Snowhite and the 7 dwarfs

Why would I? Roughly 50% of my storage capacity is free. I don’t need the space. I do it for the silence.
Also this is mi only computer. I literally have no need for large NVMe drive.

2 things…

1. My CPU is idling 99% of the time. I will literally feel no difference in any way.
  2. My board doesn’t support 5000 series Ryzen…
3 Likes

Having made the involuntary upgrade (mobo died) from a 1700x to a 5800x a while ago, yes the performance upgrade is insane! However: I am kicking my System hard on a regular basis with long video renders. Unless you actually need the power, put the money elsewhere.

2 Likes

It’s looking nice, I mean the case :wink:
Post pictures of the end result!

3 Likes

The fact that you do not need a big black kludge in the middle of your chassi? Aesthetics are part of it ya know… :slight_smile:

But sure, your build, do it however you like.

Actually… If you upgrade the BIOS, it does support 1000-5000 Ryzen series (but lose support for Athlon CPUs). Totally understand if you got other priorities though!

https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/AB350%20Pro4/#BIOS

2 Likes

I don’t understand what you mean…

Oh…
Honestly last time I checked there was no 5000 support.
They have fixed that. Lovely.

1 Like

Snohwite
FTFY

1 Like

you mean, you just read it… “”“for the articles…”""

2 Likes

If you use m.2 instead of SATA SSD there is no need for a SATA SSD saving your hair on ugly power cords, for a slightly cleaner aesthetic overall. :slight_smile: But whatever, it’s a nit to pick, not really important.

1 Like

I overslept today and didn’t have enough time to move the system to it’s new housing :slight_smile: Hopefully tomorrow morning I will get out of bed on time and be able to rebuild the entire thing…

Random thoughts before bed…

1. My old case was black, so I was focusing on the white details of the rest of the hardware. My new case is entirely hwite tho, so I would have to focus on the black details, so it would counter all the whiteness…
  2. I was thinking about using the stock Lian Li fans the case comes with, but damn, that is white on white… I am going to use mu Fractal fans, so there is some color difference. The black framing of the fans will break the monotone sea of whiteness…
  3. I will use the cable extensions, since I have them, but they are also white. I may be better off using the stock black PSU cables… I will see how the system looks with the white extensions first tho.

Man, I really wanted the black version of this case, but the local stores only have the white one :frowning: And I lucked out and bought the last case they had :joy:

Strap on, kids, it’s gonna be a bompe ride…
So here is my current system:

As you can see there are a bunch of issues with the way my current system is built.

The obvious issue is the fact the front mesh is kept on with some duct tape, cause the clips broke and they don’t work anymore.
The cable management is fine, but it can be cleaned up more.
The AIO is a Cooler Master, but the Cooler Master fans, that come with it are atrocious. The rotor is huge, like HUGE…

So I used a couple of F12 Arctic fans instead of the CM fans. The noise is lower and the thermals are better.
Unfortunately one of the F12 fans died so I had to go back to one F12 and one CM fans.
That’s why I bought the new Arctic fans, so I can unify somewhat the AIO…
The HDD is mounted in the optical drive bay. Once I remove the HDD I will have no need for an ODB anymore.
Also the rubber grommets seems to be falling apart.

So I will try to fix most of these issues in the new case.

I also found something I forgot I even had - a 4 fan PWM splitter. That would help immensely…

Sadly the Fractal fans are 3 pin so this PWM splitter won’t really work for them, but we shall see what I can do in the building process…

Shall we begin?
Yes. Yes, we shall…

Ok, mounted the SSD. Will attempt to wire it on the inside. If it doesn’t work I will mount it on the outside…

The front fan mounts are needlessly complicated.
On the front of the case there are those fan mount plates, that are held together with clips and screws. You remove the screws and unclip the plates and then remove the fans from the plates. They can just have the fan mounts on the front of the case, but they have decided otherwise.

The fans look really cool, tho. I kinda feel bad for replacing them…

So this is the new front of the case:

Well, I kinda expected the black frames of the fans to be more visible. Well it ain’t…
Moving on. I mounted the PSU… It’s a toiny little thing. The cabling is worrying me. Altho I am just now realizing ho much actual space there is. So no, the cabling is mostly fine.

Here’s fun

This thing seems to be dusty :joy:
Also I have not cleaned my case in a while…

Thanks to the excellent design from Lian Li I can remove the entire rear panel and work very easily on mounting everything.

Removable panels, children.
This is something you don’t know you want until you have it. And then you want the F out of it… But trust me - removable panels is a really nice feature…

Motherboard mount - EZ…
Next up - I will replace the fans of my AIO. I must say I really like how this thing looks…

Before I mount the AIO I need to deal with the cabling in the upper left corner. I don’t have an 8pin EPS extension cable, cause that is almost always gonna be covered either by the AIO or a large air cooler. So I will use the PSU cable directly.
While I was trying to deal with that, I realised things would be 173,5% easier for me if I remove the HDD cage.

Also, I can’t stress enough how great it is building a PC without having a rear panel… It’s SO GOOD…

And here we are. I can’t mount my AIO on the roof, because the ram is literally 2mm too tall.
So the new plan is AIO in the front, dual 140 exhausts on the roof.

Yes, I know it’s upside down, no, I can’t mount it the other way round.

Back panel - on…
Now there is one bad thing about removable back panels - you have to attach them later on with the rear exhaust and in my situation - motherboard backplate… It’s a pain to clip the panel before started screwing.
Now if there were screws only and no clips that would have been precisely 628,4% easier to deal with.

Now, the system is mostly done. But I need to do some cable work before I attach the two bottom intake fans.

It looks so nice…

Right. Fan controller…
I have removed the Fractal case fan controller.
The issue with it, is that there is no place I can screw it onto and I have no screws, long enough to mount it wherever, altho the issue would still stand - even if I had the screws there will be nowhere to screw it to.
I can just leave it floating in the back just like that, but I don’t like to do trash like this, so for now it’s out of the picture.
Meanwhile the rest of the system:

Remember when I said this case have way too much white and I want to focus on the black?
Yeah, I kinda tale that back…

Looks really nice tho. I like it.
It took me waaaay longer than it ever should have, but here we are.

Now the LED strips.
There is no way I can mount them in a way they will illuminate the internals.
The chamber is small and the 140mill fans will hide the strips so no light. Even if I mount it on the front, the rad and fan brackets will block the light. So no light.
It’s OK thought, cause the glass is not tinted at all.

Now I need to plug all the cables, see how it goes and will report after work.
I need to go to work. When I come back I will play around with my brand new 6 years old computer…

6 Likes

if you can flip the rad or put it in the roof of the case.
the way you have it will affect its performance over time.
flipping or sticking it on the roof will ensure that both inflow and outflow are always submerged.
the way you have it will promote any air to be pushed into the top of the rad which will reduce performance and even cause a fail over time.

2 Likes

No and no…

I know. This is the only way I can mount it.

I know. Again, I can’t do anything about it.
Hoses are too short for the rad to be upside down and the ram is too tall for the rad to be mounted on the roof.

I have larger issues. The system doesn’t boot…

1 Like

OK, the system booted, the standard issue…
But I have fan issues now. The fans are spinning insanely fast. My guess is all max speed, cause I am using PWM signal and I am splitting it to multiple 3 pin fans. The result is… not great.

I have options to deal with that, use splitters I have, there are ways. But I don’t have time for this.
But the fans will NOT stay that way. It’s insanely loud…

PS: at the moment it’s snowhite and only 2 dwarves until I find a way to hush the damn thing…

1 Like

The build is coming nicely together, but please change those cables to white ones.

obraz

1 Like

flip the cooler so the name is the right way round… you should still have clearance with the ram. then you can run the pipes down under the ram and have the pipe at the bottom of the rad.

the way you have it now (upside down) is whats stopping it reaching.

2 Likes

Hopefully you are right, otherwise Pete will get negative /s

2 Likes

Pete already is negative…
Just 5 more milimeters wider and there would be no issues with anything… 5 fucking milimeters. But here we are…
I will try rotating the radiator as soon as I find a way to deal with the fans. I will need to work on that anyways, so I will have the system off and be dealing with it.

I don’t have white cables for those…

Thank you :blush:

1 Like

I have a plan…
The splitter have one fan that it uses for reference.
I will use a 3 pin on that plug.
This way the motherboard will detect a 3 pin fan and I will have 3 pin splitter.
The dual PWM fans I will move to a different fan header on the motherboard…

Will report back as soon as I get home from work.

2 Likes

OK, the plan worked.
I plugged the splitter into different fan header, cause the CPU fan header is PWM only, so I used that.
The AIO fans have way too short cables so I can’t plug them anywhere. However I managed to plug all fans to the splitter.
I need to fix my AIO as @anon7678104 mentioned.
I don’t like the upside down logo and there is a water dribbling noise coming from the aio that I don’t appreciate at all…

1 Like

UPDATE…
Before I moved my system in the new case I have made some benchmarks in the old case…
Furmark managed to bring my GPU all the way to 77C after about 15 minutes and Prime95 heated up the CPU all the way to 63C.
After moving to the new case I have 2x140mil fans blowing air directly into the GPU and that is why Furmark couldn’t break 70C. Sadly I couldn’t even “nice” the GPU. 68C was the most I managed to reach with Furmark.
Prime95 could not reach 60C and I guess it’s the fact the AIO is pulling cold air directly from the outside the case, instead of using the hot air from inside the case.

All that gave me room to slow down the case fans even more. I can literally see the Arctic F12 sticker rotating on the fan. That’s how slow the fans are spinning.

3 Likes