Should I upgrade my GPU, or should I get a G-Sync monitor instead?

I currently have an ASUS DirectCU II 780 and a BenQ XL2420TE, both are about 2 years old. I've been trying to weigh a decision for a while, do I upgrade to a 980ti, or do I get a g-sync monitor, like the ROG Swift PG279Q? I know that going up to 1440p is going to be more taxing overall, but would g-sync counter most of that overhead? I could go the 980ti route, but that's gonna be so overkill on a 1080p screen imo. I'd rather not SLI my 780 as I'd like to stay current in the present-gen features. Should I get the monitor and wait for the next lineup of card to drop? What do you guys think? I also considered AMD and freesync, but I already own shield things, so I'd like to stay team green.

System specs:

i7 4790k @ 4.4GHz
16gb @ 1600MHz
Card stated above
Asus Maximus VI Hero
Corsair RM850
OCZ Vertex 4 256GB
Samsung 850 EVO 500GB
WD 2TB Black

I would grab the monoprice 1440p monitor and the Fury (non X). I would rather have a lovely IPS display than a higher refresh rate or adaptive sync. The Fury can push games at 1440p just fine anyway.

I would go with the Rog Swift monitor and wait on the gpu the 780 is still a good card and should last till the next generation.

1 Like

agreed

i would stay away from g sync simply because it will force you to stay with nvidia unless if you want to spend a lot more next upgrade so go with a graphics card.