Small windows problems thread

Roll back the update, there’s no need to be on the targeted channel. Alternatively reinstall any APOs you are using and your audio drivers.

Sounds like you have some application that’s setting it for you

Restarted my host and that fixed the problem. Feel really stupid now.

Welp I’m running into an audio issue. My sound is echoing. I use a logitech G430 USB dongle to handle audio on my windows laptop because it has no headphone port. I already checked audio settings for spatial sound, is there an recho effect somewhere?

Never mind found it. Logitech software was turning on dolby surround and that DOES NOT sound good on 230 USD headphones.

Not really a problem neccessarily, but how do I make my display run at 120FPS? I can force it in linux, but I’m not convinced its running at a full 120 in windows as of yet.

I assume you mean Hz not FPS, but you just go into the display settings (in the device manager) and set it there. Alternatively in the AMD control panel (since IIRC you’re not using Nvidia so…).

My laphop has a 1060 6GB. All my linux machines dave amd though.

Thank you!

Wait where in device manager? Do I look in the monitor’s properties or the GPU properties?

In the Monitor’s properties IIRC.
I’m not sure how this works on laptops though, it might be they change refresh rates depending on power states, never really looked into it though cause I don’t use a laptop.

1 Like

Yeah I’m not seeing it I’ll just have to have hope that windows isn’t as trash as I think/know it is lol.

settings > system > display > advanced display settings > display adapter properties > monitor tab

or use nvidia control panel > change resolution

2 Likes

Well that worked but I can only set it to 60hz.

What a fucking joke wtf windows.

Any linux I run I can set it to 120 no problem.

you can set custom modes and resolutions but your edid is either not reporting correctly or youre overclocking the display

2 Likes

Thanks 1000X for the clarification. I skimmed through the manual too fast, it does indeed mention this. I will be testing shortly. Superthanks, and great reminder to do read the manual carefully.

Windows 1909 18363.720 doesn’t update file modification dates until after restart, F5 doesn’t help.
Rather big problem I would say.

Having a small issue with a PC I’m working on (Company PC, so gotta solve this as non-admin).

At work we are using 2 Monitors (1280x1024, high-tech, right?). Currently working from home and we got to take the PCs with us, so I wanted to use my 1440p monitor. It does work(-ish), except that Windows sees the monitor as 1080p. They are Dell Optiplex 3010 with an HD 5450 in them. From what I can tell in the Datasheet (can’t find an official one), it should support the resolution without issue. The monitor (AD27QD) doesn’t seem to be the issue either (works fine in 1440p under Linux on my main PC). So the only remaining thing are the driver and the cable. Cable is this:

Now Amazon doesn’t seem to have a spec on them, but I can’t imagine it not supporting the resolution. It’s a thick-ass cable that should support the bandwidth. Anyone have experience with that cable though?

Or any other bright ideas? As mentioned, can’t fiddle with the driver except set stuff up in it (Catalyst Control Center).

Blind shot … go to BIOS, Maintenance and Disable SERR messaging

From what I remember but I may be wrong, 5450 through HDMI can display 1920x1200 only. Just using a combination of hdmi-> dvi will not solve the limitation, because the signal is still coming out from HDMI. The signal would have to be dvi-dvi…

https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/dh-032

5450 can display 2560x1600 but via Dual-Link DVI

You can’t update the driver for a custom resolution can you?

Well that’s odd… and annoying :frowning:

Nope, no admin

Do you have the option of booting from usb? If so, run a private W10 on usb and check the resolution, but if it is the aspect of the card itself, it won’t do anything and you’ll have an answer.

WinToUSB

Mh not sure, need to look into it. But I think USB ports are disabled for the most part and BIOS is locked down I think. Need to look into it