So i am doing the Mac Challange

Were talking about network administration. Have you ever tried interface bonding or setting up a static network bridge without editing config files? :smiley:

Yes, and yes.

But only on servers, of which I wouldnā€™t use OSX for servers.

1 Like

This is the part where I told him not to do that in macOS and maybe use GNU/Linux instead :wink:

Hes not using a laptop as a serverā€¦

though you can do similar stuff with networksetup, Iā€™m not overly familiar with it though. network manager is more featured as far as I can tell.

Since I am responsible for the the campus switches, router, firewalls, VPN Gateways etc. I dont really work with servers :smiley: I know my way around windows server and like i said a bit linux server but thats it :smiley:

Was just thinking as one of the things apple does well is cross device hand-off.

get a text, its on your laptop. phones ringing, laptop tells you. copy text on your laptop, its on your phone to paste. etc.

plus airdrop, its ridiculous.

1 Like

Does it mean you mainly use ssh, telnet and web interfaces for you work?

yeah pretty much
sometimes network scanners but for that i use zenmap/nmap
I think the only other programm i had to use over the years was ASDM for the Cisco ASA
other then that ssh and a browser (vivaldi atm)

Youā€™ll be right at home then, native ssh etc. youā€™ll need something for serial though. Doesnā€™t look like Minicom is available for Mac :cry: (looks available via home-brew, etc)

so no usb to com ? ā€¦ damn

Its supported, just not the tools id normally go to. Minicom is my goto on linux, its the best :heart:

There are other OSX serial software out there but its not something ive explored atm. and Minicom is available via home-brew from a quick google.

others exist, ā€œserialā€ on the Mac store, you can use the built in screen command though ā€¦ its the screen command. I guess it gets the job done.

i will look into that. Thanks :slight_smile:

try to use nmap in your termianl .get used to man pages. usually a UI is restricting you more than it helps you for that work.

Additional side note: Do ā€œping 1.1ā€ when you want to check if you have access to the internet through your network. 1.1 will be resolved as 1.0.0.1 which is a cloudflare DNS server. I have even put an alias for that in my .bash_profile so I only need to type ā€œp1ā€ :smiley:

I use zenmap since i dont have to use a network scanner often and i cant remeber the commands :confused:
I would say 80% of my work is done in terminals. Since GUIs take to long to respond sometimes i prefer the command line

Force touch links.

And other trackpad gestures you should learn.

1 Like

If you throw it out I want itā€¦

Back in the early days of OS X it was extremely common for most IT folks to use the command line as a method of compiling BSD & Linux software to OS Xā€“however that gap had shrunk after Mountain Lion, you can get OS X native ports. Keep in mind Iā€™ve been using MacOS since 1992(mostly in school, my parents stuck with DOS/Windows) and I actually suffered using the first version of OS X(10.0/10.1) but for the most part the OS is easy to manage/troubleshoot. Iā€™m sure spending a bit of time using Sun Solaris 9 & 10 may have played a slight role of making OS Xā€™s terminal & commands less headache inducing. (switching between BSD & Linux leads to a bit of pauses in thinkingā€“while I used Red Hat since 1999, there are things about Linux which grind my gears)

As far as useful OS X native software, Iā€™d highly recommend OmniGraffle & OminiOutliner. If you already plan to use Microsoft OneNote it might make Outliner somewhat overlapping. In my opinion Appleā€™s Keynote is nicer than Microsoftā€™s Powerpoint. Since I do audio work on OS X, it makes certain tasks somewhat more Mac leaningā€“while Linux has gotten better with low latency kernels, audio plug-ins are still Mac/Windows specific with DRM hell(key server or USB dongle).

Work wise Iā€™m thankful Iā€™ve never been forced to use Windows for server/network admin tasks. All I use Windows for is mostly gaming or dealing with products which require Windows for firmware/software updates/upgrades. #shakes fist at Garmin & TomTom# :weary:

1 Like

Another good point atm:

The spaces left and right from the trackpad are getting nicely warm which help with my cold hands :smiley:
Nice touch altough not really relevant.

Check out

• the services menu and how to use it
  • holding down option key when clicking on things on the menu bar (e.g., wifi status, etc.)

As someone thatā€™s prone to engage in worthless, nonsensical arguments, I have to disagree.

Aesthetics and features set are important to a lot of people, and tastes vary. Someone like Richard Stallman that checks his e-mail through the abhorrent Emacs will probably be fine with the little Apple terminal (of course, we all know he wouldnā€™t because heā€™d be too busy criticizing it as being malware).

The biggest reason I use iTerm2 is, one, the color schemes you can import. Yes, Iā€™m sure it works on Terminal, too. The second biggest reason is the terminal split.

CMD + D splits vertically and CMD + Shift + D splits horizontally. CMD + [ and CMD + ] lets you navigate. CMD + T opens tabs and CMD + Num allows you to switch between tabs. I can also rename my tabs with CMD + I > Type name > CMD + W.

Not sure about @Ruffaloā€™s workflow. But lol at native Terminal.