Shallow server case or other options

I was to recase my server. It was handy while I was learning and before Asus got their KVM to work right. It doesn’t have the best layout for cooling and is somewhat loud. By the time I replace fans, I probably should have looked for a new case anyways. By biggest constraint is that I am using a networking rack in the top of my office closet. I measured and I have 14-5/8 from the rail to the back, ~16" (406mm) of depth if I want to close the door.

Hardware:
AsusRack X570D4U-2L2T
Ryzen 3600 (will be upgraded to 5900X once I upgrade my desktop)
4x 4gb 3.5" drives in parity raid
a 12 or 16gb drive 3.5"
with a couple of M.2s on the board
a blue-ray and dvd-rw drive

Looking at the best way to rehome with within the constraints of my rack. I was thinking about using something like my Thermaltake Core G3 for CPU and then 3D printing or 5.25" drive to 3.5" enclosures mounted to a shelf above it, maybe doing the same thing with the optical drives as well. I’ve also looked at something like the Fractal Define R5 and leave it sticking out our a Node 804.

Open to case suggestions and other ideas. This was a lot easier at the old house with a full size rack in the basement. Unfortunately, here in Torando Alley they don’t build basements.

Link to case:

The Core G3 will not be the case for my next desktop. I don’t mind using it. I have looked at maybe geting a second one and using conversions from 120mm to 3.5" drives. Basically building a JBOD in the front of the case instead of putting the drives on a shelf.

Lots of ways to skin this cat and lots of ways to throw money at it. I wish I could get this e-waste NETAPP at work and just cut the front off it.

This topic was automatically closed after 273 days. New replies are no longer allowed.