Silverstone CS383. Do my eyes decieve me or is it my dream case?!

Gamers Nexus released a video yesterday, covering some of Silverstone’s case offerings at Computex 2024. One case in particular caught my eye. The CS383.

My current case is a Silverstone FT02 from ~2012. It was my dream case at the time, right around when I first started building my own computers. But it was always too expensive for my teenage self. Skip ahead the best part of a decade and the issue stopped being the price, and became that I could never find one for sale on the second hand market, where the seller was willing to ship it. I spend a good couple of years looking at eBay listings as they’d pop up, contacting sellers, and being disappointed. Then I finally got lucky. Now, sitting beside me as I type, is my much cherished FT02 in all it’s, post-beige era, black with blue blinky lights glory.

It’s as perfect as any case I’ve seen on the market. It’s build quality is the best of any case I’ve owned. The layout means that when you use the right parts, cooling is great, plus I just love the whole aesthetic of the thing… but it does have plenty of room for improvement. Every issue is a minor annoyance though, and they’re all due cases having moved on since when the FT02 was released… stuff like a lack of space behind the motherboard tray and for the cables coming out the rear I/O. Cable management that was good for when the case was released but not up to modern standards. I don’t like that the top panel snaps into place rather than being hinged. An issue that further exacerbates the rear cable clearance problem. The rear I/O is buried kind of deep in the case, so plugging USB devices in is a pain. I’d rather have another two or three 5.25" bays that the 5x 3.5" internal drive cage.

All minor stuff when it comes to me looking for it’s successor.

The one thing that’s becoming more of an issue though is that because the FT02 uses a 90 rotated motherboard design, and to a lesser extent, because the GPU clearance is only 305mm without removing fans / dust filters… modern GPUs either don’t fit or worse still, having cooling issues in the FT02. The reason being is that since the FT02 was released, GPU heatpipes have trended toward being longer and straighter, and the main die of the card further toward the rear I/O, which has meant that the coolant can struggle to wick it’s way back toward the die end of the heatsink. Which leads to cooling problems with a lot of modern cards.

If they were my only considerations, it’d be easy to find a new case but the one other thing that the FT02 has that I simply can’t do without is the 3x 5.25" or more. I’m nearing my next big desktop build though, so the requirements of a modern GPU will probably mean that I’ll have to get a new case. Finding one with enough 5.25" bays though is impossible… that is unless I’m willing to have something that I find hideously ugly…

Then I watched the Gamers Nexus video…

The CS383 looks like it might just be near perfect for me…

From what I can tell from the video, and do bare in mind that I cannot actually confirm the following to be 100% correct. It looks like the SC383 has-

• Room for EATX mobo’s (ASRock Taichi Lite anyone?)
  • A top to bottom, GPU support arm.
  • A door with the all important clearance and airflow to the 5.25" bay(s) that my Icy Dock MB971SP-B and MB326SP-B requires.
  • It also looks like that, including the top 5.25", the case might actually have a total of 10x 5.25"!!!.. Seriously, that makes me very excited!
  • The case looks like it’s well built.
  • No tempered glass nonsense that makes your PC look like a claw machine. Just proper, durable metal.
  • A lock on the front door… which is useless for me really but it’s still frickin’ cool.
  • A price that isn’t totally insane*

*By insane, I mean the amount I was considering spending on a Lian Li PC-D666 that I found a couple of months back.

I know this thread is kind of useless but I’m just so darn excited! I really thought I’d never see a case like this ever again, such is the demise of the 5.25" bay.

I just wish I could share my excitement with Silverstone without having to be on social media. I can’t find anything on their website, where I can just email them something like this.

5 Likes

KitGuru have also shown the CS383 in one of their videos, along with the all important information card that Silverstone put on top of their case displays.

Here’s the info from the card

Model No. SST-CS383
Motherboard SSI-EEB, SSI-CEB, Extended ATX, ATX, Micro-ATX, Mini-ITX
Drive bay External: 2.5" / 3.5" SAS /SATA extneral hot-swapping x 8
5.25" x 4
9.5mm slim optical drive x 2
Internal 3.5" x1
2.5" x2
Cooling system Rear 140mm x 1
Top 140mm / 120mm x3 (optional)
Internal 92mm x 2
Radiator support Rear 140mm / 120mm x 1
Top 120mm / 140mm / 240mm / 280mm / 360mm / 420mm x1
CPU limitation 156mm
Power Suuply Up to 13.4" (341mm) in length
Primary PSU slot PS2 (ATX) / Mini Redundant / 2U Redundant
Max GPU clearance Secondary PSU slot PS2 (ATX)
Front I/O port USB Type-C x1, USB 3.0 x 2, Combo audio x1
Dimension 245mm (W) x 528mm (H) x 575mm (D)

Please note that there are a couple of things that were really difficult to make out, so I’ve italicized and bolded them. Also the max GPU clearance clearly doesn’t make sense but that’s how it appears on the card. The dual 9.5mm optical drive bays is kind of a head scratcher too.

I just hope I’m way off with the “CPU limitation” as I don’t want to give up my NH-D15.

[EDIT] Just a thought… as the case takes a rear 140mm fan next to the rear I/O, I’d hazard a guess that there’s more than enough clearance for an NH-D15. My logic is that my FT02 uses a 120mm fan in the rear, and doesn’t have much extra clearance between it and the side panel but my NH-D15 fits just fine… albeit with the tips of it’s heatpipes poking into the noise dampening foam on the side panel.

1 Like

Exciting stuff! Finally a case with modern connectivity and more than two 5.25″ external drive bays.

I counted 7 from the video you linked. The cavity at the bottom with the PSU appears to have the screw holes offset ever so slightly.

I’m wondering how this math works out. :thinking:

EDIT: if the 4 total 5.25″ external drive bays is in addition to the SAS/SATA hot-swap bays, then I think the space occupied by the PSU in the video may actually be capable of hosting additional 5.25″ devices. :open_mouth:

One quick note. My first post made it sound like I thought there were 11x 5.25" but it was just because of a poor turn of phrase. Which I’ve now fixed with an edit.

I can see what you’re on about. Good eye. I really think that there are 10x 5.25" bays though. I have a theory on that though…

Here’s my theory…

The HDD hotswap cages are removable 3x 5.25" to 4x 3.5" adaptors. As evidenced by the fact that they appear to be screwed into the vertical piece of metal inside the case, on both the sides of the case, where 5.25" devices are normally screwed in. Those two cages would also account for the first point on the list above.

That would leave the 5.25" at the top of the case, that Steve mentions in the Gamers Nexus video, along with 3x 5.25" at the bottom of the case, but more on that in a moment. That would take care of the second point.

As for the “internal 3.5” x1". I’d guess that it was on the backside of the mobo tray somewhere, as I can’t see any sign of it or space for it in the main chamber of the case. I also believe that the “2.5” x2" are also behind the motherboard tray. There is a brief glimpse of what appears to be a 2.5" SSD at 10:42 in the video. It does look a tad too large maybe but I can’t think what else it could be… especially as it appears to be fasten to the mobo tray using some kind of bracket secured with a thumbscrew.

That leaves the “9.5mm slim optical drive x 2”… Which clearly aren’t anywhere to be found in either the Gamers Nexus of KitGuru videos. So the only conclusion I can draw is that the info card shown in the videos, is not accurate… but

If you put down the “9.5mm slim optical drive x 2” as being incorrect, as I can’t see how it can be correct from the video evidence. Then everything else either is correct or could be correct based on the videos. Assuming the internal 3.5" is somewhere out of sight on the rear of the motherboard tray. So perhaps the 9.5mm optical drives are simply an option for one of the 5.25" bays?

Just going back to the misaligned screws though. An ATX PSU is wider than 5.25" but if you look closely at the the vertical piece of metal with the holes for what are presumably the 5.25" bays (10:56 in the Gamers Nexus video), you’ll see two things. First of all, the lower most section appears to be a separate piece of metal that is held in place by a thumb screw. Earlier in the video, you can see a second thumbscrew too. On the other side of the case, behind the motherboard tray, I could not see any thumbscrews but the screw holes all look to be in line to my eyes. So I would guess that the rear side is a single piece, top to bottom, to add rigidity to the case.

So what I’m thinking is that the small piece of metal held in place by the thumbscrew, can have it’s position changed so that when the second PSU isn’t installed, the case would have the extra 3x 5.25". Add that to the 1x 5.25" at the top, and the 8x SAS / SATA hot swap disks, and that’s most of the spec covered.

What’s more, if you look really closely at the same frame in the video, you can see that there are three sets of double holes on the lower piece of metal. Further pointing toward the possibility that there are 3x 5.25" at the bottom of the case. If those holes at the bottom, that are in a near identical alignment to the top bay, which has a 5.25" device in it… are in fact for 5.25" bays, then it stands to reason that the six other sets of double holes between the top and bottom 5.25" bays, are also evidence of a further 6x 5.25". Making the total of 10 5.25" bays, that I believe the case has.

One other thing I’ve just noticed about the case, that I wanted to mention, is that the 5.25" bays don’t appear to have any of those annoying, inward folded tabs. They’re meant to help align 5.25" in their bays but they’ve only ever caused compatibility problems for me. It is of course possible that the case in the video is a pre-production unit and that the final spec will have them but I’m hoping that it doesn’t… if it does, then I’m cutting the buggers off, day one.

I’ve found a few pictures on a Japanese website that answer a couple of questions, and raise a few more.

The first pic reveals more detail about the exterior of the front door, and the layout of the front i/o panel.

The second picture solves a few mysteries.

• The 2x 2.5" internal disks are mounted directly behind the CPU slot on the motherboard, via a removable bracket that covers much of the CPU heatsink bracket cutout. If you look closely, the bracket has “SSD” stamped into it’s surface.
  • The 1x 3.5" internal disk is lower down on the rear side of the motherboard tray. Again via the use of a removable bracket. It appears that the bracket uses grommets attached to the 3.5" disk itself, to provide semi-toolless, disk installation and removal. If rubber grommets are used, they should help a little with vibration damping.
  • On the left side of the picture, in line with the screws for the 5.25" bay devices. There’s access hole toward the bottom of the case, for getting to one of the screws for the 5.25" bays… more on this below.
  • The secondary PSU’s power cable is rerouted to the rear of the case using an adaptor.
  • Someone didn’t plug that cable into the rear PSU properly.
  • Along side and at the top and bottom of the main bunch of cables that run vertically behind the mobo tray. There appears to be some kind of lips or metal flaps for cable management tie downs… I’ve not seen that before.

I can’t glean much information from this third shot but I thought I may as well include it anyway. The dust filter looks janky though.

As for accessing the 5.25" bay screws…

Looking at the second picture made me think. There would be no way accessing the holes for the 5.25", that are normally positioned toward the front of the case for shorter devices. I hope this is just because the case is still a work in progress, and that the final version will have these holes but perhaps Silverstone only intend longer 5.25" to be installed. Devices such as the HDD cages that are installed in the display model. I do wonder though, whether that single column of screws is all that’s holding the 4x 3.5" drive cages in place.

3 Likes

it shall be here soon ™

7 Likes

You can see the covers for the slim optical drives at bottom of each HDD unit. Hopefully this means they are integrated into the backplane unlike the CS382.

I just hope the sticker shock isn’t too bad. Because I really want a CS383 full of the new second gen Noctua NF-A14’s.

Welcome to the forums!

I must admit that I was a bit skeptical at first. I looked back through the videos and at the handful of pictures I can find, and there are a few things that make it seam like them being optical drive bay covers, a bit unlikely. The more I look at them though, the more I think you’re correct. Good eye.

It’s a really nice use of space… it would also seam to confirm that the 4x 3.5" cages are included with the case, as that would account for the 2x 9.5mm, and 8+1 3.5" drives in the spec. It also lends weight to my theory that the device in the uppermost 5.25" won’t be included with the retail version, and that it’s just for demonstration purposes.

[EDIT] Cooling is going to be interesting in this case. My plan would be to remove at least one of the 4x 3.5" cages. Which would mean I’d need to buy brackets for the front bays in order to have any fans up front. I hope the removable plate at the bottom of the 5.25" bays can have a fan mounted to it. Even with both cages in place though, the rear fan and the possibility of three fans in the roof certainly make me wonder what the best cooling configuration will be.

[EDIT] Despite what I originally said (hidden below as a spoiler), the pictures below do in fact confirm that the HDD cages shown in the CS383, and below, also have a slot for a 9.5mm drive. Which is neat.

So much for the theory of the 9.5mm drives being at the bottom of the HDD cages…

It was a nice theory while it lasted but here’s a picture of the HDD cage in question, along with a shot of it’s spec card, that show that it does not contain a 9.5mm drive.

There are also a couple of pictures of the device shown in the top 5.25" bay.

Here’s another picture of the CS383.

Source: Computex 2024 Live Coverage | TechPowerUp

Han my boy, the second image you posted explicitly lists “1 x Slim ODD device” under “Drive support”

I’ve flopped on hoping they’re integrated into the backplane. If they aren’t, that’s space for more m.2 drives.

1 Like

I think it might be time for me to book an appointment at the opticians.

Based on the gamers nexus video, they are targeting 400$ for the case,

But also there’s not much cooling for this case, especially intake, only 2-3 92mm fans upfront is pretty bad for so many hard drives(8-12) and then CPU, GPU, PCIe Cards, etc

They show 2 air-cooled 4090s, but isn’t that a crazy amount of heat to maintain? Unless they expect you to keep the side panel off 24/7🤔

It would be cool if the side panel had 3x vertical 120-140mm holes, similar to the CS380

I agree that the cooling on the CS383 looks questionable. However I have a CS380 and honestly the cooling on it isn’t very good. The side panel vents only line up with the drive bay fans ~50% and with the bump out on the case side panel even then don’t actually forcibly pull fresh air into the case. There’s essentially only a single exhaust fan with no intake fans.

1 Like

I have the CS382 case which is mATX. It was used for my old server which I’ve since retired since what I’m doing, which I can easily do from one PC. Yes I’m that kind of guy, function over form, practicality over aesthetics.

Currently using my Fractal Define 7 XL case which has served me well, but it’s been torn apart so many times (due to water cooling, hardware changes, testing etc), that it’s lost rigidity and my 3 x 12 TB HDD have been causing an absolute chaotic resonance in the case. Compared to my CS382 which had none of those issues, the 7 XL actually feels like a hunk of annoying metal.

Unfortunately the CS382 is just too small, considering my CPU cooler is a Noctua NH-D15 and my graphics card is an Asus RTX 4090 Strix, not to mention the ATX motherboard which will definitely not fit in the CS382 as well. This is where I hope the CS383 could solve those issues, but from what I can see the Strix card isn’t going to fit in there, unless I get some kind of AIO cooling on it.

But I have to say those front loaded HDD trays SilverStone use are really nice, for some reason they really absorb a lot of vibrations. Considering the case has no sound dampening panels, that’s really well done.

P.S: Regarding those front fans they are 92mm and absolutely terrible! I replaced mine with 92mm x 15mm from Noctua, and got some 5mm 3D printed adapters made so the fan wasn’t placed directly up against the backside of the SAS/SATA panel.

Really interested in that fs204b-us. Unfortunately, though, I doubt its going to be a decent price for the thing that it is. I hope it’ll be around 100 dollars but I know it won’t be. It’ll likely be a more down to earth option than the current 300 dollar solution from icydock, though. I don’t understand how they think it’s reasonable to charge 300 dollars for 2 fans and 20 little folded bits of metal duct taped to a PCB, but I guess that just means that I am not their target market. I would be if they were sub 100 dollars like they should be, since I have 28 of these u.2 drives that need to go somewhere. Additionally, they have somehow gone up in price by 100 dollars over the last 5 years, so it seems like they are going the way of mcdonalds with increasing pricing until they outprice their usefulness.

If you don’t mind going the DIY route, and have alot of space, you could buy a couple of these

ZhenLoong 4 Bay U.2 NVMe SSD Hot Swap
https://a.aliexpress.com/_EGkF9Rt

And yeah i agree Silverstone products are expensive, it is priced for enterprise users.

What is funny is that i bet it’ll be significantly more expensive than equivalent icydock products even they have been out for a while now (4-Bay U.2 and 8-Bay M.2), i just hope companies on AliExpress make a cheaper version for homelab people

Sure hope there’s a cheaper ver. They cost so much more than they’re worth.

Thank you for the suggestions. If I go that route, I’m likely to just buy the Intel u.2 one with 8x slots lol

Intel - A2U8X25S3PHS ?

I didn’t even know that was a thing until today, thank you! It looks pretty cool if it supports pcie 4.0

Happy to help! Not sure if it does pcie 4. Pretty cheap, though - just gotta find me some cheap way to adapt to oculink 4i…