Small Size Server room

i recently had the opportunity to buy my own space, so im moving from a rented office to my own building now.

it’s a small place but I want to install a full-size rack and in a small room (maybe using drywall) so I wanted it to be as small as possible and I was wondering what are the things I should look for?

I never had a full-size rack with network equipment and servers in it.

I will have 4 routers, a couple of ups and 3 servers in it, nothing crazy.

but i was wondering, is there something i should consider, what’s the proper way to keep it cool? i guess AC on the summer and maybe in winter, i can have a system that pulls cold air from the outside? and vent the hot air out?

should i add anything for acoustics? this is just really a small though and i was wondering if anyone here has done something similar and could help out form a more cohesive idea so i can plan the building.

2 Likes

Congrats on a space of your own!

I don’t know the age of your gear, but pretty much anything enterprise grade (rack mount gear) can tolerate pretty high temperatures… So AC might not be a strict requirement. Your idea for an air exchange is probably enough to get started.

I manage two server rooms, one with an acoustic drop ceiling and drywall, the other is a poured concrete room that used to be a vault. The ceiling and drywall really helps soak up sound! However, the high ceiling in the vault has a nice raceway track system for managing cables.

1 Like

If you plan to have more than a consumer sized Synology in there, you’ll at least need ventilation if not a dedicated A/C duct.

Main thing in my experience is to ensure you have at least 4 feet of clearance in front of the rack so you can load long servers (can be with a door open). I’ve seen small server rooms that were only built with the full rack size in mind with only enough clearance in front for a person to stand. Can’t get the eq in and out of it.

FWIW, I recommend the star tech 4 post rack. It is inexpensive, flexible and sturdy.

If you don’t have a rack or cabinet already, don’t buy a new one. Big companies frequently throw them away, or give them away. I’ve thrown out five full height racks over the last ten years. Check out Craigslist, Facebook, etc for your area to find one cheap or free.

1 Like

im a contractor who has built scores? hundreds? of server rooms. counting is hard.
typically i see these things installed by some heating and cooling contractors. they work and work well and are pretty space efficient. no idea of cost.

i typically install small racks like this

on the wall directly to the studs using this brand

if metal studs and lag bolts if wood studs.

if the client is large or has a lot of server space requirements we go full 6 foot or so. normally we will also get a plywood board mounted to the wall and the studs and then screw the server into the wall from the side. this is to prevent someone from unplugging things and rolling the whole rack out while giving us access to the back/front. where their is space requirements and/or the client has a lot of racks this isnt always possible. for acoustics you could fill the walls with insulation and put insulation on the ceiling tiles, but this will make access harder and cost you a couple grand. i would plan on moving in and doing that later once you know how loud it is. a lot of times you dont need to. a cheaper solution which may or may not be possible is a air gap double drywall an/or sound insulating drywall, but this is only cheaper if you already have contractors renovating the place.

1 Like

Lots of good advice already. Some more things to think about:

• Power. Dedicated circuits and beefy electrics. Separate the HVAC spur from the one running your mission critical kit.

• Location. Check out the L1 techs YouTube channel. Wendell does a video on building a server closet. Should be in the playlist. I’d search but I’m on a train right now. Basically don’t put it under the water tank. And put a lock on the door.

• Cable management. If you don’t have raised floors or drop ceilings, invest in some wall mount cable trays.

• Enjoy it, take photos and share with the community. We are all jealous.

1 Like

thanks everyone awesome tips and guidance here!!.

equipment i will have in the rack is

UniFi® Cloud Key Gen2
UniFi® Security Gateway Pro 4
UniFi® Switch 24 PoE Gen2 x3
UPS 2U x2
2 4U servers with off the shelf components (asus mobo and TR 2990x)

there a few extra thing in there but mostly the fiber router from the ISP

i will look my local listing to see if anyone is giving racks away.

thanks everyone will be posting in the next few month how everything is going!!.