So no SLI on Gtx 1060, does anyone care?

Not to mention removing the choice when it wasn't really expensive to implement in the first place. It wasn't to cut costs like when AMD went with a 6-pin connector and the whole 4 GB is 8 thing (which isn't bad at all). I think AMD is overdoing it with Crossfire obsession (especially if the rumors about the RX 490 are true), but it's worse that NVidia takes away the option and restricts it even on their higher cards (although that's a non-issue, 3-way SLI is not worth)

1 Like

My view is that 2-way on *60 series cards wasn't worth it which is why its a non-issue to me. I get what everyone is saying with choice, but I think that leaving the choice there for a low end card has enabled non-informed people to buy something that for low end cards is not worth the headache over a single higher tier card.

1 Like

Meh, I think it may be worth since 2-Way 1060 could keep up well with a 1080 at a lower cost, it was kind of why 970 SLI was heavily favored over a 980 and even the 980 Ti to a lower extent.

I don't think 2-Way is necessarily bad, I am contemplating myself on the R7 360 on what APU I can crossfire with (7870K or 7890K) and if it's worth.

To each their own I guess, nothing wrong with buying a single more powerful card regardless, won't have to deal with the issues SLI/Crossfire has.

1 Like

True... I am happy, that:

That is my issue with Nvidia... Performance wise they are better. No doubt. But pricing and those things, that are honestly false advertising... And now this. They keep taking the choise away from the consumer. And the consumer may choose different.

True, and 2 way Gtx 1070 is still supported.

2 Way isn't bad, especially for a cheap way to get a lot more out of a fading APU rig. But, when we're talking about a $250 gfx card, there are better options.

Dude everyone has been saying that since the 970 VRam thing and even some before that, and it hasn't slowed Nvidia's market growth too any noticeable difference. I don't think this or anything that's happened with the 1000 series has been bigger than the Vram issue, and even after the Vram issue the 970 grew to have the biggest share of the AMD/Nvidia gfx cards on the steam hardware survey. The consumer can choose but nothing Nvidia has done has made the consumer stop buying Nvidia cards.

1 Like

Damn, just realized that Crossfiring even the iGPU of the AMD A10 7890K with the R7 360 may not be any benefit over a stand alone R7 360. Man, was hoping to salvage a little extra GPU horsepower, but I may as well get an Athlon 880K or Pentium G3258

Are you seriously considering a dual core?

As @psycho_666 said, quad cores should be the minimum you look at. Dual core parts have no place in a gaming machine and have not for a long time. Some games will not even run on a dual core without some fiddling to bypass the checks. Far Cry 4 is the best example, in which the game will refuse to start until game code has been modified by the user to force the game to launch on a dual core cpu. I3's also are a no go, as some games do not qualify the hyperthread of a core as valid to get a game to launch on a dual core. Going back as far as Battlefield 3, where the game would downgrade certain aspects by default if a I3 or other true dual core was in the system.

Meh, this is a side build, I probably won't be running anything new, plus, Dolphin emulation. I think I can get away with the Athlon X4 880K anyways, maybe an overclock ought to do it, if I can get enough performance for Gamecube Emulation out of an i5 4300U, I could probably do fine with the Athlon X4 880K, my attempt to sell the GPU failed, so I am doing a mini-build to deal with that so my family has a better system to use.

Who knows, I might be able to eventually replace that hardware with Zen + an RX 470 (or 460). I was just hoping I could go for the A10 7890K and CF the iGPU with the R7 360, but I may not get a performance benefit AT ALL nevermind a substantial one so that may be out of the question. And since this is gonna be a Mini-ITX build, the FX CPUs are out of the question too.

ohh dolphin is actually one of the few exceptions because it is very single core performance optimized, so you would actually probably be better off using the pentium in this one use case. AMD still lacks behind Intel in terms of per core performance, so this is the one use where a pentium is justifiable over the athlon.

Yeah, I think I will go Pentium G3258, and then swap that stuff (Motherboard too) out when Zen comes in (if that ain't sufficient, then I may just simply get a Haswell i5, since it would save me from replacing the Mobo) hopefully Mini-ITX is an option, otherwise the case goes too. Will also maybe replace the R7 360 with the RX 470.

Oh, make an Elite 110 build, please :D

Hmm, I might consider the option, that was high on my list of case choices after all, was thinking of this case though http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811163275&cm_re=mini_itx_case-_-11-163-275-_-Product

But your case may have better airflow. Plus, why not save a whopping $1? I will pick that case, I went with the Pentium G3258 (which I will replace with either a Haswell i5, or an AMD Zen CPU that I am anticipating.), keep the stock cooler (besides, the Hyper 212 EVO was a huge pain in the ass to install, and I still fear it may not be in correctly, even though it works), not huge on overclocking.

Picking storage is gonna be tough choice, will probably go with a 240 GB SSD from A-Data, may hold off on the HDD (but then again, I held off from an HDD on my main machine for months already).

GPU is already picked out a while ago (not for this purpose).

Power Supply is gonna be tough, I don't wanna just get a cheap one and suddenly replace it, 80+ EVGA 430W may be a bit too low in quality, so I may go for something that's rated 80+ Bronze.

Keep in mind, this CM case is unbelievably tiny... So it may be really bad for cable management and what not...
Also check this one...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811133260&cm_re=core_v1-_-11-133-260-_-Product
It's a bit larger, but what the hell...

Well, the GPU is tiny fortunately (only 1 fan). So I could swing either way really. I guess it saves money to have some place holders for a new system when new parts come out while they still have a decent machine. Although personally, I am satisfied with my 5820K/R9 390, but going from Intel HD graphics, we can see why. Too bad I picked a shitty Thermaltake computer case, and a mediocre LED fans on my first build, at least my guts are good.

What would a good PSU be for this build? Might wait until after my next paycheck (next week) to make sure I don't go broke after this build.

Oh, I change my mind on the case, I think it would be wise to go mATX than mITX for reasons. Would this case be good? https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CUZP0SU/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Single quality GPU generally still better than SLI or Xfire setup...

I have trouble seeing the merits of 2 or more graphics cards for a gaming rig right now, I tried this out a few years ago with an Xfire setup on 2 Radeon 4850's I did not notice a massive bump in frames in games at that time but I did notice a little extra heat from the machine..

Now many years later I notice the whole scene around SLI and Xfire configs has not changed that much, The value proposition in buying 2 cards to outperform 1 higher card does not make sense either since often enough 2 cards will cost either the same or slightly more than a higher end card.

I know AMD is trying to curb the trend here by saying 2x 480 will outperform a 1080 or something like that, but if I were looking at this whole SLI argument from a buyer perspective then someone who is buying a $200 gpu is not wanting to spend a lot of money!

With this reason in mind someone buying a 1060 is probably only after a good quality cheaper gpu, its sort of the same with the RX480 anyone in that price demographic is not looking to go balls deep on the expense of multi-gpus. The verdict still stands that performance of 2 GPU's is nothing that remarkable in any type of setup thats cos most games are not optimized for them.

SO 1060 no SLI... really does not matter at all I think

Why SLI or Xfire... Cos it is sexy eye candy to see monster GPU packed rigs at E3 and any other expo, so far I personally feel the whole multi gpu thing is just one of those 'bragging rights' kinda situations.. The normal gamer, they will probably be much wiser and just buy a single 1070 or 1080 and be like pro in games...

If someone with a budget had a build with a 1060, sli would be nice for if they want a bit more power later on but cant scrape together more than 80 bucks or whatever it costs in a year or two. A second card would be a good upgrade for someone who cant afford to buy a new one when they only need 10-15 more fps on 1080p

So Marten something I'd like to bring up to you is that while DX12 does allow for this it is actually up to the individual game developers to implement it and or the middleware engine makers to implement it in their engines (and then the developers to make use of it), Much of the added benefits from DX12 are down to the fact that it is a lower level API much like vulkan (and mantle before these two). Lower Level APIs tend to put more of the onus for optimizations and features used per game on the developers more so, but they can also get out more performance as a result. This isn't just Nvidia and AMD sitting there going "we won't support it" it isn't something they can just go out and be like ahahahahha we are going to hold back shit to try and make more money.

I'm not sure you are aware of just how DirectX 12 and vulkan fundamentally work and are equating them to how openGL and directX 11 currently work instead of how they actually work. Both DX12 and Vulkan are very very very much down to the developers to implement certain things. Direct X 12 allows multiple cards from multiple manufacturers with no need for a bridge. If a game implemented that and you had 2 1060s it wouldn't fundamentally matter because the system implemented actually works quite a bit differently than SLI or Crossfire in that it fully makes use of any graphics cards in the system and that includes their memory. SLI and crossfire only make use of the extra processing cores and don't use the combined memory of both cards at all.

Yes that is all true, but it is not likely that DX12 will be across the board in every game during the 1060's life span, and even then some of the multi-gpu implementations rely on the developer to implement it, so even in DX12 games it is not guaranteed. So, during the lifespan of the 1060 some games, not all games, will have DX12 multi-gpu support, and with Nvidia not supporting traditional Sli, I think it unlikely people will buy multiple 1060's. DX12 will not be across the board supported, even in DX12 titles multi-gpu support may not be implemented, and Nvidia is not endorsing it. I doubt that DX12 and multi-gpu modes in DX12 will be the majority of games until very late into the 1060's period of relevancy.

Why is it saying on NCIX that certain GTX 1060s support SLI? Misleading if nothing has changed.