Solid mobo + RAM for R 1700?

Would be interesting what their decisionmaking for this was. Especially with the naming.

You'd need to compare the manuals to find the difference (something that doesn't work for the 5 vs. K7 by the way since both are nearly identical). The K5 is missing 3 fan headers, has no temperature sensor headers, only 1 audio codec (but who needs a second anyway), no diagnostic LED, no Killer NIC (whoever uses that anyway) and no U.2 (which imo is not necessarily useless, the drives are just way too pricey compared to even M.2 SSDs).

But yeah, the name is totally confusing. The 5 should be the 7, because if there is a 7 coming (who know) it'll be completely different from the K7 too...

Surprisingly, what bothers me almost the most is that AMD designed the Wraith Spire cooler in a way that mounting it on this motherboard results in the AMD logo being sideways....

And that the cooler's LED cable is way too long (notice how I had to fold it a couple of times and tie it together).

Also, due to the location of the 8pin connector and the very little space above the mobo I had to remove the top 140mm fan entirely.

Probably gonna get the H440 this year so I can add more HDDs and have more options for cooling. Only concern I have is the overall airflow in the case.

isnt it possible to turn that ring, or fan maybe?
I personally really like the design of Wraith spire cooler.
And its also not a bad cooler either for a stock one.

uhm...I don't think that's possible. at least it was solid enough to not move when I handled it.

1 Like

I got the board back today. Been installing Fedora 26 and Windows 10 for a few games duel boot. I have NFI why the board would not update bios the first two times but the store I bought it from fucked me over royally and made me wait 2 months to get it back from repair.

All I can think of was possibly a PSU problem not flashing the new image correctly. From memory wiping and burning a new image is done by higher power. The UEFI reported it had successfully updated and was rebooting to non flashed bios and brick. My guess only.

I made the shop update the board to the current 0805 bios and I bought a new 750W PSU just for good measure. ASUS is normally good and it is a cheap X370 board compaired to MSI and Asrock.

As I've only done the basic turn UEFI setting TPU to II which it seems from some googling as a asus overclock to 3.75GHz with a few power tweaks (using wraith cooler at the moment). But have not had time to really use the board other then 30mins of Xcom2 and OS installing and Patching.

2 Likes

Finally! Holy shit, that took for fucking ever. Hope it all works out now.

Good to hear. Did they tell you why it took them 2 months to give it back to you?

The whole saga has been 2 months and I held off updating the 2nd board for over a week till I knew it was stable and not crashing. Then I tried the update again with the same result. After the second board the shop tried to blame me for breaking the board and I got a little angry at them.

I will not be updating this one. It got IOMMU groups set now so I will play with that some time in the future.

1 Like