So i'm trying to use Steam Play from a 4k Dummy switch to a QHD Widescreen monitor

“So i’m trying to use Steam Play from a 4k Dummy switch to a QHD Widescreen monitor…”
As the title implies, this isn’t working. If i try to use anything to specifically manually set windows to 3440x1440, it just doesn’t work. I don’t even have a real monitor plugged in, and i wish i could tell windows that.
The goal is to stream the game from a dedicated windows 10 box to my personal linux box. But games like Sins or other widescreen compatible games just freaks out.
If there is no solution, I wondering if it’d just be easier to kvm a windows installation but that’d require me buying a new HDD.

I am confused here. You are trying to use Steam Play to remotely play content from a steam box to another machine correct?

What does the switch have to do with anything? If you are saying that you are running a headless system and you have a dummy plug on your video card on the headless machine to think a monitor is plugged in, then it does not matter what the resolution is. Steam play will mux the video down or up to fit the resolution of the target box.

If the wide screen games are not not properly rending on the headless machine because they are not compatible with that resolution, then that is a different animal that is going to be on the steam side of the house.

If I am missing something here, please fill in the gaps.

Apologies, I called it a switch when it wasn’t one. It’s a 4K dummy HDMI adapter. I’ll post the Amazon link below for what it is. The problem i’m having is I’m trying to stream from this 4K HDMI setting to my QHD 2k Widescreen Monitor, but I can’t get the resolutions to be correct. I have it set in Steam to auto adjust, but it just adds black bars.

I know the games themselves support the resolution, but even if i tried to manually set the resolution i want in the AMD control panel, it doesn’t allow it for some reason.

" HDMI Dummy Plug,Headless Ghost, Display Emulator (Fit Headless-1920x1080 New Generation@60Hz)" - I can’t include links, so here is the title of the adapter i have.

Afaik if the monitors resolutions don’t match you’ll end up with the black bars.

The only work around might be to run the game in windowed mode with the same aspect ratio as the remote monitor.

Then when you full screen it remotely, it shouldn’t need the black bars

2 Likes

Check the EDID information, if it doesn’t have the res you want (and you can’t force it in the drivers under “unsupported resolution”)

Then you have to rewrite the (SPi?) Eeprom chip with something you want.

Those dummy plugs are just an ID chip like your real display would have, there was in the past a way to rewrite those chips with a utility, maybe even dd

This guy uses a CH341A which is kinda the nuclear option :laughing:, can’t say I disagree either. Personally I’d try RWEverything first.

If the pins are exposed you could always use an HDMI breakout board. And maybe RasPi has the ability to re-write EDID at last resort.

Summary

Utility:
GitHub - bulletmark/edid-rw: A utility to read and write a display EDID value.

Windows Utility:
http://rweverything.com/

I could only suggest you try Custom Resolution Utility to “rewrite” the edid of the 4k dummy adaptor so that it only has 3440×1440 available. It doea not actually rewrite the plug, just makes windows reference a software defined edid for the monitor instead of its own info. As in if yountake that monitor to another machine the custom resolution will nit be there, it stays with windows.

Though as you have found, trying to display an 21:9 aspect ratio picture on a 16:9 monitor will result in black bars top and bottom.

The closest 2k 16:9 resolution is 2560×1440.