So i am doing the Mac Challange

didnt know that! Thank you!

There seems to be loads of stuff it does just under the surface. Auto correct everywhere is pretty nice to.

1 Like

For sure.

A lot of people look at MacOS and think the Aqua GUI is the full story and that it’s just a friendly GUI for retards.

There is a LOT of integration and advanced user shit going on underneath.

This is why i have to laugh at things like Unity on ubuntu or Mint or any of the other wannabe macOS look-alikes.

They’ve made a GUI that looks a bit like macOS. Congrats! You’ve replicated approximately 5% of the actual functionality of macOS by doing that. And for me, you’ve chosen the worst part of macOS to replicate. I actually don’t particularly like a LOT of the UI decisions made in macOS. Some i do for sure (like the fact that an application running in the background with a dialog won’t pop it up over my work - it is local to the application itself - if it is minimised it just does a dock bounce and i can keep working without disruption). But others… meh. Was only relatively recently you could maximise full screen or resize from any window corner (!).

Wake me up when things like windows never needing to be manually refreshed to reflect changes made elsewhere in the OS is a thing (exception: network shares).

Wake me up when system reboots (or even operating system upgrades) can be performed without needing to bother even saving your work - and the same documents pop up open with the cursor IN THE SAME SPOT IN THE DOCUMENT as they were before you kicked off a major OS upgrade.

These are the sorts of things that wannabe macOS clones have never managed (not even Windows)… there’s a lot more to it than making something look like Aqua.

But you never find this out until you “live with macOS” for a while. On the surface it just looks like a friendly UI. But the more you look the more little “oh, that’s neat” things you’ll probably discover, if you actually sit down, unlearn what you have learned and try to use macOS with a fresh outlook.

Like… a long time windows using friend… after getting his first mac a few years back asked me how to install and uninstall software.

Answer (generally): drag the application icon wherever (it doesn’t matter. run the app from USB stick if you so choose!). It didn’t click that it was that straightforward. That there was generally no installer (exception being for some apps that install system services or system extensions).

Took a while for him to “get it” because being a Windows user he was expecting some convoluted BS thing to do to install or deinstall an application :smiley:

I believe that Linux or Windows users often get frustrated with macOS because they are expecting it to be far more complicated to do things than it is. Because they’re trained by previous experience to have to fuck around to work around windows brain damage to get things done.

For macOS - relax, let go and let the OS take care of it (for the most part). Take less of a control freak attitude towards computing and let the OS sweat the details (don’t waste your brain on it). You don’t need to worry about most of it on MacOS, and trying to second guess macOS rather than just letting it do its thing just complicates things.

1 Like

for most windows and linux user a mac is a bit of a shock but not necessarily a bad one.
as a repair tech ive worked with macs, pc’s windows, linux, osx os2 warp, dos, ibm pc dos,
and am familiar with cli uses.
it all depends on taste and what you are used to when it comes to gui.
almost every time im working with a mac its through terminal because i can get the info i want so much faster.
mac or windows is not my choice of os but i wont say its bad for someone else.
that’s entirely their choice.
what you chose to do with your os is up to you! If mac does what you want, Great! Same with Windows.
my reasons for switching to linux is that it does what i want.

1 Like