Skylake Overclocking Intro on All The Boards | Tek Syndicate

Guidelines

Search before asking a question in the forum. The answer might be waiting for you. Feel free to blog about anything. For instructions on how to use the content creation tools, see the video on the left. If you are an author/ contributor to Tek Syndicate, hi.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://teksyndicate.com/videos/skylake-overclocking-intro-all-boards
1 Like

I spoke with you a little on this in Kansas City a little while ago. I was able to get my i5 to [email protected], but got nervous. Sooo, I've gone down to [email protected] using the ASRock board. I'm gonna need this CPU to last me at least 2 or 3 years.

So here's my stuff

i5 6600k
ASRock Z170 Extreme 4
Corsair Vengence DDR4 2400 (that was the built in XMP, I haven't messed with it at all yet).
I've got a Corsair H100i cooler on the cpu in a push pull configuration.

Using x264 benchmarks at 4.7GHz I was able to get complete stability running it for 12 hours with temps at about 79C peak.

The secret for me was setting Load Line calibration to Level 1. This was my first time really overclocking so I definitely probably damaged something.

I hear the words 1.4 volts and then suddenly a brown lump appears in my pants.

You're fine.

CPUs don't burn out anymore (unless you're being really silly)

you can probably do 4.6 safely, not sure about skylake but I know the i5s would hit a voltage wall at 4.5 ghz and cap out at 4.7 with a few unicorns hitting higher clock speeds.

also you have a liquid cooler, so you're fine temp wise.

good job.....
But actually you didn't describe how to update the bios on the MSI board, which unfortunately happens to be the same UI and setup as my z170 gaming pro ac (mitx).

I think I will hold off on using it for now anyway I am swamped with work, no 4k monitor right now, waiting for cables for a proper power supply and no recent games worth testing the titan x out on.

Skylake box can wait.

6600k, Corsair H100i, Gigabyte G1 Gaming GA-Z170N-Gaming 5, G.Skill Trident Z 16GB 3200MHz XMP, MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G

My motherboard BIOS is on version F3 and most current at the time of this post.

Got my 6600k stable at 4.7 but decided to back it off to 4.4GHz at stock voltage from the factory preset overclock.

These Trident Z sticks though are a heck of a good pair of memory. XMP at the stock 16-16-16-36 timings at 3200MHz at 1.35v worked just fine but I wanted to put these to the test. I stopped pushing the limits at 3600MHz and fine tuned the timings for 17-18-18-36 at 1.46v and its actually stable. I didn't try going up and beyond this simply because I am happy with them at this speed. Got increases in reads, writes, and copy in aida64.

Here is a good guide that lead me to these speeds. http://www.overclockers.com/g-skill-trident-z-16gb-ddr4-3200-c16-memory-review/

After running the last couple of weeks at 4.6Ghz on my 6700K @ 1.35V and XMP timings at 3000Mhz on my G.Skill Trident Z sticks @ 1.35V with total stability (except for XMP 3400, that's a whole nother story), I think I'm satisfied with those results and am now going to try the other direction and see how little voltage I can run and still be stable.

System:

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero (BIOS v1202)
i7-6700K
2 x 8GB G.Skill Trident Z 3400
Be-Quiet! Dark Power Pro 850W
EK Waterblocks Predator 240 (top mounted-exhaust)
Fractal Define S

First test at 1.34V after 4 hours of Realbench is in the books:

Temperatures came down a bit from the mid-70's at 1.35V as average temps are in the 60's during testing with spikes into the mid 70'S on the CPU.

As a note, I am now running VCCIO and SA at Auto settings in the UEFI.