So what's Intel's Secret?

That’s ok, but cpu bound soft-realtime server software (most internet service companies running big clusters of machines) can run at higher utilizations with more parallelism availability. That’s because soft-realtime implies you’re always leaving cores starved so you can target your tail latency limit, the more cores you have to be able to bounce your workload around, the less you have to keep starved/unutilized.

By all means, stick many of these bigger chiplets in one socket and let them communicate with the outside world through old tech, but these single digit threads/request apps are old news in server software.

SenseMI
Maybe AMD does not ship tables arround at all?

The only thing that is higher-ish latency is L3 (on Rome). Inter core latency is a thing that can be worked arround with NUMA-aware scheduling.

Agreed, or a slight IPC uplift.

8 cores per 75mm² is not enough?

Waste. On 128 cores, maybe sensible, for 64 definetly not.

We only now see PCIe Gen4. PCIe Gen5 will be finalized this year (maybe). I think AMD having their homebrew infinity fabric is enough.

2 Likes

What’s that all about?

And wait, so ZEN 2 is NOT 7nm?! They’re BSing about that? Sounds exciting…Would hate for it to all be a lie. First single-digit die sizes.

I hope AMD keep pushing and pushing. My dream CPU from Intel would be:

• single digit die size
  • 12 Cores, multithreaded
  • 4GHz base frequency
  • sips under 100W power. Around the 60-80W mark.

I reckon they’ll get there in 4ish years.

12 posts were merged into an existing topic: Intel and their dirty hands dirtying the competion

The Intel created compiler would check if someone wasn’t using an intel cpu and add a bunch of extra calls and tanked performance.

My code is a satire of that. Basically, its a for loop that just loops to one million and then continues.

The chiplets are all of the processor core logic. It’s the important bit that does all the hard stuff, the associated SRAM that the cores need to operate efficiently, and PCI-E. The I/O die is exactly that; I/O. It’s kinda like what the northbridge used to be, but very close proximity and significantly higher throughput.

By making chiplets AMD is able to reduce all the densest logic down to 7nm and utilize all the advantages that entails while also leaving out all the parts that generally do not scale down with each process shift, such as the DDR PHYs, serial hosts, infinity fabric interconnects, etc.

Similar to how the MCH/ICH weren’t included in figuring die size during the P4/Core 2 era of Intel parts, the I/O die wouldn’t be counted for Zen2.

1 Like

Maybe, whatever they’re doing is missing way more often than a typical skylake. (Could be they need to make the first NN layer bigger).

It doesn’t help with scatter gather type workloads, where by definition your data/code is not local.

Look at all the wasted empty green space :), no reason for chiplets to be that tiny in all cases.

They charge more money.

1 Like

There is literally every reason for chiplets to be that tiny, as explained above. More chips per wafer, less defective silicon, better binning. With the lack of the I/O logic they can afford to make them that small.

Also you’re assuming “empty” space on the package. That entire package is filled with layers of interconnects and vias, I’d like to see your brilliant design plan for such a complex MCM.

2 Likes