Snagged a dream case with poor cooling (Lian Li PC-V1000) Fixed it

My system specs I installed are a 7900X, RTX 3080, 64 gigs DDR5 (PITA) Two SATA SSDs, two hard drives, two nvme optanes running my little storage pools.
My Blender and gaming VM workstation.

I’ve been trying to coerce my friend into giving up his nice black Lian Li case to me for a while now.
One day on eBay I finally found him an offer he couldn’t refuse.

My GPU hits 80C, he gets the V1000. That’s the deal we made. But after a quick eyeball measurement of the eBay photos I found a glimmer of hope.

One of the simpler and easier mods I’ve ever done actually lol
There’s a total of 5 5.25 inch drive bays at the front, however the cage extends one higher, giving just under 290mm of height clearance.

The dual 140mm fans take up the drive bays almost perfectly with millimeters of clearance to spare.

I even rebuilt the original blower motor accessory in thick TPU to see if it would shut up the centrifugal fan enough to be usable.
This was mainly for science. Hypothesis confirmed, it is loud and completely redundant.

Apologies for the cable management. I’ve been sleeping on the wiring harness my GPU deshroud needs and I’ve gotta switch out my cooler before semi-permanent cable management.

Shameful outboard rear exhaust until this is rectified.

I put a ton of RGB in it because back in the day even the reviews for this bad boy were throwing cold cathodes in it. It’s tradition.
Using all the channels with as few splitters as possible and something amazing happened.
Even the RGB vomit (That I can’t change at boot, thanks Asus) doesn’t look so disgusting. The other RGB is coming off a Corsair fan hub with an actual brain.

The multiple LED channels make it pretty decent for SignalRGB’s 2D animations and I must concede it’s cool.

But IMO RGB serves one useful purpose only. Party time.

5 Likes

Anyway in the end I’m up 1 degree on the GPU, against an extremely direct side-vented case. That’s a major win for the dual 140mm fans.
(one Kaze Flex, one Arctic F140. Similar performance, noise, speed, but counter rotation)

The fan sound quality here is so much better with 2 fans buried inside the case than the 6 externally facing fans of my previous case.

The flat CPU cooler on the other hand recycles way too much air and a regular tower cooler will probably negate the 5 degrees I gained on that side (I wasn’t even considering this during the build, focused on GPU)

Need fans closer to front you’re drawing in air that’s already inside the case

1 Like

They can’t mount closer to the front with the front bezels I have and actually my RGB diffusers are taped up providing a barrier.

Almost no path for air to recirculate around the drive cage back to the front. Just the front set of slits and cutouts.
And as it is, well this is pretty much how deep the fans are mounted in the Cheese Grater Mac this thing was totally stealing (and improving) the aesthetic of.

Then 80mm fans on the back above the pci io is all you can do

I have the Lian Li PC-V2000 Silver case I bought 19 years ago holding my “server”. Looking at these pictures I might just switch back to it with RGB fans and lights on my next system upgrade. Though the lack of space behind the motherboard for cable management would make that more difficult.

I love the case, but it killed more video card coolers than I liked until I flipped the case over. Because they put the power supply on the bottom and flipped the motherboard layout the video card fans were always on top of the card which caused them to wear down and die much faster.

That one might be easier to really mod up. Simpler layout, The panels are all straight.

So if you were gonna drill out rivets and cut panels and bolt them back in… that’d be much easier. And you could easily address the cable management with a few more holes in the divider plate (sorely needs a couple for EPS cables and other mobo aux power) like the PD ports that run off 6-pin GPU cables

Plus you have additional space and can fit one optical drive plus the fans, and the additional length should keep it from interfering with big GPUs

The slightly infurating thing about these cases is that barely a quarter inch of additional side panel clearance would allow for so much more cable management.
But on the other hand there’s a whole lot of surface to stick down cable channels to.

I really miss these old cases with the multiple large drive bays. I remember having one of those hard drive adapters with a fan cooling bracket way back in the day. It’s so difficult to find these cases now and they go for crazy amounts on eBay for being “vintage” when you could probably pick one up for $15 in the right Craigslist find.

Don’t even mind the RGB puke. Looks retro. The video doesn’t make the fan noise seem that bad either. Good post.

The fan noise isn’t bad at all. (They’re on full here)
The CPU cooler to get a 7900 to thermal equilibrium is taking the spotlight. It’s literally just too much power, needs an underclock to fix.

The original fans were actually a little overkill. The airflow fans blow 30% more within their low RPM limit. replaced them with Arctic P14 ARGB fans.
It kinda works for me. I could unshield the lower section and throw an rgb fan in the bottom too. The filter in there blocks the underglow lighting for free tho…
Yeah screw it I’m ordering the matching fan for the bottom now.

Hey, im just wondering does anyone have any idea about my PC-V1000 Plus case. its black on color has Noctua sticker in front and has ‘‘silenting’’ foam all around. i Don’t believe its diy made tho.

The foam is stock. And it’s probably going to disintigrate at some point.

NOT BAD! I love lian li cases, but by god they’re hard to find at reasonable costs!