Setting up rtsp streams as virtual webcams for classrooms

Hi all,

I am looking to help out a few local schools with a distance learning initiative the have asked for. The school isnt in the best neighborhood and budget cuts arent helping the situation much.

The current plan is to use a hikvision ip cam mounted on the ceiling pointed at the blackboard. And setup the laptop to connect to the rtsp stream as a webcam, where they may select it as an video stream when teaching math etc.

So far I have found splitcam to be acceptable but id like to have the setup require as minimum an intervention as possible. The app requires teachers to run and does not have a trey icon. Ive read a lot about direct show drivers and the like and looked at IP Video Source: 64-bit version, resolution flexibility, Adobe FMLE – Fooling Around . however they are limited in terms of source streams.

Has anyone attempted anything similar…

I have used OBS RTSP input and there is a plugin for it that can output OBS as a webcam device.

OBS Ninja on a Raspberry Pi you can remote into might be another option. OBS Ninja is just WebRTC and Chromium.

I’ll give it a whirl.

this may be fun, I’ll try it as well.

a more ghetto fabulous solution would be to create VLC playlist for the stream and just email it to teachers. it wont do the webcam select interface but it will be simple to implement.

Guarantee you, WebRTC will be much faster than RTSP.

You don’t even have to use OBS Ninja with OBS. It’s a simple WebRTC client. Direct their browser to a specific link and it opens a full screen WebRTC client as if it was a stream.

interesting concept to look into thanks.