So I got an Amiga

I’m half excited because upgrade parts that are era correct are going to be a pain in the dick to find. But I can get a Gotek and maybe the IBM PC card. Possibly a hard drive and AOS 3 since it has a 68020.

I can imagine.
I hope you are planning to keep the A2000 so you can put back to original at any time.

There are plenty of hardcore Amiga sites out there that may have parts trade links. I saw one cool setup where a guy on YouTube had a A2000 with a modern CPU on a card running the latest AmigaDOS (colanto?). It looked like AmigaDOS v5 w/ Linux graphics, running AmigaDOS v3 in a VM. But it wasn’t a VM, all the original Amiga was doing was I/O and the 68000 CPU was there for classic gaming.

Oh fuck yeah dude. Theres modern expansion cards to run amigaOS 4 with the 68000 doing layover so instead of doing emulators you run a normal app the normal way.

People tell me classic computing is stupid. Sure, yeah.

1 Like

My niece was throwing away her Black Eyed-Peas CD. "That’s so 10 years ago."
That’s when you were in high school and every time you hear BEP you’re gonna remember your friends.
And I took it.

Same with games. I used an Amiga emulator to revisit some of my old games.
I had a great time, but eventually Desert Strike was the only reason I still had the emulator.

Here is idea I failed to finish. There is a video of a guy that modded a floppy to hold a SD card and modded a “floppy drive” to read it. I made a floppy drive with the PC’s on button was pressed by the disk. Inserting a boot disk turned on the PC.

2 Likes

Hmmm.

Seems amiga on the lake is my best shot. I can get the 3.1 kickstart chip there for 15 bucks. Not a bad deal.

http://amigaonthelake.com/kickstart-rom-for-amiga-a500-a500-plus-a600-a2000/

Edit: Oh you mean one of these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gotek-ADF-Floppy-Drive-Emulator-8GB-USB-Stick-for-Amiga-500-600-1200-4000-/301976968423?autorefresh=true&autorefresh=true

nope.

I meant one of these and the floppy drive modded to hold a card reader inside of it

Floppy SD card

Ohhhh yeah I’ve seen those. I’d rather have a hard drive in it.

I got a bunch of these with DOS 6.*** and a manual 3" thick to go with them.

1 Like

Looks like you got a great deal to me, I’m jealous. Personally I would skip a HDD in favour of a SCSI to MicroSD adapter with a 4GB card holding Workbench 3.1 and a stack load of games. On the flip side if you run this in a proper 1990’s configuration you can always emulate to play games off your PC.

Please keep this blog updated :slight_smile:

EDIT: If you struggle to find hardware check out www.amigakit.com and www.amibay.com

Trust me I will. Theres a sister thread on my amiga disk recovery stuff. Please chech my other topics on my profile for more information.

As for games, I want to run them, but off of an actual floppy. I like originality. I’ll have a gotek for that stuff anyways. It’ll bea lot more fun for me to write stuff for dual or triple boot off of a hard drive anyway (I have many plans ;3).

Seems the forum is going back to normal. This is nice.

1 Like

Came across this and thought of ya
Had info on using modern flash drives in ISA 8-bit MB’s and saw some amiga stuff, thought it might help

3 Likes