Simple Phone for the eldery... does it even exist these days?

Hi all

This is a problem I’ve been trying to solve for years now and it’s at a point now where just thinking about it makes me unreasonably angry. It’s a bit of story, but it’s to provide context as to why this has been such a struggle.

The problem

The grandparents never had any interest in cellphones. Grandad has had a few dumb phones, but they never lasted and he quickly gave up on it as he just didn’t care for the things.

These days it’s all smartphones… even cheap button phones run Android. As simple as these things are, the grandparents very often get lost and stuck in the menus and are then unable to make calls. This is largely due to the fact that some buttons will do different things depending on where in the menu you are or what app you have accidentally opened. You get devices marketed as for the elderly, but again they run Android with a whole bunch of extra crap that just gets in the way. More on this later…

They were able to keep an old copper landline for some time, but a few years ago that got cut off as the only company (Telkom) in South Africa that did landlines phased them out. So now they had to get a mobile. I got them a cheap Samsung smart phone and spend a lot of time trying to teach them how to use it, but the fact that grandad had to write all the steps down and could not use the thing without those steps was a big red flag. Sure enough, as soon as the phone did something unexpected, the steps he wrote down were useless and I had to go help. This happened way more often than I thought it would and it was largely due to automatic updates and random notifications from apps they did not use and I constantly tried to disable.

Another issue is that they don’t phone that often and people don’t phone them that often which means they never really learned how to use the phone. On top of this grandad constantly forgot to charge it. Another unexpected issue was that the phone had a hard time detecting grandad’s fingers. Having worked with his hands all his life, his fingers are more like leather and sometimes the phone just doesn’t register when he touches it. It was a complete failure and I needed a different solution.

Telkom… or as I refer to them, Hellkom…

I ended up getting a mobile phone with a sim that looks and kinda operates like a landline. See image:

Although I got it from Hellkom, they are D-Link devices and so I thought it should at least be somewhat decent. It also has a battery which was a huge plus given the constant power outages we have here. But I was very wrong and it has a lot of the same issues as other smartphones which should not be a surprise given that it also runs Android and companies who use android always try and make it too clever for it’s own good and ruining the experience in the process. Once again, some buttons do different things depending on what is on the screen and it often brings up a message that prevents you from making any calls.

Evey time the device loses power it will bring a message asking if you want to turn things like bluetooth and wifi off to conserve power. Thing is, I already disabled these but still this message comes up and prevents you from making any calls. Again, we have a lot of rolling blackout so this message is a real problem.

However, it gets worse… because of course it does.
After some time, couple of days maybe, it just stops working. All looks fine when you look at the screen and it shows it’s online and has signal, but you can’t call out and it can’t receive calls. There is no way to know that it’s gone into this state unless we test it often. Only way I found to fix it, and you’ve probably already guessed it, is to turn it off and back on again. This requires holding down the power button until it turns off… then waiting for it to show that’s it charging… then you can hold the power button to turn it back on. This is a good 3-4min process and naturally the Grandparents struggle with this as well… and all I want to do is get my big hammer and smash this damn piece of e-waste until it’s nothing more than small pile of dust.

There are many compounded reasons why this situation makes me so angry, but the main reason is the fact that as a society we are leaving our elderly behind. We get rid of the technology they can use, but don’t have any decent replacements which effectively cuts them out of modern life. In this case communication, something we take for granted, has once again become something they wish for rather just have it like the rest of us. Some companies make devices supposedly for the elderly, but they always try and cram as much crap as they can in which just over complicates the thing resulting in a half ass attempt that’s unreliable and difficult to use and ultimately a waste of money.

Solutions?

I did look at VOIP phones, but again they often run Android and have a bunch of extra crap with a screen which is just a trap for the grandparents to get stuck in.

What I need is something that looks and works like and old push button landline. That’s it. Everything else that it could possibly do should be a distant second and NOT interfere with calls in anyway.

It also needs to have some kind of battery backup due to the fact that we constantly have power outages.

The only way I can think to get exactly what we want/need is to somehow make it myself using a raspberry pi, but I’ve never done anything like this and I’ve not found any good examples of someone else using a raspberry pi to turn a old push button landline into a fixed mobile phone.

I did find Cell2Jack which allows you to connect an old landline phone to a cellphone using bluetooth. Problem here is that it still requires a modern-ish cell phone and having it plugged in all the time will probably ruin the battery and cause it to swell up.

However, I do still have my old HTC Desire from 2010 which I was still using until late 2021 as a MP3 player in the car. I stopped using it as the battery started to swell, but it’s removable and I could probably power the phone without the battery.

So, I can connect the old push button phone to Cell2Jack using old phone line, connect the HTC desire to Cell2Jack using bluetooth, and then keep it all going during power outages using some kind of mini ups. I’ll make a little box/platform for the phone to sit on and then have Cell2Jack and HTC inside the box. But how reliable will this actually be??.. who knows…

First choice would be to get something already built to do this, but so far I’m only finding devices that also have a bunch of other options with a screen which will just result in the grandparents getting lost and stuck in menus again… if the thing even works properly. A VOIP phone would be great, but it needs to be very simple… no screens, auto updates, or notifications to trip up the grandparents.

I’m looking for options or ideas. I really need something I can put down and forget about and know it will always work or at the very least work 99% of the time. Given the age of my grandparent they need to be able to make emergency calls so we can’t have something that stops calls from working when it brings up a message/notification. Calls should always work.

I used a door bell system as panic button for the grandparents so there is at least that and working from home means I am here most of the time, but they need a phone so they can keep in touch with family and friends.

1 Like

If you’re comfortable ordering from EU check Doro’s phones on Amazon. Not android, flip, large physical buttons. Some of them also have quickdial buttons you can program, like “help I’ve fallen” and “The son”. Amazon.de : doro mobile

Easyphone and Jitterbug seems to have similar phones in the US Amazon.com : easyphone jitterbug

Not as fun as a Raspberry Pi Zero with a battery, microphone and a couple of buttons :slight_smile:

1 Like

Doro phones are borderline scams, they’re slow, use dated hardware (some models are GSM (2G) only) and the Interface is kinda shit even looking at old non “smart phone” phones like old Nokias or SonyEricsson.

As much as I’m not a fan of Samsung phones some do have “easy mode” which might be an option.

1 Like

Prompted to come out of lurking for this thread as it’s very much what I do day to day at work - assistive technology.

First, heed the advice above and ignore Doro phones. They are a waste of space and really only serve in making things more, rather than less, confusing.

Generally, an Android smart phone (doesn’t have to anything expensive or cutting edge) can be set up, with maybe 5-10 euros worth of apps and a little time, to meet the needs of pretty much anybody.

This usually involves setting up a custom interface using Tasker which will reduce the number of steps to complete something like making a phone call. For example, a call can be made by just tapping a picture of a person - no need to go into contacts, find the person’s name, tap the call icon and then confirm that you actually do want to call them!

The other good thing using such an interface is that they can be set up to work with taps. long taps or swipes - useful for people who maybe find a quick tap difficult to do.

Tasker can also do context dependent triggering of tasks which can be helpful in the case of someone who forgets to charge their phone for example. You can make it so that a phone will give an audible reminder when its battery drops below , say, 20% and will continue with the reminders periodically until the phone is plugged in and charging.

I could go on about this stuff forever! If you’d like some more detail here just let me know, or send me a DM if you’d like to discuss the specific case of your grandparents in more detail.

2 Likes

I hate to say it but have you tried an iPhone? That is what my grandparents are using and it seems fine for them. Part of the issue with old people and technology in general is you need to figure out how to get them over the mental blocks they put up to learning it. For my grandparents it was making it a safety issue since they live by themselves in a rural area.

I think it’s possible to set up 4G routers to route calls though the RJ11 jack out to a bog standard phone. I can’t point you towards a specific model, but there should be some that do.

Thanks for the advice @ucav117 and @sand, but as stated above touch devices struggle to detect grandad’s leather fingers. Had him try swiping on a few different phones now and sometimes it just doesn’t detect him. I first thought it was an issue with the phone I got them as it was a cheap-ish Samsung, but no, seems the problem is grandad and not the phone. Grandad disagrees and says it’s the unnecessary over complicated phone… what is wrong with a simple button?? :stuck_out_tongue:

It can’t have a screen or if it does have a screen they should never have to interact with it.

I found this, mostly by accident, but looks like it will do what I want. Grandad even still has his old landline phone, I checked. With shipping to South Africa, it’s not free shipping, it ends up quite expensive, but if I can’t find something similar for less then I might have to bite the bullet and hope it works like it says it does.

I just can’t believe how difficult and expensive it’s become to make a simple phone call. As crappy as old landline phone were, there’s certain genius to their simplicity. They didn’t even require mains power and they were so cheap to buy. Now look at what I need to do to make the simplest of phone calls and with the constant rolling blackouts we have I also need to buy some kind of battery backup. What a time to be alive…

1 Like

You could do something with voice recognition to make calls - no touching the screen required. Tasker can integrate with Google voice recognition which helps get aorund some of the weird things/confirmation that Google Assistant can sometimes want. It’s a bit more complicated in terms of setup (and is obviously dependent on a reasonably clear voice) but can work welll.

I did consider voice and for grandma who is British/Scottish it should work well as she speaks perfect english along with afrikaans. Grandad on the other hand speaks south african english…

I myself have never used any voice stuff either, but I’ll use my phone and test it with the grandparents. Worth a shot.

I’m at a point where I would like to avoid anything that comes preinstalled with an OS like Android or even iOS as updates can ruin things and after 15 years of doing tech support for everyone I know… it would be a great bonus if I can come up with something dead simple. That Helkom phone was suppose to be something I plug in and don’t have to worry about, but here we are…

I’ve started moving family over to Linux Mint as 99% of what they do is in a browser anyway and my tech support has gone way down because there is no Windows update to ruin my day :stuck_out_tongue:

The reason I thought about making something using a Raspberry Pi is because I used a pi4 with LibreElec/kodi looking at some shares on my… erm… file server, so the grandparent can easily watch movies and series on their TV. Also got them a nice and SIMPLE remote. We tried Netflix, but that didn’t go well either. That said, the pi4 with LibreElec has been rock solid… easily the most reliable piece of tech we have which is why thought about making something myself. Surely it will be better than the cheap crap e-waste so many companies spam online stores with… but it’s beyond my skill set :frowning:

There are some cheap phones for seniors but almost all are only 2G…

myPhone Halo Q+

2G, 3G
uuu

and

1 Like

If the area was covered by GSM / 2G, OP could maybe enroll their Grand dad in Vodacom’s special access thing, for a Alcatel feature phone?

Probably over-priced, with line rental, and they will probably switch 2g off eventually, but the handset looks pretty stripped down

We use something similar here for work in the UK. It’s shit as anything other than an actual phone.

1 Like

Personally, I would probably head towards a router with a 4G modem and rj11 socket.

TP-Link TL-MR6500V or…

In theory, an ordinary analog phone (maybe a little newer with its own power supply) and a sim card with VoLTE turned on and it should work. The end result should be the replacement of land lines with LTE connectivity and the use of your favorite classic telephone set. :wink:

https://www.4gltemall.com/blog/tag/tp-link-tl-mr6500v-test/

Telephony via VoLTE or VoIP

The TP-Link TL-MR6500v is one of the very few LTE router models that offer a telephone function in addition to the Internet. If you have an analog phone connected to the RJ11 connection on the back of the router, you can either make calls via the SIM card and be available (Voice over LTE, VoLTE) or you can store special VoIP access data and make calls via a third-party provider.

In the test, both the telephony via the SIM card in the LTE network with VoLTE and via VoIP with Sipgate worked perfectly. The voice quality was good. Sometimes the call setup and the call signaling took significantly longer than on a cell phone, but the fault here is likely to be with the connected DECT phone. By the way: the MR6500v does not offer a DECT function, so cell phones need a suitable external DECT base.

The TP-Link TL-MR6500v offers a good and full-fledged telephone system with many important basic functions. This includes, for example, a simple address book, an answering machine, a “do not disturb” function and the ability to block phone numbers.

1 Like

Instead of a VoIP phone you might want an ATA (analog telephone adapter). Set-up the VoIP service on the box, then just plug it into your existing house wiring and all the old phones will work like they used to. Grandstream and Cisco (Linksys) make ATAs. With a large installation of Grandstream ATAs, we occasionally had trouble with no sound on one of the ports. Power-cycling the device would fix the issue. The devices can be configured to reboot weekly, which might prevent this from happening. I have no idea if the Cisco (Linksys) ATAs are more or less robust… I haven’t managed 100+ phone lines on them for years to really test & compare.

Your Cell2Jack idea is probably a good option, too. I had a Cobra PhoneLynx for years and it seemed to work fine during the short time I had a use for it.

In either case, you’ll need a DC UPS to power these devices during a blackout to ensure phone calls can still be made.

1 Like

I already have a pretty decent DC UPS so I can save a bit of money and get something that does not have it’s own battery backup:
https://forum.level1techs.com/t/post-what-new-thing-you-acquired-recently/149881/15347?u=nic_s

I can get the TP-Link TL-MR6500V locally and it’s on a 40% discount… but it’s still like 30% more expensive than the thing I found on Ebay. I’m kinda shocked how expensive that thing is.

If I can’t find something at a reasonable price then I will just have to bite the bullet, but so far that thing on ebay seems like the better option especially on price.

Spoke to my neighbor this morning who also has one of those Helkom phones and he is also having endless problems. They really struggle with money and the old man had back surgery about 2 months ago and now can’t really work either. He’s well into his 60’s and has been doing gardening work in our neighborhood.

If I can find something like the Ebay thing but for less, I’ll try and get 2 to help my neighbor out as well. He also still has his old landline phone. Just need a way to connect it to a cell network.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far, I am looking into all of it.

Edit: I did find this on Amazon, but they only have one in stock. Can get them on Ebay though. This might be what I need.

EDIT 2: Never mind, looks like it does not take a sim and can only work in the US :frowning:

The Grandstream stuff looks very promising and with VOIP I don’t need a sim. I wonder if I can have a different number on each of the 2 ports then maybe I can just use one of the ports for neighbor and have the device connected to my mini UPS that keeps my internet alive. Then I can sort the grandparents and my neighbor in one shot.

Available on amazon, have not found the HT802 locally yet…

Why are you even bothering with a VOIP ATA box when you can get like Gigaset handsets dirt cheap that does VoIP?

@diizzy
I need something that does not have a screen with a menu in which the grandparents can get trapped. I’ve not found a VOIP phone that does not have a bunch of extras, a screen, and a menu which are all things that will trip up the grandparents.

I know the first post is long, but it goes some way to explaining the struggle trying to get the grandparents to use anything newer than a landline phone from the 90s. This has been years in the making and at some point I need to stop trying for the sake of my own sanity.

So yea, it’s stupid, but if it will work then converting their old landline to VOIP might be what I have to do.

Well, most if not all will have a screen.
https://www.idealo.de/preisvergleich/OffersOfProduct/5125872_-cl660hx-single-grau-gigaset.html
Is probaby as easy as it gets and they’re very senior friendly in genral.
There’s even a set with slight larger prints on the buttons.
https://www.idealo.de/preisvergleich/OffersOfProduct/6990416_-smart-sos-phone-gigaset.html

We have tons of options for VOIP and even some big buttons stuff (which is not that cheap), but they all have screens and menus. Takealot is our version of Amazon, see link below.

I have to go over to “fix” the phone so often because, and I quote, “it went into that menu by it self” and when they end up in a weird menu they can’t call out.

I am very much aware of how stupid this is…

https://www.takealot.com/all?_r=1&_sb=1&_si=1068f34ed551204d74ba584e15c0aa7e&after=WzIuMDM3NTEwNCw1MzMzMjQ0NF0&qsearch=voip%20phone

Hmm…

Let’s take a slightly different approach to the matter.

What if, instead of earlier solutions, we go towards a “bluetooth handset” that simply pairs with a smartphone (android) and will work as an external, more traditional telephone set.
Hide your smartphone somewhere out of sight and you’re done. :wink:
And you can make a second set for your neighbor.

So the cheapest smartphone you can buy + bluetooth handset + sim with your favorite voice/data package.

You just need to find something in the market… :confused:

One thing I’m not sure if you can make outgoing calls via BT or only receiving… And it seems that most of them are just such an overgrown handset that does not give phone functions hmm.

1 Like