Server backplane question

This is regards to silverstone’s RM43:

A question i had about this, it says this in the backplane diagram:

*Limited to use standalone peripheral (Molex) 4pin cable to connect to each peripheral (Molex) 4pin port from PSU

What does this mean? My PSU molex cable has 4 molex connectors on it. Is this saying I can only use one of em?

Pretty much. The total power draw must not overload the single cable connecting to the PSU.

That said, I expect you can use a single cable with 4 molex connectors per backplane. Do a little math totalling up the max draw of all drives connected to backplane + connected fans to validate.

I’d have to look, but I don’t have that many molex cables in my chassis…

Thank you for your post! I believe a molex connector is good for 130watts, but this i assume would be divided between 4 drives. Each drive im thinking of getting (WD Red Pro 20TB), uses 6-7 watts on average. Fan uses 5watts on average.

I think as far as power consumption it should be okay.

I think the footnote is a lawyer induced CYA thing.

Otherwise some folks will power all 4 backplanes in the RM43 off of a single cable with a bunch of extenders.

1 Like

Ah okay i hope so lol. I was talking to a friend who has the same chassis and did a bunch of splitters and was fine. Assuming my dedicated peripheral cables with the 4 connectors will be okay

I agree. I have a backplane for 6x 4 SAS drives and power them with 2 cables with 3 molex each. Only thing you have to check if if the controller you’re connecting supports staggered startup of the disks.
I’ve lost a (admittedly) too small PSU to a non staggered power up after sleep. Since then, I’ve bought a bigger and better PSU with a large 3,3v and 5v capacity and refrained from using sleep. But I know sleep can work, just don’t want to blow up another PSU.
I now have the 2018 model of the Corsair RM850x because it has 8 molex, 6 PCI-e and 2 CPU connectors. The newer model (2021) has less molex (4 total).

Thanks for your post! How can I check the controller? I’m assuming thats on the mobo? For now, I’m using a consumer B660M-A DDR4 board.

I’m using an HX1000i corsair

Tbh with a chipset controller, I don’t know. I have a old dedicated controller (lsi 9207) but you can always try with 2 drives. Plug them in, start the computer, listen with your ear close to the drive and feel if the drives start up after each other or at the same time. Same check after the drives go to sleep and wake back up. 2 drives should never be a problem for this PSU.
As for the PSU, check the 3,3v and 5v rail and total wattage for that rail. Don’t add the 12v rail(s). If the staggered startup works you’re probably good, otherwise see if there is data regarding the power consumption of startup of the drive you’re using and multiply by the number of drives.