Show me your "Spare" rig's!

I used to have like 20-30 more machines but I decided I wanted processors rather than companies so now I'm after versions of processors. If the machine had a tooling I wasn't getting rid of it.

Fair enough. You've got a damn impressive collection one way or another.

Any chance i could get a few parts for a home server/nas?

I mean... If it was a collection it would be more organised and none of it would be doing heavy loads. Like ever.

TBH I'm more impressed that I remembered everything from looking at the pictures I took while running all over the house frantically.

Hey what are those lenovo laptops? And are you selling any?

1 Like

Barebones T400s, a couple of T61s and a T60. And one T40.

noooooot really.

I just need the drive caddy and a couple of screws, albeit I would like one of the T400, could you go into detail with which exact model? I know your not selling, but would you be willing with the previous?

They're completely barebones, no drive sleds, RAM, batteries, adapters... they do have DVD drives, wireless cards and CPUs, but that's it.

Damn, okay

Not at the moment, sorry.

Seriously... I'd be down to get one. Those things are tanks.

No really, that keyboard tho

Hey could you give a comprehensive list of parts in that pile, and payment methods

Here's a spare rig of mine that will be going to my best friend once I find a PSU for it, and figure out how to power both the 24 pin ATX12v and the 20 pin ATX12v the motherboard requires.
It's a Dell Precision 490 with dual x5355 quad core Xeons, 8GB of RAM, and a GTX 660ti I had laying around.

Figured I might aswell post that zombie:

That is an Asus branded chassis
with an FSP Group 430W PSU pulled from a dead office PC
MSI K9AGM2 (maybe, not sure anymore)
AMD Athlon X2 7750
4GB DDR2 800
AMD FX-8000 series stock cooler (actually amazing)
AMD HD-5570
Generic 4-port USB PCI card
Creative SoundBlaster Live CT4830 (because onboard sound is about the same quality as stepping on a duck)
3.5" Floppy drive
x16 CD/DVD burner
400GB Seagate Harddrive
Intake fan(The little black one in the front): Scrapp part from dead PSU
Outlet fan (the red one in the back): Scrapp part from dead PSU

Additional note: Apart from noise levels and boot times, it is a nice backup rig. Total cost of that build was 0€
Compared to my "Lazarus level"-PC... which may or may not be based on the second PC I ever owned... (if anyone wants to see that, I make a thread for that).

1 Like

At the moment this is the only fully working computer that is moderately useful and isn't in use (such as my server and pfSense router).

• Intel Q8300
  • 4GB of DDR2 800
  • ASUS P5P51D motherboard
  • 40GB Toshiba 2.5 HDD inside the enclosure
  • 80GB Seagate 2.5 HDD in the top hotswap bay
  • 500GB WD Blue 3.5 HDD in the bottom hotswap bay
  • Intel Stock Cooler
  • NVIDIA GT 730 (because it doesn't have onboard graphics)
  • TP-LINK N900 802.11/n PCIe WiFi card
  • Some crappy PSU (I'm pretty sure its an HP OEM unit)
  • Logic Case SC-216 2U chassis

If my main computer ever shits the bed, then this is probably the second most powerful machine that I have right now.

I'm not selling anything... did you mean to reply to someone else?

Blurry pics incoming

Old rig that my mom now uses
Phenom 9650 2.3Ghz
8GB DDR2
Some size Samsung SSD
Pretty sure a 5970
ECS A780GM-A Mobo

One time I got her to Play Heroes of the Storm
Loves watching TV on this thing

This was my Fedora laptop-

Gave it an extra two years of life, got it for free.
Pretty much burnt through the pcb sooo

Anyway, I like fedora and keeping it around so this is ver 2:

Its a Dell XPS with a Centrino.
4GB RAM
SSD of some kind
Battery Works!
Pretty snappy

Next is a build that I can't decide what to do with.
I was gonna make this a TV streamer, or steam streamer, but I really haven't decided. Has a q9650
I wanna put more than 4GB of ram in it though
Needs work, and probably a different power supply

This next one I've reloaded with so much different stuff. Its nice to experiment.

Pretty sure it has a 2.0 core 2 or something.
4gb ram
128mb GPU (lol)
couple of 64GB ssds
This thing has been a Linux machine of various types, including a freenas server and my first pfsense tester. Its also been gutted like a million times.

Windows Server:

Cause why not use my student copy of Server 2012 from MS?
Also wish I had better pics
Also it has a GPU for no reason lol
Also Drives even though I have hardly used it, at least 1TB
Its offline and hasn't been doing shit

Next up is a PFsense/FreeNas/whatever setup that I'm still deciding on. See, the problem with having a ton of older, cool hardware, is deciding wth you wanna do with it.
6GB of Ram
q6600
couple of 500GB HDs

Also this thing
My Dell 2120 Atom
Cause the Hinge on the inside is broke
I don't wanna throw it away cause its cool and tiny, but I can't resell it cause the inside is fucked. It opens and closes fine, but only because I'm the only one opening and closing it.
I need a lighter OS for this thing 16.04 is not kind to this little guy, and I'd like to keep it for a shop laptop.

Thats all for now

1 Like

What kind of lab do you work in?

Mine are in a crate pilled up. I do look fondly at the old Q6600 CPU / MB and wish I had a use for it. I spent 100's of hours on that platform and just cant toss it out.

VPS's are so cheap and easy now. But there is no love, sweat and tears :)

1 Like