SMB to desktop computer cripples network

I’ve built a new computer that has Wi-Fi 802.11ax and my Router also supports Wi-Fi 802.11ax. When I copy files from another device that has SMB server running (but without Wi-Fi 802.11ax support) the whole network is absolutely crippled to the point that other devices are even kicked out of the wireless network.

I have no problem copying a file from this device to another device that does not support Wi-Fi 802.11ax, but ax seems to overwhelm the router.

Since I usually tend to move files around on my network rather often this has become an annoying issue. Especially because I would still like to use my network and Internet while the file copying is going on.

Also, on non-ax devices when a file copy is going on, I still can stream in HD and wouldn’t even notice it.

That being said, on ax it seems to faster so maybe it would be enough to limit SMB’s transfer rate, if something like that is possible.

Are there any other ideas, beside deactivating ax?

tried QoS/Bandwidth limit on router?

limit connection rate for single connector.

1 Like

This is a wild only somewhat educated guess.

WiFi networks block out other signals when they are transmitting. It sounds to me that you are using the same frequency ranges for your high speed ax network as for the others.

Try setting up an SSID only for ax 5 GHz and if at all possible give it its own frequency range on its own radio.

Another thing I have heard of is routers with 80 MHz using 160 MHz through dual radios. If your router is using super-wide channels and/or dual radios try turning that off.

Also super-wide channels can stomp on a lot more of the other 5 GHz channels. You need to be careful when assigning channels to other radios so they don’t overlap.

1 Like

Thanks to both your answers, I had other issues I needed to address and forgot about this thread until now :frowning:
However, your answers are appreciated :slight_smile:

@ndesign.ie I have QoS but no setting that appears to be helpful in this regard

@zlynx :thinking: Thanks, I will have a look.