Show off your CHIA mining rigs!

yeah, service time is fine for them to guarantee, but Flash writing (and erasing) is destructive, so TBW / P/E cycles are limited from the get go.

Personally I run stuff WELL past guaranteed lifetime, but I can’t expect to RMA something that has knowingly worn out.

And yeah, QLC is trash, but most people just Don’t really re-write that much

1 Like

I fucking hate crypto. It is memedom and at the same time ruining the hardware business for people that want to back up locally their shit. i.e. mass storage of my blurays and dvds, my home videos and pictures. I could care less about gpu shortage as opposed to a hdd and ssd shortage. This upsets me.

5 Likes

I don’t mind people using tech they already have in the downtime, as they had the stuff anyway.

Not sure I like the idea of buying commercial / gamer stuff and then mis-appropriating it.

2 Likes

Mainly, I don’t want to have to pay an arm and a leg for a hdd. im willing to spend like 340 on a 16tb drive. not 600 or 800 the way things are heading.

4 Likes

same with GPU’s.

1 Like

Maybe 5 years ago when i did game. but I have barely touched anything besides the one month spree of minecraft. and that game runs on a potato.

2 Likes

It kinda filters down tho, for good or bad.

Top end gets scalped, so mid tiers get over priced, and still sell out.
The low tier gets raised.

2 Likes

It does indeed filter down. I feel like when I was in college and knew of bitcoin i lost my chance. I had a person in my dorm mining bitcoin like crazy when it was less than 100 bucks. Before ASIC

I had the wrong setup then a macbook pro…

2 Likes

I sometimes wonder, Bitcoin fueled the places where one could get like drugs and a hitman and stuff.

Hitmen might need to go on the run for a while till “the heat dies down”

I wonder if some bad actors didn’t exchange their bounty early, and are now super rich?

And I think I should stop posting crap outside the lounge and go to bed; night man

2 Likes

derBauer says ramdisk works fine. Someone should compare odds to just burning money on the lottery…

Anyway his video is enlightening on best hardware & and heavy CPU usage. Maybe not as green as people think it is…

3 Likes

It’s green in the sense that it uses a fraction of the power required for Bitcoin, quite literally. I was trying to find a graph/data but it’s like 1% of the power usage. It does create ewaste just the same but Bitcoin does the same when ASICs become obsolete. It can be “green” without being perfect.

1 Like

You’re not the only one.

I’ve been indifferent to crypto so far, but this latest one is down right retarded. You aren’t even guaranteed a steady payout. You get a “chance to win” a chia coin based on how many plots you store.
It’s a fucking lottery! And each lottery ticket takes up ~ 100 GB. It was well desribed in derbauers video.
If you fill up an 8 tb drive and then stop, you’re never gonna “win” a coin. You’ll be left in dust by the idiots sucking up the entire hdd market.
You’ll have to keep buying drives and making new plots to maintain your chance of getting paid!

My theory is that Bram Cohen either bought heavily into the stocks of seagate/wd/toshiba/(whomever makes storage), or they contracted him to make this piece of shit malware crypto…

I bet they were totally jelly of nvidia and amd going gangbusters with their gpu sales.

1 Like

They are already working on introducing pooling for Chia. So it will be exactly like normal crypto.

A mate is mining chia with ramdisk :slight_smile:

He’s got a couple of spare servers with a tb of ram each.

IMHO mining chia with SSD is dumb, given the wear. By the time you keep replacing them, using RAM will be cheaper.

I mean chia in general is dumb… but at least RAM doesn’t wear out.

How does this work then, is RAM not wearing out the same as SSDs ?

With pooling in place, you will still need CPU and RAM as one off to create plots and then you can use rPI with HDDs connected over USB to do the farming.

I would rather burn some SSDs than reducing RAM longevity which is much higher in price.

In terms of the profitability of farming even small amount. Once pooling is in place darling some mojo with small HDD might still produce large yield in 5 years time when coin goes for 10k pop.

1 Like

Is this pedocoin v2

1 Like

Flash (Nand -SATA/NVMe and Optane) write using a destructive method. The drives might outlast the Rated TBW limit, but as each cell gives in, the writable capacity drops, untill the controller switches it to read only near the end.
This is a known part of the design, but allows for much faster random access than HDD, and so is acceptable.
QLC drives have bits so dense, the writing wears it away quickest, where SLC has such slack built in, it lasts a lot longer per cell, but there are a lot fewer of them.
Optane is a New technology, but don’t fully take Intel’s promise that it lasts more than 10 times what it’s Nand compatriots do (or the 1000 times they dreamed up when making the tech)

Ram on the other hand is not destructive to write to, and will keep on going. But it Is more expensive, and not That much faster than NVMe for plotting.
Lots of new motherboards will have a couple M.2 sockets, so might take up to 4TB of NVMe. Not many home users can fit 4TB of memory in their computers (let alone splurge on the expense)

3 Likes

Interesting. It’s still probably not feasible to plot on ramdisk from what I gather unless someone wants to plot small amount. Taking to consideration that plotting process can be speed up by allocating more treads and ram to the process it’s probably more feasible to have a lot plots being created on NVME with high RAM and a lot of cores to support it.

I’m still not sure if having medium TBW NVME like 2TB sabrent with 3115 TBW would even reduce its life by half after 160TB plotted.

1 Like

Bitcoin isn’t designed and tuned specifically to trick consumers into halving the life of their system drive, or worse, in the name of the illusion of a chance for a token of undetermined exchange value and no practical use in isolation.
I’d say Chia is honestly just as bad, and the only silver lining is that maybe, if it has a brief spike in popularity, there might be an influx of drives with high write endurance hitting the market just as demand dries up.

1 Like

One k32 writes 1.8TiB in non-bitfield mode and 1.6 TiB with bitfield enabled. More on bitfield in a moment.

one k32 is 109GB.

160,000GB/108.8GB = 1470.5 k32 plots
1470p * 1.6TBw = 2352 TBW.
It would barely survive and likely have data retention issues. On top of that, that’s a very heavy, sustained long-term workload that could kill the controller or reduce the effective endurance of the flash memory, as hot writes are harder on the hardware.

So yeah, chia is actually a conspiracy to produce ewaste.

1 Like