends on the specific workloads.
And as far as gaming is concerned, well that highly depends on the particular graphics card you gonne use, and at what resolution and settings you aim to game at.

I mean with just casual 1080p gaming with a midrange card like a RX580 or GTX1060.
then memory speeds will have less of an impact on overall gaming performance.
As if you woud use a highend GTX1080-Ti on 1080p gaming for example for the high fps gamers.

Well i guess you get the idea.

As far as productivity workloads go, so far I'm only transcoding my ripped movies (h264, blurays and dvds). 2-2.5h for a bluray transcode is quite long and I can't do shit during that time, all the performance goes towards that task.

For gaming I'm using an RX 480 8GB and only play at 1080p and 60Hz (that's what my monitors support, not that I can get constant 60fps all the time), but use dual-monitors for watching vids and browse the web on the side.

Should be all fine. :slight_smile:

Not sure if you're referring to features or VRMs in that list, but the GB K7 and GB 5 are the same board except for the B-clock generator. Hence why I'm not sure why you separate then in high and mid there.
Should probably be noted on there since it's quoted quite often.

Thats basiclly why i list the Aorus X370 Gaming 5 as midrange.
Because it misses out on some feutures that the higherend model the Gaming K7 does have.
The list is basiclly based on the motherboard overall, which means feutures and vrm implementations.
But the vrm implementations are definitelly one of the main things i look at.

Is this b-clock generator the only difference?

btw, got the system together. Windows 10 installation took a while and then it reported only half of the memory usable in the system properties while in the BIOS it showed both sticks and 16GB.

Not sure if putting them in the other two slots fixed or the reboot.
And not sure if 1197.1MHz is correct for my RAM. It's dual-channel but Single Rank.

The B-clock generator is one of the main differences yes,
as far as overclocking is concerned.

This means that your current effective memory speed is 2400mhz.
Because its Double data rate. (DDR)

The memory usable thing is something with Windows10.
Could be various things, not hardware related.

Wait, what? DDR does not stand for DanceDanceRevolution? O.o

While I was wondering about it a quick search online showed it happening for people in WIn7 too. Various reasons.
Still, caused unnecessary stress....in addition to the Windows Media Creation Tool being utter shite and MS being morons for their stupid "Linux users can download the iso file, Windows users only get the Media Creation Tool" bs. Finally glad I have Fedora on my laptop and downloaded the iso file yesterday cause today it always showed errors when I tried downloading it.

Yeah i had a similar issue on windows7 too.
In my case it was an easy fix, just to uncheck the max memory at startup feuture in msconfig, and reboot.

Might also be worth checking on Windows10 maybe idk.
I dont really toutch Windows10 with a 10 foot spoon.

I'm just glad it's running stable for now (knocking on wood, so nothing happens).

I'm not happy using it either....

btw, having the Win10 installation freeze all the time (Rufus and the Win10 iso fixed that) I spent quite a while in the BIOS. Does the Gaming 5 really not have an option to update the BIOS from within without having to download the update and put it on a thumb drive? This really seems odd to me. iirc even my Asrock H87 Pro4 could do that.

Yes, that and the color scheme. The rest of the board is identical in features, the BIOS also as far as I've seen (though I can not compare).

next time just change your user-agent in whatever browser you're using :wink:

I suppose that it should be possible to download and update the bios from within the UEFI.
Atl;east most boards should be able to do this.

Q-Flash deminds a "disk drive" (thumb drive works too) and as far as I've seen that's the only option within the BIOS.

Even explained like this from Gigabyte:

Caution
Before using Q-Flash utility, go to GIGABYTE website to download the latest compressed BIOS update file that matches your motherboard model. Extract the file and save the new BIOS file to your floppy disk, USB flash drive, or hard drive. And be noted that the USB flash drive or hard drive must use FAT32/16/12 file system.

@mihawk90 when you comapre the Gaming 5 and Gaming K7 on Gigabyte's website they are exactly the same from the specs that are provided. Only difference is a bit of text on the K7 side explaining that due to some 32bit OS restriction something something RAM capacity.

Yeah that's in the manual as well, but that applies to all motherboards since it is an OS restriction, not a motherboard restriction.

For whatever reason Gigabyte decided to not advertise that B-Clock generator which is why at first thought it really is just the color scheme...

Would be interesting to see if the Gaming K7 sells significantly less than the Gaming 5/K5 because of this lack of feature-advertisment.

Seriously, how should someone like me know what the actual difference is? I'd read the specs and features, compare them and come to the conclusion that they are the same except for the colors and the price.

The K5 is a totally different board vrm wise.

Yeah same for me but I thought for 50€ difference there must be something to it... took me weeks to figure it out... Only recently I actually compared the both PCBs and you can clearly see the additional chip (bottom left of the socket), but even then it's not like it says B-Clock generator.

And as mentioned, the K5 is completely different in VRM and feature set. It does have a B-Clock generator too though.

Not as good?

@mihawk90 Same with the 5 and K5. Comparing them with the (very limited) spec sheets on pcpartpicker.com, they only differ in the 5 having a 2nd LAN port and u.2 (the latter is pretty useless, though). And the 5 is ~50€ cheaper.

Nope. :slight_smile:

Its kinda confusing but the Aorus X370 Gaming 5 and K7 have the same vrm components and layout.
But the Aorus X370 Gaming K5 has a different implementation and layout.