So about that KB cleaning.
Never done it before so I googled and followed what it said for some things and then pretty much made up the rest as I went along. I have no clue if any of this is the correct way to do such things, but there are keys on the board working now that didn’t before so I did something right.
So here is the disgusting thing.
That doesn’t look too bad, right? Well its a spring KB and some of the keys were… gummy, lets say. T and space were so fucked that they didn’t even work.
At some point this thing was in like a kitchen or something. It smelled like it had been.
All the keys had this weird grime around them and it had started to make the backboard rust. Ew.
I had read online that using a bowl and chucking in the keys on your board and soaking them a bit in soapy water would help really get the shit off them. I don’t have the patience to scrub each one individually so I just chucked them in and used soap with some lemon oil in it to cut into the surface of the plastic some, and then mixed the whole thing in my hands.
Avoiding the messy living room, I threw the now clean keys in a towel, made a sack, and shook it up some and let it sit, kneading it every few minutes. Seemed to work fine.
Now the thing that took for fucking ever.
Before you bitch, thats not recent oil. Thats an ancient oil stain and that rag has been used for years and washed 5 billion times. Its fine.
So I tried to just half ass and wipe in between the keys because I didn’t think I had a spare toothbrush. The only one I use with alchohol I use to scrub processor lids clean. Not using that shit. But, I found a new one in a drawer.
After about an hour of tedious bullshit, and halfway through another episode of the triforce podcast, I had done it! For the most part, the backboard was clean.
Now I have never seen a buckling spring keyboard before, nor do I know if this is how they all are, but these contacts needed to be cleaned so the keys could function. So I attacked each of them with the brush and the carriages with the rag. Tada!
Getting the keys back on was a pain in the dick. Had to get an image but thinking back now I coulda used my own pictures. Oh well. Heres the one I used.
So after another half hour , and the start of another podcast episode, the keys were on and the screws back in! Lets test!
Hooray! It works! T works! SPACE WORKS! I’m happy.
Looks hella sharp now too, so thats good.
Next I need to learn how to write amiga floppies! (or buy a gotek but thats no fun…)