Setting up Lan Cache Docker DNS in windows server hyper V?

i’m trying to get lan cache working in docker on an Ubuntu VM in hyper V.

i’ve figured out that the network in hyper V needs to reach out side as does the docker network! i’m just not sure how to navigate and configure the docket network.

last time i tried this, i could ping the ubuntu VM but, when setting it as the DNS in the router it broke DNS for the network.

i thought i’d post on L1T, likely in the wrong sub forum to see if anyone has experience or tips

EDIT: https://lancache.net/

it looks the windows server host can’t even ping the docker containers inside the ubuntu vm

redacted

so i think whats happening is once setup correctly is that it’s creating a DNS loop some how and causing the router to run 100% cpu usage

Not sure if it would be applicable but tailscale has a magicdns feature that uses a mesh network (I think) but haven’t tried this myself for gaming or anything.

1 Like

even if i do ever get it to work right there manual records that need entered for stuff like HASS IO, any time i enable it, the router pegs to 100% and dies. i read all the instructions over 10 ten times and checked and rechecked my setting beyond counting. i never could get it to work right. even when direct setting a machines DNS to lancache i got lackluster/non functional results.

You could run DNS on the Windows server by enabling the DNS role. Just an idea.

i’m not sure how that would work since lanCache vm has to be the DNS