SLOW connection using VPN on my router

Here is my specs:

• Asus RT-AC66U
  • Firmware: Asuswrt-Merlin v.3.0.0.4.374.40_0
  • Private Internet Access through the OpenVPN Client on the router
  • ISP: 50Mbit / 20Mbit

I used this guide to configure my router so that I could use PIA on it:
https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/forum/index.php?p=/discussion/1125/asus-rt-ac66u-openvpn-setup-guide-/p1

When running the PIA software on my computer I get great speed, but when I enable the configured OpenVPN Client on my router, I get max 11Mbit download speed.

I would love to use the OpenVPN Client on my router, so that I don't have to use a client on my computer or on my mobile phone when connected to my wireless network at home.

Why is the speed so slow with OpenVPN on my router? Is it because the CPU on the router is too slow to handle this traffic and is there anything I could do to speed this up a bit?

The router may be having a hard time encapsulating packets. Are you able to set up SNMP on the router? If so, try monitoring CPU/memory usage to see if packet encapsulation is having an effect.

VPN on routers is always slow. It all has to be done by the cpu as there is no hardware acceleration for it. Getting 50mbit you kinda need to look at PFsense with an Atom CPU.

Would a Raspberry PI with PFsense work, or... maybe I need a computer with 2 Ethernet? In/Out, so that I can connect it between my router and modem.