? software that will decode & encode H265/HEVC on a 6650 xt gpu on linux

what app/software will use a 6650 xt gpu an do H265/HEVC decode an encode for video files like mkv , mp4 , mov , & m4v on linux

i want to run either Ubuntu 23.10 with the xanmod kernel for said H265/HEVC decode an encode software
or
truenas core with a apk or docker for said H265/HEVC decode an encode software

this is my render rig setup
rig

the 2nd nvme is for all temp files an renders , with the twin 2.5in 2tb ssd’s in a raid 0 config for mass temp storage
before offload to my 12tb nas vi the usb c port

perferabley after all compressions an renders to the temp mass storage id like some way to automate the files to be backed up to the main 12tb nas an the auto delete the originals from the temp mass storage

is this possible with either Ubuntu 23.10 or truenas core an if so is ther a good step by step guild to doing so ?

As far as I am aware AMD VCE requires the AMD-Pro drivers and software that supports VCE. The drivers themselves have requirements to the os → they run only on certain versions of Linux. I’m not quite sure what you want to achive, but transcoding on a cpu usually results in a better quality to size ratio than transcoding on your gpu at the cost of speed.

1 Like

https://handbrake.fr/docs/en/1.2.0/get-handbrake/download-and-install.html

my os for my render/file server will either be ubuntu 23.10 or truenas core
as for my reasons ,this rig will handle all file conversion an compression

to UN-monopolize my main workstations workload
when performing any file conversion an compression

an while i know that a cpu will usually results in a better quality to size ratio
i dont want to do trans-coding i want to use what ever app/software will use my

6650 xt gpu to do H265/HEVC decode an encode for faster file ripping,
conversion an compression of video files like mkv , mp4 , mov , & m4v

mainly from both old an new 4k & bd discs some already stored on my nas
an some iv yet to rip with my external bd drive

Which requires VCE, which requires amd pro gpu drivers… If you want to use hardware encode for movie transcode get a nvidia card. Their encoder is better and their drivers dont require specific linux versions.

1 Like

You’re looking for TDARR, it’s an excellent software for automating encoding of large collection of video files. I’ve personally used it with my 7900xtx. FFmpeg+vaapi works for hevc encoding.

1 Like