So I bought a 2nd hand PC and It gets really hot

After 4 years of Ryzen 1700 and GTX1080. I got myself a new setup. Its 2nd hand but it’s great and got it for a really good price.

CPU: RYZEN 5900X
Motherboard: ROG Crosshair VIII Impact
GPU: ASUS RTX 3090 TUF
Ram: 32 GB Hyperx 3600mhz
Storage: m.2 Samsung 970EVO 1TB
PSU: Coolermaster V850 SFX GOLD
AIO: EK 360 AIO
Fans: 3 x EK AIO fans
Case: Jonsbo Jonsplus i100

This thing is a beaut and I only got it for $1400 (I consider it a very good purchase)

But the thing it gets hot, like really hot.
CPU
This was when I was downloading some games over steam and editing videos on Premiere Pro at the same time. It has gotten to a point where It even shut down, I think due to overheating not sure though because I didn’t see any bluescreen.

So I guess I’m asking for tips and suggestions on how to lower the temperature. Because I’m guessing that this temp is not normal?
The CPU idles around 60c and gets up 65c just by using the browser.

Should I add more fans? like 3 more intake fans since I have none at the moment. Maybe change the thermal paste?

EDIT: In my current setup my PC is under my desk. Will it make any difference temp-wise if I were to put it on my desk instead?

Any advice and suggestions are very much appreciated.

Couple of things I see.

This looks to be a convection tower case. No side fans, cool air comes in the bottom (I think that’s a mesh I see on the case bottom) and is vented from the top by the fans on a AIO rad for the CPU. GPU is air cooled. Correct?

Does the GPU vent out the back of the case or into the case? Is that GPU original, or an upgrade?

It looks like your Power Supply inlet is on the side of the unit but I don’t see a vent out of the case. (? - hard to see, but pic 23-12-46 appears to show that.) Is the PS outlet to the case rear, the top, or otherwise venting into the case? If so, add the GPU and that’s a lot of BTU soaking the CPU and mobo.

5900X was released in Nov 2020 so that’s three years old. What I would do:

• Take it outside and blow the insides out with pressurized air. It looks pretty good already, but clean it out as best as you can. Dust build up in the rad can retain a lot of heat.

• Can you purge and replace the coolant in the AIO? Check the old coolant for issues. Grit, smell, anything obviously off. EK has decent coolant (assuming that has not been replaced with a third party product already), but maintenance is seldom done on AIO. Talk to EK support first and see what they recommend.

• While doing that, check the AIO CPU plate and replace the thermal paste. I use Kryonaut as it gives me the best results. 1-4 C lower temps than others I’ve used. Still, your temps indicate more than just that as the issue. I suspect a series of things adding up.

• Any rad damage? Bent fins, compressed flow pipes? It maybe a low coolant level. Possibly a slow leak that was never seen.

• Raise the unit up another inch or so to give more space for air to get into the case.

My gut tells me the PS and GPU are venting into the case. That 3090 TUF gaming card is putting out way more heat than it can handle. To keep the air flowing, you can add three 120mm fans (That’s what they look like, confirm before buying) into the case bottom to push cooler air in and force more through overall. That gives you a push - pull config.

In my last build, I used BeQuiet Silent Wings 4 120mm and you can’t hear when they are on most of the time. You may want to replace the three AIO fans with higher air flow ones as well.

Again, lots of questions in my mind, but that should get you started.

3 Likes

Second this, and make sure the AIO fans are in the exhaust orientation. This alone will most likely solve the problem.

ETA: On second glance, one of the CCDs is hitting way higher peak temps than the other, which usually indicates an uneven cooler mount or thermal paste application. So I would also second @shadragon’s advice to take off the block, clean it, re-paste it, and re-mount it.

3 Likes

The middle fan, It’s not mounted opposite the others, is it?

The zig zag pattern on OP’s fan sides is more pleasing, and it may be the the side with the EK symbol has the “triangle” pointed the other way than the non-EK sides.

3 extra fans in the bottom as inlet could help.

It’s odd not to see any cooling on the actual CPU area, as there are VRM’s and ram and stuff that gets hot.
I don’t suppose there is a fan in the “back” panel that points around the CPU area?

1 Like

Let’s start with the basics. Due to easy access as shown in the second image, I would change the thermal paste and compare the before and after results. If the problem is still occurring then, maybe try to under-volt the CPU within the BIOS. Also, I would add intakes in the bottom of the chassis for positive pressure to assist the heat to rise from the case. Make sure that the fan blades are facing toward you as Trooper_ish has presented above.

As a recommendation: the thermal paste that I use on my systems are:

Kingpin Thermal Paste: https://www.amazon.com/Kingpin-Cooling-Performance-Thermal-Compound/dp/B07XD3L2TR/ref=sr_1_5?keywords=kpx+thermal+paste&qid=1672943126&s=electronics&sprefix=kpx%2Celectronics%2C95&sr=1-5

Noctua Thermal Paste: https://www.amazon.com/Noctua-NT-H2-Thermal-Cleaning-Performance/dp/B07MZ45X9G/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?keywords=noctua+thermal+paste&qid=1672943214&s=electronics&sprefix=noc%2Celectronics%2C100&sr=1-2-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUFWM08yQTJJQ1RXNTQmZW5jcnlwdGVkSWQ9QTAxMzQ3NzkxUExJUjYwR1RXREtBJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTA4NDIyODUzS1dMVlFWSUlQTzM0JndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

1 Like

Good eye!

1 Like

It looks from pic 2 that the AIO pump isn’t plugged into the W_PUMP+ header - so it’s probably getting speed controlled at the same rate as the fans (bad). It should be plugged into the red-arrowed 4-pin header.

From the manual, make sure the AIO pump is plugged into this “D” header, and make sure in the BIOS that the W_PUMP+ header is set to an appropriate speed (I’d try it at 100% to start with and see if things improve) :

10 Likes

I’d like to thank everyone for their time and advice.

@ScottishTom per your advice, I went and checked the headers and saw that the pump was connected to the CPU Fan header and the fans were connected to the RAD1 Fan header. I went ahead and fixed that, connected the CPU fan to B and the pump to D and that fixed the problem. Much Obliged.
Now my idle temp is around 40c and the same workload (steam download and editing) and gaming is now around 65c
CPU Temp Update

Going forward
@shadragon I will be experimenting with the PS orientation and see if that helps, also purging and replacing the AiO coolant seems to be a little extreme , and didn’t know that its possible to change AiO coolant.

@Trooper_ish I will change the orientation of the middle fan and add maybe 2-3 in-take fans at the bottom

@bambinone @Martin_Leskiewicz12 I got an Arctic thermal paste around that I plan to use soon.

Thanks again for everyone’s tips and advice. The help was very much appreciated.

11 Likes

@wendell , this would earn an eagle eyes and a troubleshooter badge if they were available…
I’m impressed :smile:

5 Likes

Completely agree, but this is a second hand system and the person who had it may have done something dumb. If someone did do their own AIO maint, they could have used incompatible third party coolant that corroded internal fittings, not completely filled the rad or some other bone head error. Your system is 20-25 C higher than I would expect. So if you re-paste and still have issues, I was just trying to give you a laundry list of things to check.

@ScottishTom Well observed sir.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.