Slow nvme drives or software/hardware problem?

Hi.
Got these two drives in my PC
intel 660p 1 tb
kingston 512 tb

And speeds top around 200MB/s when doing real world tasks even if benchmarks seem ok
intel-nvme.png.fc99f65795190bb192ac433effbc17a3 kingston-nvme.png.05dd5b0af8d344bcbcc5c7cf1b44dbc8

My system specs:
ryzen 7 2700x
16gb ram, rtx 2080, asrock x470 taichi.
i dont have any weird stuff running in the background.
i dont think its normal for regular read/writes when i actually copy/paste files around to average 200MB/s…

You need to understand what these benchmarks are. Those 2 lines (per drive) with high speeds are sequential, not random. The 3rd line is random and those are much more in line with your experience. So I’d say, the reported performance is overall in agreement with the benchmarks you’ve shown.

So, what do i need to buy to get decent speeds in real world use (which just happens to be where i live) in rnd 4k @ q32 ? (you said this is indicative of real world performance)
These drives kind of suck. do you recommend anything that can do at least 500 ? I mean, i want speed.

Intel Optane then. Enjoy!

But only the U.2 or PCI-E AIC versions. The M.2 “Accelerators” don’t work on Ryzen.

1 Like

Are you talking about those weird Frankenstein drives that have both an optane portion and a regular flash portion? Yeah those need special motherboards and proprietary software as most boards can only see one of the two (I think the flash portion) because the it gives two pcie lanes for each, and most boards can only bifurcate down to x4.

The dedicated 16gb and 32gb optane m.2 drives work fine though. I got like 8 of the things for $8-9 each a while back that I use for slogs with my Tyan S8030 motherboard, Epyc 7302p, and ASUS Hyper M.2 X16 PCIe 4.0 X4 Expansion Cards. However just function as normal drives. There is no automagic to make other things go fast.

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.