Should We Be Using Add-on Extensions In Browser

That one has been a continuous challenge for our data engineers. They’ve got some… Methods, but we can’t really be too sure how well it works.

Suddenly a dude who’s tagged with fitness, conservative and single is looking at a my little pony plushie or something. Throws off the algorithms but we can’t be sure if he’s shopping for his niece.

3 Likes

does it have a firefox equivalent?

Something something judging a book by it’s cover something something bad.

2 Likes

Idk but I think there are other extensions that do something similar. I don’t actually use it, it’s just on my radar.

Here I don’t agree with you. All this reads like the typical excuse of someone who has fully surrendered to the system. All this talk that growing up somehow means leaving your ethic at the doorstep. If you can’t get a different job because you don’t have the qualifications yet or you need the well paying unmoral job because you have to support your family, fine everyone needs to get by. If you could have a different job and just don’t want to because it is good for your career, then that’s on you. Sarges good intentions in all honor, but I am certain in the end he will just have supported and evil corporation.

On the topic of NoScript, I don’t use it for privacy reasons. i think that automatically loading random code from the internet and letting your computer execute it is a potential security issue.

1 Like

Ethics are fine. I never said leave them behind. You are free to disagree but at the end of the day if all the good leaves something; you leave just the bad behind to become far worse and way more powerful. Theres enough nefarious people in the world to prop up these organizations any day of the year. Learned enough lessons to know this is exactly true. Though Im not going to continue to explain it. I dont really have time for the good vs evil argument in my day to day. Im willing to entertain it outside of this thread (time willing)

Its also derailing the entire purpose of the thread and I would appreciate it if any further conversation about ethics or good vs evil be taken to the lounge.

Here is a post of my plugins

Add-ons
Name 	Type 	Version 	Enabled 	ID
Bitwarden - Free Password Manager	extension	1.53.0	true	{446900e4-71c2-419f-a6a7-df9c091e268b}
CanvasBlocker	extension	1.6.1	true	[email protected]
ClearURLs	extension	1.21.0	true	{74145f27-f039-47ce-a470-a662b129930a}
Cookie AutoDelete	extension	3.6.0	true	[email protected]
Dark Reader	extension	4.9.39	true	[email protected]
DuckDuckGo	extension	1.1	true	[email protected]
ETag Stoppa	extension	0.4	true	[email protected]
Firefox Multi-Account Containers	extension	7.4.0	true	@testpilot-containers
Flagfox	extension	6.1.43	true	{1018e4d6-728f-4b20-ad56-37578a4de76b}
Honey	extension	12.8.4	true	jid1-93CWPmRbVPjRQA@jetpack
IPvFoo	extension	1.42	true	[email protected]
Laboratory	extension	3.0.8	true	1b2383b324c8520974ee097e46301d5ca4e076de387c02886f1c6b1503671586@pokeinthe.io
LocalCDN	extension	2.6.16	true	{b86e4813-687a-43e6-ab65-0bde4ab75758}
Privacy Badger	extension	2021.8.17	true	jid1-MnnxcxisBPnSXQ@jetpack
Privacy Possum	extension	2019.7.18	true	woop-NoopscooPsnSXQ@jetpack
Smart Referer	extension	0.2.15	true	[email protected]
Temporary Containers	extension	1.9.2	true	{c607c8df-14a7-4f28-894f-29e8722976af}
Terms of Service; Didn’t Read	extension	4.1.2	true	jid0-3GUEt1r69sQNSrca5p8kx9Ezc3U@jetpack
uBlock Origin	extension	1.38.2	true	[email protected]
uMatrix	extension	1.4.4	true	[email protected]
User-Agent Switcher and Manager	extension	0.4.7.1	true	{a6c4a591-f1b2-4f03-b3ff-767e5bedf4e7}
Wikipedia (en)	extension	1.1	true	[email protected]

I really dont think that Privacy Badger and Privacy Possom are good any longer. There is discussion that they are a detriment to privacy

I need to look for them. I like the idea of that. Noise for the internet. Any idea how they fully work. Is there a github?

3 Likes

When you phrase it like that, it’s exactly a security issue.

3 Likes

Idk

1 Like

I too work for a large internet company that makes most of the revenue from ads… in fact I work on a team that takes care of ads serving infrastructure, … happy to answer questions / discuss.

In general the various companies don’t want to show useless ads. Ads can be useless because the landing page quality sucks, they can be useless in a particular personalization context, or they can be useless in a context of a page/feed/query. In general the idea is to compute a predicted click through rate based on all that’s known at the time of an ad request and determine whether or not an ad candidate is a good match. Usually this ends up involving lots of different kinds of ML and different kinds of “denormalized lookups” of various things that originated from various databases.

When you remove personalization you make the ads shown crappier, and advertisers (e.g. companies selling stuff) get less for each dollar they spend on internet ads, and they end up either spending more or spending elsewhere.

I’m not entirely convinced depersonalized ads (e.g. traditional TV ads / not ads inserted by individual streaming boxes) are better than typical internet ads. And I’m not entirely convinced that direct ad sales on the internet result in less annoying ads.

I do agree that the amount of data that’s given to various ads networks is unsettling, … but where do you draw the line / how do you balance how much you’re willing to give up to not see toilet paper, hot pockets, insurance, and car ads.

Re browser extensions… things like noiszy are a great idea… however I’m concerned they might hurt the small websites trying to go down direct ad sales route more than they’d hurt large ad networks. Also, I’m guessing it’s not very popular.

In general you could use umatrix and separate browser profiles for different things. On top of that, you could use Tor if you’re ok with the extra latency.

1 Like

IDK I think TOR is at the point where it draws more attention that no. If you are going to use it. You need to run with within a VPN to make it quasi-double blind

1 Like

VPNs could be good, anything that randomizes IPs in order to make it harder to correlate sessions across devices/browsers helps with privacy.

Some VPNs basically give you the same internet visible IP for every new outgoing TCP connection that is then not shared with others until you disconnect/reconnect, this is great for things like Netflix and so on, sucks for privacy. Tor is less stable.

1 Like

Plugins dead.

Now if someone in this thread wants to be an angel they could pick up its development :wink:

brings up the relevant topic is that plugins change and so do browsers. some die… firefox might… seeing the direction mozilla is going :confused: and its a constantly changing world. Lots of noise. How do you sort?

2 Likes

Oh, by the way:

3 Likes

The name kind of reminds of “HijackThis!”. Interesting link.

—————-
Its sort of like the Ad Nauseum plugin. It fakes a lot of tracking. I sort of dislike it.

Now I’m not saying it is without merit, but i dont think more false tracking is the solution to tracking.

dear jesus thats alot to keep track of; I’d lose like a day a month just double checking the state of all those and then it would be a nightmare resetting it up everytime I spun up a new windows install

2 Likes