Show me your "Spare" rig's!

Prototype

Can't really be more specific

just seemed kind of strange because you are in HS.

At a university there are plenty of basic lab jobs I know college students can get.

1 Like

no

private college that I pay for myself by working at this lab

3 Likes

I guess I thought you were younger than I believed. What major are you studying?

Spares!

The top is an HP StorageWorks. I forget the model number, maybe D2600 or something like that. Below it is an HP DL380 G5. I have two more, but I parted them out to bring that one as far along as I can (call it "The best of what's left"). Then a bunch of space, followed by a Dell of some sort, then an HP DL320(?) of similar vintage to the 380. The beast at the bottom is another Dell of some kind. It's got two quad core Xeons that I believe are from the Core 2 era. It still has some life left in it.

Anyways, this whole rack's setup was finalized just last night. I have my virtualization and storage boxen that my whole family relies on. Now I have a dev/test environment. Ho. Ho. Ho.

2 Likes

Cyber defense bachelor

1 Like

Oh look a thread
Here's my spare rigs

1 Like

Interesting, I am going for a BS in computer science. I dont know much about cyber defense more about development and algorithms.

Let me know if you would ever want to do a collaboration project any time I would like to learn some cyber defense.

"We're gonna build a firewall, it's gonna be great!"

1 Like

"believe me"

Mine is purely console killer.
7850 APU clocked at 4,1Ghz, gpu clocked at 900Mhz(I think, else it is 866).
16 gig memory Running at 2400hz
120gb boot ssd boot media, 1gb games/whatever HD.
rest is just sortta meh hardware.
And it beats any consoles like a grand canyon mule.
in both versatility, and gameability.
And heck the price is about the same.

Poweredge 2900
2x Xeon E5345's
48GB RAM
3.5TB of storage between the 7 drives I currently have (I will be adding another drive, and eventually get larger ones)

I will add pics of my other stuff when I get home, that's the only one I had readily available.

2x Dell PowerEdge R210 [4 Core, 8GB Ram]
1x Dell PowerEdge R610 [2x 6C|12T, 48GB RAM]
1x Dell PowerEdge R710 [2x 6C|12T, 48GB RAM]
2x IBM x3250 M3 [4C|8T, 12GB RAM]
1x IBM X3650 M2 [2x 4C|8T, 24GB RAM]

Outside server room:
1x IBM Tower Server
2x i7 1st gen Desktops Server
1x Core2 Duo Desktop Server

Not in the rack [Spares]:
3x Dell PowerEdge 1950
2x Dell PowerEdge 2950

1 Like

My Spare Rig is an ITX build, too bad I messed up on the CPU and Mobo, makes me not regret waiting for Kaby Lake, but it's not like I knew they were coming out with a Hyperthreaded Pentium.

Mini ITX Rig Specs:
Case: Silverstone Mini-ITX Small Form Factor Case with Handle (ML08B-H)
CPU: AMD A4 5300B
(The Motherboard did NOT work with the Athlon X4 845, which was very, very unfortunate as I wanted to use the Athlon X4 845, was too worried that any lower tier AMD CPU was too underpowered for Dolphin emulation, but that turned out to be untrue somehow), leaving me to get this potato CPU for $18, and I was not allowed to OC it past 3570 MHz)
Motherboard: MSI FM2+ A68HI Mini-ITX mobo
RAM: 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 RAM (or was it 1866 MHz RAM, I forgot, I think I went for the faster one cause it was just as cheap)
GPU: AMD R7 360 (I bought it a while ago for $85 months before Pascal and Polaris)
Storage: 1 TB 2.5" 5400 RPM Hard Drive
Optical Drive: Slim Blu-Ray RE drive.
PSU: Silverstone 450W SFX Power Supply (80+ Bronze)
Operating Systems: Ubuntu 16.10 and Windows 10 Pro

With such a mashed up build, it performs very well, even Dolphin emulation was fine, which I did not think to be possible with such a weak CPU. Maybe it's the GPU that's been a minor problem on my tablet. Speaking of which I also have a back up mobile computer although I had this one first before the Surface Pro 2:

Back Up Dell Latitude Laptop (Forgot the model name):
CPU: Intel Core i3 3110M
RAM: 16 (2x8) GB DDR3 1600 MHz RAM (Upgraded from 4 GB)
HDD: 750 GB WD Black 7200 RPM HDD (Upgraded from a 320 GB WD Blue 5400 RPM HDD)
GPU: Intel HD 4000
Operating Systems: Ubuntu 16.04 and Windows 8.1.