[Showcase] Compulsive cable management --> one of my bucket list projects

This was one of those ‘that would be cool’ ideas that rolled around in my head for almost a decade. The 24 pin and 4 pin power connectors have been moved to the other side of the board for a cleaner open air pc.
A custom set of adapters means the power supply didn’t need to be modified, this way I don’t risk letting the smoke out of anything in the event that it needs to be harvested.
There is an M.2 port on the underside of the motherboard, but I think the SATA drive adds something to it so I haven’t sprung for that yet. Currently in service running my 3d printers and associated cameras.

Let me know what you think! If you’ve got any suggestions for what you think would look better I’d love to hear em!

There first three pictures are from early on.

To add the SSD I shortened a SATA power cable to keep the external wiring to a minimum and glued a bracket to the frame for a mounting point. I played with a couple locations for the drive but I liked how the power cable looked routing through the 24/4 pin loop.

And here’s it’s current form. Don’t look at the dusty parts.

I had to get serious about controlling the wiring inside to avoid modifying the power supply. I’m really pleased with how it all turned out.

15 Likes

This is such a cool build! I went ITX for the first time in my 20 PC building life and I’m loving it so far. I will have to one day sit down and make the time to redo cables like you did and shorten them to get more airflow going in my Meshlicious case.

I redesigned the frame to mount to some hot swap drive bays. The pictures are a little grainy, it’s cloudy today and I didn’t realize just how much my photo booth relies on sunlight from the nearby window until now.

Since I was reworking the design, I swapped out the power supply for a lower power unit that I bought on sale recently. The pinouts for the modular cables were different, but a few minutes with a multimeter let me map that out and repin the molex cable I had made with the new pinout.

psu_pinouts

I’d like the sata cables to be cleaner (obviously) but my research on custom length sata cables hasn’t turned up any reasonable solutions. There is room under the motherboard that I could mostly hide some more flexible cables in the future.

This machine has been running a copy of repetier-server and hosting my wireguard server to let me check on my printers while I’m out. I wanted to spend some time learning about network storage so this seemed like a good opportunity to rework this project.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.